Rite of Spring

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tobysima`

Rite of Spring

Post by tobysima` »

If you could pick two specific instruments to play Rite of Spring on, what are you going with? I think I'm gonna have to pick a British F Tuba and a Kaiser - Both Wessex!

Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
Bob Kolada
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rite of Spring

Post by Bob Kolada »

I've only played this at home, on euph, Eb, and cimbasso. Depending on the group and the acoustics, a big euph and a moderate sized bass tuba, both in the same style (both pistons or rotaries) might be fun. A guy on the old trombone forum said he did it on euph with the other guy on a Yamaha 321 Eb.
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

Bob Kolada wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:12 pm I've only played this at home, on euph, Eb, and cimbasso. Depending on the group and the acoustics, a big euph and a moderate sized bass tuba, both in the same style (both pistons or rotaries) might be fun. A guy on the old trombone forum said he did it on euph with the other guy on a Yamaha 321 Eb.
I've seen people who've done it on two at least 5/4 CC tubas, so I figured anything was game :laugh:

My teacher has told me that the Kaiser British F combo is great. Didn't specifically say for this piece, but it's something I want to hear.
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
Alex C

Post by Alex C »

Stravinsky wrote for French tuba. His concept for tuba sound would originally have been kind of farty in the low register and punchy in the the upper. Using big CC tubas changes those low register sounds to massive. It all works with great players.

The recording I most remember was the LA phil with Bobo playing either a 184 or that tiny Miraphone F they sold in the 1960s. It didn't matter what tuba he used, he abosolutely killed it. In that high F to Gb section he he was screaming or the rest of the orchestra and it worked musically. He was a total beast.

Was Mehta the conductor on this recording? Bless him for letting Roger sing like that.
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

Alex C wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:04 pm Stravinsky wrote for French tuba. His concept for tuba sound would originally have been kind of farty in the low register and punchy in the the upper. Using big CC tubas changes those low register sounds to massive. It all works with great players.

The recording I most remember was the LA phil with Bobo playing either a 184 or that tiny Miraphone F they sold in the 1960s. It didn't matter what tuba he used, he abosolutely killed it. In that high F to Gb section he he was screaming or the rest of the orchestra and it worked musically. He was a total beast.

Was Mehta the conductor on this recording? Bless him for letting Roger sing like that.
Do you know the date of this recording? I could find it if you know! I have the 70's Planets one with Tommy Johnson and Bobo. If you want it I'll put the Spotify album here!
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
jtm

Post by jtm »

I would pick a bassoon, at least to start with.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

jtm wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:20 pm I would pick a bassoon, at least to start with.
I mean tubas haha. Smart aleck :laugh: :facepalm2: :eyes:
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Here's the Rite played as Stravinsky wrote it, for two French tubas: https://youtu.be/rq1q6u3mLSM?t=1055 (No idea why I can't seem to embed the video...)
Robert Tucci
RT Mouthpieces
Has thanked: 0

Rite of Spring

Post by Robert Tucci »

One of the most consistent, gravest and most often made mistakes in the tuba parts takes place during the "Dance of the Earth", moving toward the finale of the part one. The tubas and related instruments play G# to F#, repeated twice then followed by a a longer passage of G#, A#, C#, A#, G#, F#. The phrasing is clearly indicated: the G# - F# in the first two measures is tied. This applies to the following, longer passage. The six notes are tied, also a phrase in itself. This passage is repeated several time, musical fury and played at high volume. The mistake is invariably the same: breathing after the first note of the second phrase, the G#, then playing the following notes tied. This makes the F# a "pick-up" to the following passage therefore in full conflict with the composer's notation.

Should you have opportunity to perfom the "Rites", give the one lryical section in the tuba parts necessary attention. The ballet was in the repertoire of the Bavarian State Opera for years to the point that we, the tubists, could play the entire work by memory.

Bob Tucci
DandyZ629

Post by DandyZ629 »

Alex C wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:04 pm Stravinsky wrote for French tuba. His concept for tuba sound would originally have been kind of farty in the low register and punchy in the the upper. Using big CC tubas changes those low register sounds to massive. It all works with great players.

The recording I most remember was the LA phil with Bobo playing either a 184 or that tiny Miraphone F they sold in the 1960s. It didn't matter what tuba he used, he absolutely killed it. In that high F to Gb section he he was screaming or the rest of the orchestra and it worked musically. He was a total beast.

Yes. That's the 1969 Mehta recording, with Tommy Johnson on 2nd. Mehta has recorded it four times, once with the LAPO and thrice with the NYPO. The second NYPO recording, from 1990, is Warren Deck and Don Harry. Absolutely monstrous playing. Definitely not using small equipment.
My personal favorite recordings of this are; Dorati/Minneapolis from 1959, this is on Mercury and saying this is intense doesn't do it justice especially the bass trombone. Holy.Mother.Of.God. The other is the Stravinsky/Columbia Symphony from 1960. Again, completely visceral, and intense low brass playing. Hyper aggressive trombones, and the tubas aren't far behind. There is something to be said about a composer interprets their own works. The other, is the Mehta/LAPO that was first mentioned. I think that Bobo/Johnson sound even better on this than the Planets. But not quite as good as their Alpensinfonie. That, is otherworldly. :bugeyes:
Last edited by DandyZ629 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalison DS CC
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

DandyZ629 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:29 am

The recording I most remember was the LA phil with Bobo playing either a 184 or that tiny Miraphone F they sold in the 1960s. It didn't matter what tuba he used, he absolutely killed it. In that high F to Gb section he he was screaming or the rest of the orchestra and it worked musically. He was a total beast.

Yes. That's the 1969 Mehta recording, with Tommy Johnson on 2nd. Mehta has recorded it three times, once with the LAPO and twice with the NYPO. The second NYPO recording, from 1990, is Warren Deck and Don Harry. Absolutely monstrous playing. Definitely not using small equipment.
My personal favorite recordings of this are; Dorati/Minneapolis from 1959, this is on Mercury and saying this is intense doesn't do it justice especially the bass trombone. Holy.Mother.Of.God. The other is the Stravinsky/Columbia Symphony from 1960. Again, completely visceral, and intense low brass playing. Hyper aggressive trombones, and the tubas aren't far behind. There is something to be said about a composer interprets their own works. The other, is the Mehta/LAPO that was first mentioned. I think that Bobo/Johnson sound even better on this than the Planets. But not quite as good as their Alpensinfonie. That, is otherworldly. :bugeyes:
Bobo and Johnson on Holst's Planets is the only recording I will listen to. Absolutely Legendary. Do you know where I can find this recording of Rite of Spring?
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
matt g

Post by matt g »

Bobo/Johnson/LA Phil Holst is an “interesting” recording but I wouldn’t reference it for academic purposes.

The Dutoit/Montreal recording is quite well-received.

Holst: The Planets

Also the Levine/CSO recording is solid.

p.s. The media embed is great...
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
DandyZ629

Post by DandyZ629 »

tobysima` wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:36 am

Yes. That's the 1969 Mehta recording, with Tommy Johnson on 2nd. Mehta has recorded it three times, once with the LAPO and twice with the NYPO. The second NYPO recording, from 1990, is Warren Deck and Don Harry. Absolutely monstrous playing. Definitely not using small equipment.
Bobo and Johnson on Holst's Planets is the only recording I will listen to. Absolutely Legendary. Do you know where I can find this recording of Rite of Spring?
https://youtu.be/UfL-oaRLiBo
Kalison DS CC
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

DandyZ629 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:43 am
tobysima` wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:36 am

https://youtu.be/UfL-oaRLiBo
Thank you so much! :)
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
hrender

Post by hrender »

Re: Holst, came across this. Many issues, but still interesting.

tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

hrender wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:11 pm Re: Holst, came across this. Many issues, but still interesting.

I'd assume British F?
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

matt g wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:43 am Bobo/Johnson/LA Phil Holst is an “interesting” recording but I wouldn’t reference it for academic purposes.

How's the tuba on those recordings? Is the CSO with Gene or Arnold?
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
Doc

Post by Doc »

tobysima` wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:33 pm
matt g wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:43 am Bobo/Johnson/LA Phil Holst is an “interesting” recording but I wouldn’t reference it for academic purposes.

The Montreal recording is one of the first CD's (instead of record albums) I ever purchased. Ellis Wean plays great tuba. Their Pictures at an Exhibition and Petrushka recordings are clear and well-done. Strong, tasteful brass playing, but not in your face (French). The Pictures recording also has Night on Bare Mountain and Russian Easter Festival Overture, both of which offer excellent tuba playing.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
hrender

Post by hrender »

tobysima` wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:29 pm I'd assume British F?
I'd assume so.
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

Doc wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:02 pm
tobysima` wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:33 pm

The Montreal recording is one of the first CD's (instead of record albums) I ever purchased. Ellis Wean plays great tuba. Their Pictures at an Exhibition and Petrushka recordings are clear and well-done. Strong, tasteful brass playing, but not in your face (French). The Pictures recording also has Night on Bare Mountain and Russian Easter Festival Overture, both of which offer excellent tuba playing.
Well I'll have to listen then!
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U