playing stand... your recommendations

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Nworbekim

playing stand... your recommendations

Post by Nworbekim »

i guess i'm shorter now that i was in college, but i don't remember the 186 i played there being so tall as this one is... i need a stand, is there one with enough adjustment to allow playing both sitting AND standing?

Miraphone 186 - King 2341 - JP179B - York & sons 1910 Eb - Meinl Weston 2145 - Wessex Festivo - King 2280
Play it with emotion and play it strong! Don't make a face and they won't know it's wrong!
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: playing stand... your recommendations

Post by bloke »

If you are determined to use a stand as a way of solving a problem of the mouthpiece being higher than your mouth (rather than adjusting the width of your thighs or the angle of the instrument), you should probably shop for the one that adjusts down to the lowest height, yes?
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Nworbekim (Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:56 am)
edfirth
Has thanked: 0

Post by edfirth »

Why can't you just have the leadpipe moved? I'm long waisted and the leadpipes on most of the horns I've owned hit me somewhere around my adam's apple so I had them raise the pipe so that with the horn on my lap the leadpipe hits my chops at exactly the right height and angle. Just a thought. Ed
These users thanked the author edfirth for the post:
Nworbekim (Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:57 am)
Nworbekim

Post by Nworbekim »

bloke wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:53 am If you are determined to use a stand as a way of solving a problem of the mouthpiece being higher than your mouth (rather than adjusting the width of your thighs or the angle of the instrument), you should probably shop for the one that adjusts down to the lowest height, yes?
I've just never liked holding the horns in my lap. I've looked at the different types but I guess I'm missing which have that much adjustments. I'm not sure there is one that will adjust for both standing and sitting...
Miraphone 186 - King 2341 - JP179B - York & sons 1910 Eb - Meinl Weston 2145 - Wessex Festivo - King 2280
Play it with emotion and play it strong! Don't make a face and they won't know it's wrong!
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

I’ve heard that the Wenger Tuba Tamer has enough adjustability for sitting or standing. It’s expensive, heavy, and a chore to carry around. Really made for top action valve horns. Instructions say won’t work for Miraphone or other rotary horns. But there have been reports of players who tweaked them so that they would work.

Of course there are also straps and harnesses for standing up play.
These users thanked the author DonO. for the post:
Nworbekim (Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:32 am)
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Does "setting that particular tuba on chair seats" (between the legs) lower the mouthpiece too much?
Would dense foam rubber (on a chair seat) micro-adjust the mouthpiece position?
Last edited by bloke on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

DonO. wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:22 am I’ve heard that the Wenger Tuba Tamer has enough adjustability for sitting or standing. It’s expensive, heavy, and a chore to carry around. Really made for top action valve horns. Instructions say won’t work for Miraphone or other rotary horns. But there have been reports of players who tweaked them so that they would work.

This instead. It also has an extension for standing.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accesso ... nstruments

:tuba:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
Nworbekim (Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:42 am)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Nworbekim

Post by Nworbekim »

Three Valves wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:06 am
DonO. wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:22 am I’ve heard that the Wenger Tuba Tamer has enough adjustability for sitting or standing. It’s expensive, heavy, and a chore to carry around. Really made for top action valve horns. Instructions say won’t work for Miraphone or other rotary horns. But there have been reports of players who tweaked them so that they would work.

This instead. It also has an extension for standing.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accesso ... nstruments

:tuba:
that would do it... it looks pretty heavy though and i'm an old worn out fellow :smilie6: that would be great for home though. i gess i better just look for the SIT DOWN kind...
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

I own a Hurcules and a DEG. I prefer the DEG. It is not as "well made" as the robust Hercules, but is lighter and more compact. I just bought two of them for church, one for the rehearsal room and one for the sanctuary.
These users thanked the author Stryk for the post:
Nworbekim (Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:44 pm)
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I've tried several different stands (never feeling as though I needed one, but in response to all of the online hubbub about them; when you buy tubas to fix up and flip, all sorts of junk/stuff ends up being included with them).

Regardless of the make/design, the bottom of the tuba never seems to be able to be a far back (close to me) as I wish it were, I always end up craning my neck, and I end up with sore neck muscles.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

These playing stands may, MAY, prevent at least some, SOME carelessness among middle/high schoolers destroying tubas or extend the playing enjoyment of mature players.

If I had a BAT I’d get one. :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

I have the DEG one but it has broken. I had to use a radiator style clamp to keep it at the height I want. I think BBC used to have their own which was supposed to be really good. I don't know if they still sell them.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

When I was a freshman in college in 1985 my teacher (Mike Bunn) used a short drum tripod and a top he had cobbled together out of a wood block, some kind of rod and some electrical tape (I'm sure there was more but that's what I saw). The first reason for this was posture, and later when he added a 10-20 pound weighted ring to the bell of his Alex it became a necessity. After a few years I purchased a DEG stand, which didn't last because I over tightened the collar since it kept slipping. The second DEG stand did the same thing in about the same amount of time. I took the top and stem to a local super-mega-music store and they went down in the basement and produced a drum tripod. It was very heavy and my god was it great - stable and sturdy with rubber feet so it wouldn't slip or slide. It was extremely overbuilt for the task and never failed me once. I still have it, but it's been relegated to a backup role due to its weight.

At some point in the mid to late 1990's Baltimore Brass came out with one that Dave Fedderly worked with a local machine shop to develop and manufacture. I still have it, and don't play without it - ever. It has a lifetime warranty, which I used once to get a rivet replaced. These are the gold standard IMO, but it appears BBC no longer sells them (I will be there tomorrow and will ask why this is the case). If you see one used, BUY IT. I just reminded myself to acquire a second as a "better" backup.

I'm a huge fan of playing stands for a lot of reasons, but the best one is I don't have to expend any energy or create any tension to hold my instrument at the ideal playing height for whatever random chair I end up sitting. Good posture allows me to maximize my vital capacity and being relaxed just works wonders for me.
These users thanked the author kingrob76 for the post:
Nworbekim (Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:03 am)
Rob. Just Rob.
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

I don’t see a playing stand working for me personally or anyone else for that matter if your horn is a water collector. Sure, if all the water came out of the water keys completely and nicely like it should 100 percent of the time. But I am doing the King Dump all the time. A playing stand would make that a very clumsy process instead of a quick and easy one. And if you have one of those horns where you have to turn the horn upside down to get the water out. So not for me.
These users thanked the author DonO. for the post:
Nworbekim (Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:04 am)
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Nworbekim

Post by Nworbekim »

DonO. wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:16 am I don’t see a playing stand working for me personally or anyone else for that matter if your horn is a water collector. Sure, if all the water came out of the water keys completely and nicely like it should 100 percent of the time. But I am doing the King Dump all the time. A playing stand would make that a very clumsy process instead of a quick and easy one. And if you have one of those horns where you have to turn the horn upside down to get the water out. So not for me.
i understand... i don't need one with my 2341... the 186 is taller. tension in my shoulders/neck is uncomfortable while playing.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

My 1291 and my Wessex Chicago Presence were both water collectors - major water collectors, especially in 3 and 4. Even leaving it upright and pulling the bottom slides, those still collect water necessitating pulling the top slide and rotating roughly 180 degrees counter-clockwise from my perspective.

That hasn't gotten in the way once.
Rob. Just Rob.
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Yes Rob, that kind would be OK. I was referring to the type like “The Hug” or the “Tuba Tamer” where you basically gave to clamp it in and the tuba doesn’t just rest on it, but is held by it. That’s the kind that wouldn’t work for me. The kind you use would be just fine if I felt I needed it. But for now the lap works.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

Just got my two new DEG stands yesterday - they are MUCH stronger than the old ones.
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Stryk wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:48 am Just got my two new DEG stands yesterday - they are MUCH stronger than the old ones.
hmm...
I have an account with the wholesale music accessories/instruments company that bought DEG.
How much did you have to pay? (I'm sure you shopped around for the best price.)

bloke "I guess - when I find that I have time to fool with small stuff - I'll sell my K&M (which I loaned to a girls school for years, but now have it back) and (if I still have it...??) the goofy/complicated-ish one - that one sits on - which features a bunch of alternate stem positions."
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

Baltimore Brass told me today they have NOT stopped selling these.

They order the parts from scratch and then assemble them in the shop. However, the last parts order was “wrong” and yielded nothing useable in terms of actually producing them for sale.

Insert supply chain reference here, as well.

So these will return, TBD on date.
These users thanked the author kingrob76 for the post (total 2):
Nworbekim (Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:41 pm) • JRaymo (Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:28 am)
Rob. Just Rob.