Recommendation on switch from a 186ish to a 188ish tuba

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bort2.0

Re: Recommendation on switch from a 186ish to a 188ish tuba

Post by bort2.0 »

kingrob76 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:44 pm
bort2.0 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:23 pm Crap. :bugeyes:
You had your chance.
Just not the dollars. :eyes:

jtm

Post by jtm »

My daughter said, "Hey! You found your kumbaya instrument." Which I would have guessed might be a guitar. But she said, "no, this is one that you can sit on the floor and jam with." So we found a playlist of random folk and pop songs with easyish bass parts, she got a cornet, and we sat on the floor and jammed. Worked great. Such an easy tuba.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

This may just be me, but I’ve actually never been a huge fan of either the 186 or the 188. For my personal preference and tastes, they both feel too small. Comfortable to hold and play, good design, and a good scale, yes, no disputing that. But they’ve never sounded like what I want to hear coming out of the bell… So I bought a MRP :bugeyes:

To OP: There is a B&S PT-3 on eBay right now. Maybe not what you’re looking for but it’s in that realm of small-ish rotary CC for not a lot of money.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb