Ever come across a 1984 Olympic Band Sousaphone?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Dave Detwiler

Ever come across a 1984 Olympic Band Sousaphone?

Post by Dave Detwiler »

Hi all - I was reminiscing a bit today, thinking back on my days playing with the 1984 Olympic All American Band when I was a student at USC. The band was enormous - 800 strong, including silks (tall flags) - and the tuba section had close to 50 members, if I remember correctly. And we had brand new King Sousaphones with the bell stamped on the side, as well as the top front, with the "stars in motion" logo, as you see below.

Ever come across one of these horns? Better still, is anyone out there who was in that band?

1984 Olympic Band Sousaphone.JPG
1984 Olympic Band Sousaphone.JPG (140.63 KiB) Viewed 368 times

Played an F. E. Olds 4-valve BBb in high school (late '70s)
Led the USC Trojan Marching Band tuba section (early '80s)
Now playing an F. Schmidt (=VMI) 3301 and goofing around
on a 1925 Pan American Sousaphone and an 1899 Conn tuba!
jerseyeuph
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ever come across a 1984 Olympic Band Sousaphone?

Post by jerseyeuph »

Horn Trader had Blessing herald trumpets from this event for sale several months ago. Looks like they are gone now.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

For quite a few years, I held on to a Blessing Herald trumpet built for that opening ceremony (which included the Olympic banner, along with special bell engraving).

After quite a few years passed, I realized that I'm not really much of an Olympic-o-phile (though I "like" the Olympics) nor a "trumpet-o-phile" (though I "like" trumpets)...so I sold it.

Marriedtotubaplyr
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Marriedtotubaplyr »

My husband was one of the 50 sousaphone players in the Olympic band. He has always wanted to get a hold of one of those Olympic Sousaphones. If anyone finds one for sale, please reply to this conversation.