Martin sousaphone $3,500 Cottage Grove MN

For posting interesting and remarkable deals found on the internet.
Furguson11
Has thanked: 0

Martin sousaphone $3,500 Cottage Grove MN

Post by Furguson11 »

bort2.0

Re: Martin sousaphone $3,500 Cottage Grove MN

Post by bort2.0 »

Wow!
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Silver with brass/gold wash bell inside. :drool:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
MartinMan

Post by MartinMan »

This one has been up on ebay for awhile.

Judging by how tricked out it is, I'd guess it was likely a banda horn at some point. Just seems like the right aesthetic.

It certainly is purdy on the outside. Hope it's in just as good of shape internally, especially for that price
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

MartinMan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:56 pm This one has been up on ebay for awhile.

Judging by how tricked out it is, I'd guess it was likely a banda horn at some point. Just seems like the right aesthetic.

It certainly is purdy on the outside. Hope it's in just as good of shape internally, especially for that price
Cottage Grove Minnesota is definitely NOT a banda hot-spot. :laugh:
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

Def not a banda hotspot. Looks like someone just had parts of it gold plated. I am not familiar with Martin Sousaphones. Looks fairly small in size. I was bored one day and looked up some videos of the banda sousaphone players. Seems like a lot of them use a much longer neck. Maybe since most of them are overblowing them the longer neck brings the tuning closer to correct. Interesting for sure.
MartinMan

Post by MartinMan »

Yeah, I'm sure there aren't a lot of banda folks in the land where polka is king, I'm just saying it may have been used for that at some point in its life before. If not, it just happens to sport a similar style of bling as a lot of those horns tend do.

Having owned both the larger mammoth variant as well as the medium version like this one. I generally prefer the larger horn, but having gigged on the smaller 4/4 more recently while my mammoth is in the shop, I must say it's growing on me. Handles a lot like a King and can give a nice bark without much effort.

Edit: The seller's Facebook profile bio is in Spanish so I stand by my banda theory. It may not be a banda "hotbed" per se, but I suppose there can be exceptions.
These users thanked the author MartinMan for the post:
JRaymo (Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:03 pm)
Kirley

Post by Kirley »

It appears that the neck has been CONNverted.
There's some shenaniganery with the bits. Can't tell exactly from the pic but there seems to be 3 bits in play, 1 Conn and maybe some Yamahas?
I love the gold bell but the other parts cheapen the whole thing to my eye.
She sure is clean!
DandyZ629

Post by DandyZ629 »

That, is sexy as hell.
Kalison DS CC
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

MartinMan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:19 pm Yeah, I'm sure there aren't a lot of banda folks in the land where polka is king, I'm just saying it may have been used for that at some point in its life before. If not, it just happens to sport a similar style of bling as a lot of those horns tend do.

Having owned both the larger mammoth variant as well as the medium version like this one. I generally prefer the larger horn, but having gigged on the smaller 4/4 more recently while my mammoth is in the shop, I must say it's growing on me. Handles a lot like a King and can give a nice bark without much effort.

Edit: The seller's Facebook profile bio is in Spanish so I stand by my banda theory. It may not be a banda "hotbed" per se, but I suppose there can be exceptions.
I did not look at his FB profile. I have to agree with you now. There is an area in Saint Paul on Casar Chavez st where we shop regularly that is pretty much all hispanic in that area. They have pretty big celebrations on holidays and the grocery store we go to also has a cafeteria style restaurant inside which is the best Mexican food you'll find in Minnesota. They also have live music on occasion.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

^ I like Dos Panchos bakery down in that neighborhood. Legit Mexican style, grab your tray and tongs. Super cheap, and authentic. Get ready for sugar..:)

What's the name of the grocery?!
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Doesn’t look like gold to my eye. Wrong hue. Looks more like silver plating was intentionally removed in some spots, or that the horn was selectively silver plated after the fact. In any case, the non-silver parts look to be brass, not gold. But I’m willing to be wrong. Not a fan of Sousaphones, too many bad HS memories, but that one sure is pretty!
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:36 pm ^ I like Dos Panchos bakery down in that neighborhood. Legit Mexican style, grab your tray and tongs. Super cheap, and authentic. Get ready for sugar..:)

What's the name of the grocery?!
El Burrito Mercado. They have the bakery items in there as well. There is a food truck they take downtown I guess. Also in the summer they have a corn roaster outside which is really good.