need help sizing a gig bag

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Mcordon1

need help sizing a gig bag

Post by Mcordon1 »

Howdy,
I ordered an XL Glenn Cronkhite gig bag for my horn, and they're trying to get a horn comparison to size it correctly. I sent them the measurements...anyone know a comparable horn?
Here are the measurements, will try to upload pictures -
Make and model:

Cerveny ACB-691 5/4 CC
In general this is a short, wide tuba, a discontinued uncommon horn.

Total length: 37"
Top of the bell to tubing: 11.5"
Width from mouthpiece receiver to opposite edge: 21"
Top of bell to Top of valve casings(I measured to the top of the highest valve): 16"
Width of the lower bout: 19"
Edge of the bell to mouthpiece receiver: 15.5"
Width of bell: 19.7"
Width of instrument: 26"
Distance from bell to lower bout: 23"
Left side bell
Rotary(side action) valves

Thanks!

bort2.0

Re: need help sizing a gig bag

Post by bort2.0 »

Just by bell size and height, the Willson 3050 might be close? Your tuba may be wider, but I just don't know.

I'm a little confused though, don't they make the bags to order? Like you give the measurements, and then they measure and cut and put it together. I understand looking for a starting point if they already have that work figured out somehow... but they are all made to order, so if it was unique to what they've already done, is that really an issue?

If that becomes a problem, @greenbean's Superfine gig bags are excellent as well.
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
bloke (Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:22 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: need help sizing a gig bag

Post by bloke »

Yeah… California style bags are the only type that I own - and I’ve never bought a “Superfine”, but even looking at pictures of them on my little phone screen shows me that - of the California style bags - those have to be the best.