I’m so old, that…

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
ronr

Re: I’m so old, that…

Post by ronr »

I remember when the Gophers went to the Rose Bowl. Ok, that’s a lie…nobody’s that old! (sigh)
These users thanked the author ronr for the post:
WC8KCY (Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:31 am)

2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
1960 Reynolds Contempora Sousaphone
2022 Wessex fiberglass sousaphone
hrender

Post by hrender »

Got most of the the dents removed from the Cerveny. Woohoo, does it play well. Old ain’t necessarily bad.
Snake Charmer
Has thanked: 0

Post by Snake Charmer »

More topic relevant, I’m guessing that you are old enough that your tuba isn’t quite twice your age. Am I correct?
Next week I am at this point with my 1909 Svenska Blasinstrumentfabriken Tuba!
And quite old enough to know cars with carburettors...
My Dad built his first business as drinks dealer with horse and cart. It was the day after WW2 when he went with his uncle to an abandoned German army camp to fetch one of the horses and enough parts to make a cart. He was 14 years old!
:tuba: ...with a song in my heart!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I had a funky little two-door Subaru with a manual choke on the carburetor. I believe - were it that I had a carburetor engine on a car today, I would have the choke converted to manual. I was always able to start that car. (Automatic chokes typically relied on temperature sensors that “usually” worked as they were supposed to.)
Snake Charmer

Post by Snake Charmer »

My Saab 96 had an automatic choke, awful! Idling speed at the first traffic lights around 1500-2000 rpm, on the second lights coughing at 600rpm...
But before I could change to a manual choke (there was a place for the handle and even a control light at the dashboard!) the body rusted beyond repair! :smilie6: Great car!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Also, I view automatic transmissions as
- handy for people who are regularly stuck in traffic jams. (Why would anyone do that to themselves?)
- things that enable people - who do not know how to drive - to drive.

These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
WC8KCY (Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:34 am)
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Snake Charmer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:18 amBut before I could change to a manual choke (there was a place for the handle and even a control light at the dashboard!) the body rusted beyond repair! :smilie6: Great car!

Just another Saab story... :facepalm2:
These users thanked the author windshieldbug for the post (total 2):
Yorkboy (Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:16 pm) • jtm (Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:18 pm)
If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Sat May 07, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

My big work van is automatic, because it’s just a little bit too hard to find something like that with a manual transmission and a reliable/not-worn engine (so I picked it for its engine).
When I drive four cylinder cars with automatic transmissions, I always feel like I’m playing bumper cars at the carnival midway.

djwpe

Post by djwpe »

peterbas wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:22 pm
bloke wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:28 am Also, I view automatic transmissions as
- handy for people who are regularly stuck in traffic jams. (Why would anyone do that to themselves?)
- things that enable people - who do not know how to drive - to drive.

Strangely enough here in Europe there is a massive change to automatic transmissions after 50 years of smiling with the silly Americans driving automatics.

Yes Ive changed from a manual Toyota Avensis to a Toyota Corolla hybrid and the auto (cvt) is so much more enjoyable to drive.
The automatics are now better than even the best drivers. Faster on the track, better economy. The 8 speed automatic in my diesel SUV is never in the wrong gear. But Joe is right, that a manual is a skill.

That said, my fun car will always be a manual. A dual clutch just isn’t as much fun.

Don
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

MANUAL:

I need something that I can park – even occasionally in Memphis – and have it BE THERE when I get back.

Could you imagine one of those dumb-phu¢k car-jackers ordering me out of my pretty good looking Toyota, and then trying to drive it ?

(I never stop anywhere in Memphis - or its county - other than at a gig venue, and always drive straight home. I also always go straight in after parking, and never chat - out in a parking lot, with colleagues - after a gig.)
tubaing

Post by tubaing »

bloke wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:05 pm More topic relevant, I’m guessing that you are old enough that your tuba isn’t quite twice your age. Am I correct?
I am about 3/5ths my tuba's age. Although when I first played it, I was about 1/3 it's age.
These users thanked the author tubaing for the post:
bloke (Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:59 pm)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

tubaing wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:57 pm
bloke wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:05 pm More topic relevant, I’m guessing that you are old enough that your tuba isn’t quite twice your age. Am I correct?
I am about 3/5ths my tuba's age. Although when I first played it, I was about 1/3 it's age.
Pretty soon, you will be older than it is!! :tuba:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
bloke (Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:59 pm)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Common core math continues to confound me. 😳
Three Valves wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:23 pm
tubaing wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:57 pm
Pretty soon, you will be older than it is!! :tuba:
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Three Valves (Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:16 pm)
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake Charmer

Post by Snake Charmer »

I had 1979 V4. This model had normally again a manual choke (so the control light), but mine had a carb with an auto choke from the mid 70s.
nc_amateur_euph

Post by nc_amateur_euph »

1. - We had a console RADIO on which I listened to The Lone Ranger, Sgt. Preston of the Yukon, The Shadow, etc.
2. - When we got a TV, we watched Ernie Kovacs' morning show (out of Philadelphia) and I became a member of EEFMS - Early Eyeball Fraternal & Marching Society.
3. - Contrary to popular rumor, I am not older than dirt - but am listed as a co-inventor on the patent for dirt.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Before my parents added on a modest (all “builder grade”) den, small kitchen, master bedroom, and small master bath, I remember - between ages 1 and 3 - sitting in a green metal highchair in our old kitchen and my mother listening to radio programs - of the type of that you mentioned in your post - plus a couple of soap operas and other daytime programming (on the radio). It was a Bakelite Sears tube AM radio just exactly like this one:
EDEB9581-0485-4D8B-8F42-4F1B3D50350B.jpeg
EDEB9581-0485-4D8B-8F42-4F1B3D50350B.jpeg (175.34 KiB) Viewed 887 times

She also had a collapsible clothesline that sort of worked like a pop-up tent with ropes. It was stored in the corner of our one-car garage, and she would carry it around to the backyard two or three times a week when she did wash, and stick it into the ground into another piece of pipe that my father concreted into the ground for that clothesline. We DID have a washing machine…
When my dad was earning slightly more money a few years later - and bought one of those really long mid-1960s Pontiacs, it barely fit in the garage, and we had to shut the garage door from the outside and enter the house through the living room door.

nc_amateur_euph wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:06 pm 1. - We had a console RADIO on which I listened to The Lone Ranger, Sgt. Preston of the Yukon, The Shadow, etc.
2. - When we got a TV, we watched Ernie Kovacs' morning show (out of Philadelphia) and I became a member of EEFMS - Early Eyeball Fraternal & Marching Society.
3. - Contrary to popular rumor, I am not older than dirt - but am listed as a co-inventor on the patent for dirt.
sweaty

Post by sweaty »

My wife is so old, she grew up during the Civil War. Her house had no running water or electricity. At age six, she walked two hours to school in the dark, up and down steep mountains.

She is 50 years old. You didn't assume I was talking about the United States, did you?
cjk

Post by cjk »

I'm so old,
I remember when there were only onebas.