Coffee and practice

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
BopEuph

Coffee and practice

Post by BopEuph »

Skipped my coffee today, stomach was upset from last night's dinner.

I otherwise felt fine, but I had no desire to practice, even though I didn't really feel tired. I took a couple years' hiatus from brass playing, and when I came back to it about two years ago, I was a new coffee drinker. Now I feel like coffee is a borderline requirement for practicing. It's not needed for practicing after lunch, as long as I had my morning coffee.

Anybody else need coffee with their daily routines? I know the mental benefits include higher concentration and energy, but didn't realize that it would really help my discipline of practicing!

Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Coffee and practice

Post by bloke »

...otherwise, a brisk walk, just prior to practicing, a rehearsal, or a performance.
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Wow, didn't think about that! It kinda escapes the mind during the Florida summer...
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
Ace

Post by Ace »

Yeah, a cup of coffee helps the body systems to rev up, and that aids practicing. However, I have come across an activity that gets me going at any time, even if tired or sick. That activity is playing my Jupiter three piston valve trombone in C, working on the viola transcriptions of Bach's unaccompanied cello suites. Also, the Sonatas and Partitas for unaccompanied violin by Bach. I have been doing this for years and now am able to play a few passages rather well, giving a refreshing sense of achievement.

Ace
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I hate eating or drinking anything before playing. I brush my teeth and try to avoid drinking water while playing, too, unless its crazy hot out.

Beer afterwards, or as social norms dictate.

Coffee always. It's never too early, or too late, for coffee.
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

Wake up, drink water, practice, eat breakfast. Been my routine once every two weeks when I have a lesson.
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
gnimoyw

Post by gnimoyw »

bort2.0 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:41 pm I hate eating or drinking anything before playing. I brush my teeth and try to avoid drinking water while playing, too, unless its crazy hot out.

Beer afterwards, or as social norms dictate.

Coffee always. It's never too early, or too late, for coffee.

I do the same, except for the no water while playing. I drink copious amounts of H2O while playing - any reason why not?
B&S GR-51 BBb
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

A few reasons:

If my mouth is too wet, then it gets too slippery, and that's no good

I'm usually hungry when I play, and too much water isn't good on a hungry stomach

I don't want to have to stop too often to go to the bathroom
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I only practice when I have jobs.
The more jobs, the more I practice, unless I have so many jobs that there isn’t time to practice.
Also, the more important and challenging the jobs, the more I practice.
Since this top-down engineered shut down, I have barely played the tuba at all.
I have quite a bit of work coming up in September - with several of those jobs involving some very exposed playing, so it’s time to start practicing again…like now.
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Yeah, I went into the lockdown with the intent to keep a diligent practice schedule: tuba 9-noon, upright 12:30-3, electric 3-5.

It was going pretty well until I hit the burnout around July. Which happens when you practice so much, so I wasn't worried. The problem is, with no work to practice for, I didn't want to come back from the lack of time off...why bother?

But I found out a part time tuba/bass position is opening up in the parks. I've been told I'm the top contender, since I was a sub there years ago, and am the only doubler that's not at retirement age. But they want someone who can sing. That little tidbit, for some reason, gave me a lot of drive to really double my practice efforts.

The only problem is nobody knows when auditions will be held. A new audition protocol has to be implemented, so it might be a while. But I intend to win that audition, so I'm working on it now.

It definitely takes something to look forward to when practicing.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

My ideal:

1. Wake up
2. Splash water on my face
3. Do exercises - scales, long tones, lip slurs
4. Coffee and breakfast
5. Practice rep/technical development exercises

My reality:

1. M-F - No tuba practice; Listen to music all day for pleasure and ear/mental development; Read this forum for a reminder of why tuba is The Best Instrument to Play interspersed with work; Practice lute in the evenings after my daughter goes to bed
2. Sat/Sun - OMG I HAVE A FREE HOUR RUN DOWNSTAIRS AND GET EVERYTHING POSSIBLE IN
3. Back to yard work
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Funny thing about breakfast is I used to not be hungry in the mornings. I kinda get there around 10am now, but I just skip all the way to lunch so that I don't put that junk through my horns.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

tubanh84 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:49 am My ideal:

1. Wake up
2. Splash water on my face
3. Do exercises - scales, long tones, lip slurs
4. Coffee and breakfast
5. Practice rep/technical development exercises

My reality:

1. M-F - No tuba practice; Listen to music all day for pleasure and ear/mental development; Read this forum for a reminder of why tuba is The Best Instrument to Play interspersed with work; Practice lute in the evenings after my daughter goes to bed
2. Sat/Sun - OMG I HAVE A FREE HOUR RUN DOWNSTAIRS AND GET EVERYTHING POSSIBLE IN
3. Back to yard work
Yes. My ideal is:

1. Wake up at 6, run five miles, morning ablutions, at work by 7:30 with breakfast plate and coffee beside me.
2. Work diligently until 5PM.
3. Dinner with the Redhead.
4. Play the tuba for a couple of hours.
5. Evening reading, perhaps followed by listening to the radio.

TRVTH (edited for the most important part, the coffee):

1. Wake up at 7:15, enough ablutions to avoid attracting flies, at work at 0730, sneak out at 0815 for breakfast (with COFFEE).
2. On the phone nearly constantly until 5PM. (Coffee at least four times during that period.)
3. Run five miles, complete the ablutions I skipped in the morning.
4. Later dinner with the Redhead. (Coffee following dinner, always.)
5. Prepare the deposit, or some other treasurer/vestry duty for the church.
6. Some board duty for the band.
7. Some catching up on work that I let slide while posting here, or that overflowed the day. (COFFEE!)
8. Pay some bills.
9. Look at tuba, but now will keep the Redhead awake.
10. Sit down to read and perhaps listen to the radio, but fall asleep instead. (So much for COFFEE keeping me awake--never happens)
11. Wake up at 2AM with a sore neck, stumble off to bed.

Rick "headphones after 10PM" Denney
Last edited by Rick Denney on Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

MUST HAVE COFFEE!!!
First thing in the morning, then mid morning. Afterwards, well, I can probably get through the rest of the day.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
Doc

Post by Doc »

I'm a coffee guy for sure. All throughout the day at work, switching to water when I get home. Occasionally, I'll have some in the evening (I have a nightcap even less these days), but mostly on the weekends. Coffee is good if I need a pick-me-up for practice or anything else.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

We are trying to space out our grocery store trips, just like with everything else these days.

But I always think it's about time to head to the grocery store again, even if we have enough food for 2 more weeks of meals, when the coffee starts getting low...
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

Coffee, breakfast, take the dogs out, then coffee while I practice. I've been accused of having blood in my coffee stream. Can it stink up the horn? What doesn't? A little scope mouthwash down the leadpipe every once in a while takes care of that.
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Stryk wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:37 pm Coffee, breakfast, take the dogs out, then coffee while I practice. I've been accused of having blood in my coffee stream. Can it stink up the horn? What doesn't? A little scope mouthwash down the leadpipe every once in a while takes care of that.
This is pretty much my day. I try to finish tuba practice and coffee before lunch, so that I can wash it down with water. Then I can shed bass for a few hours until I've flushed the coffee. I understand coffee is actually counterproductive to my learning to sing, so you're supposed to at least chase the coffee with a lot of water to counteract any negative effects.

And yes, it makes me have to pee about every 20 minutes.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

BobEuph wrote:Funny thing about breakfast is I used to not be hungry in the mornings. I kinda get there around 10am now, but I just skip all the way to lunch so that I don't put that junk through my horns.
Very healthy to skip breakfast in general, IMHO. I've done it for years.

Oddly enough, my first (and only) 20 oz cup of coffee in the morning actually occasionally makes me sleepy....could this be possible, or am I imagining it? On days I skip coffee, I don't feel as tired.

I take it black with just a pinch of salt, or occasionally a few drops of electrolyte, like 40,000 Volts - I find it takes some of the bitterness off it.
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

One pot every day. I'm about to enjoy a cup right now. :cheers:
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo