TROLL ALERT: orchestra concert wear trends

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Three Valves

Re: TROLL ALERT: orchestra concert wear trends

Post by Three Valves »

^^^^

Looks like a linen bowling shirt. :huh:

Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Three Valves wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:44 pm ^^^^

Looks like a linen bowling shirt. :huh:
yeah...(I agree)
When I zoomed out, the QUALITY of that shirt is sh!t (compared to most all others - that are only white-on-white), but I like the pattern.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I like guayabera shirts. I have owned a few, and will likely own some again. They are quite common in our neck of the woods, even more common south and west of here. Many older Hispanic men wear them regularly, saving the nicer ones for Sundays and family functions. If they were the uniform for Sunday matinee orchestra concerts, that would be fine with me.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Snake Charmer
Has thanked: 0

Post by Snake Charmer »

Here in Germany most amateur and semi-pro bands/orchestras do not longer insist of men in suits (choirs still do! With special coloured bow ties/ long ties). In most cases all-black is OK, no matter if it is shirt only or jacket or even fleece (in cold churches). But after a concert in a black shirt I change like to change clothes, because the black shirt was from the 1920/30s on a piece of dresscode for fascists. For this I do not feel too comfortable wearing one. In my semi-pro symphonic orchestra I have introduced wearing (black) bermudas with a short sleeve collarless shirt (a bit like the guayabera) and black sneakers for the summer open air concert. First time I got strange looks from the conductor and some older players, but the following year I was still hired and after some years now I am not longer the only one. As long as women are allowed for short shoulderfree summer dresses and open sandals I feel OK this way.
:tuba: ...with a song in my heart!