POLL!!! - plastic tubas

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.

WITH THE EXCEPTION OF DONN, I'd pay up to this for a working-order plastic tuba:

$1500
No votes
$1300
No votes
$1000
3%
$700
9%
$400
21%
$100
12%
$0
30%
I wouldn't want another large not-being-used thing cluttering up my house; I already have exercise equipment...
24%

Total votes: 33

bloke
Mid South Music

POLL!!! - plastic tubas

Post by bloke »

me...?? I'm at $0000.00, but what price-point would motivate you to buy an undamaged one in working order?

also...found this: https://www.thestreet.com/markets/15-th ... e-12965411
Last edited by bloke on Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubanh84

Re: POLL!!! - plastic tubas

Post by tubanh84 »

If I needed some secondary horn solely for practice/to keep in shape, I'd pay up to $500. But I'd do that for a real-for-real metal beater as well. Again - IF I needed (not wanted - NEEDED) a practice horn somewhere, and the sole goal was to keep my chops in shape. I can't come up with a scenario where that would exist. But IF IT DID! That's my answer.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

One of the best things you can do for yourself is to de-junk your house, and to not buy or collect crap you don't need.

I've been to a number of estate sales recently, and I'm blown away by the amount of "stuff" that people accumulate.

I looked at that article, Joe... I thought it was funny to see the stand mixer shown there. My wife got one when we got married (as an early wedding gift), and that thing gets used constantly. We often joke that we probably cook more like our grandparents (simpler, fresh, raw ingredients and more cooking) than our parents (processed, canned, pre-prepared, heat and eat, etc.).
hrender

Post by hrender »

Growing up as a military brat, I got used to buying things knowing they'd be likely either sold or donated before the next move. That's still the way with me. Having a small house (paid off) helps with that.

I don't have a need for another tuba (I barely need the ones I have), but I also know I play both of the ones I have. At this point, I don't have a desire to play a plastic tuba.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:12 am I looked at that article, Joe... I thought it was funny to see the stand mixer shown there. My wife got one when we got married (as an early wedding gift), and that thing gets used constantly.
My wife uses hers too. Cookies, muffins, pies... :bow2:

The photo should have been of one of the other truly useless kitchen items they mention.

The thing about Instruments, boats, or even second homes, is that if they are used for their intended purposes they are great.

If not... :coffee:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
donn

Post by donn »

For me, the question is ill formed.

If I needed a tuba? (I don't.) If it needed to be light weight? (It wouldn't ... but I don't need a tuba, so that's somewhat hypothetical.) Plastic has some issues, but in principle wouldn't be out of the question.

If it's the commonly available Cool Wind / Tiger tuba? Or something else that could hypothetically be made to a different design, in a different part of the world, with different plastic resin ...?

The Cool Wind from what little I know sounds pretty good in the hands of a good player, but (again from what little I know) is not real durable, and it's made in China. Depending on level of desire for a light tuba, I might pay ca. $500 for that.

If it were the hypothetical plastic tuba, made in the 1st world with bell and large joints made from whatever Brian Kane says is best and maybe valve section of polypropylene which I believe is more durable than ABS, I would pay ... a hypothetical price.

We have a stand mixer, use it once or twice a year.
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:12 am One of the best things you can do for yourself is to de-junk your house, and to not buy or collect crap you don't need.
One of our rules is to clean like we're moving every couple years. The only issue is that we HAVE moved every couple years. So it's rarely hypothetical. Hopefully we'll be in one place for a while here.

Corollary: Clean and maintain your house like you're about to sell it. Why treat potential buyers better than you're treating yourself? You'd be amazing how much better your house feels when you take care of it. We figured this out when we fixed up our last house to sell....
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:12 am One of the best things you can do for yourself is to de-junk your house, and to not buy or collect crap you don't need.

I've been to a number of estate sales recently, and I'm blown away by the amount of "stuff" that people accumulate.

I looked at that article, Joe... I thought it was funny to see the stand mixer shown there. My wife got one when we got married (as an early wedding gift), and that thing gets used constantly. We often joke that we probably cook more like our grandparents (simpler, fresh, raw ingredients and more cooking) than our parents (processed, canned, pre-prepared, heat and eat, etc.).
We either use our 40-year-old plastic (harvest gold) hand-held one or use the blender aka "food processor", rather than some quasi-industrial thing...
...but - that having been said - one of my pet peeves is (and we have a TON of kitchen cabinets) ALL of our kitchen cabinets are stuffed to the gills, and MOSTLY with CRAP that either we don't use or gadgety crap that was given to us as "presents".

Since r/t gas, two coffees, and two chicken salads, tax, and tip (at crappy chain restaurants) began to cost $50 - and all of the fast food restaurants locked the doors to their dining rooms, we do NOT "eat out" at all. ok...I MIGHT (??) stop by KFC - at closing - as ask, "How might for everything that's left?" or buy a chicken thigh at a gas station, but that's IT.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

Zero. Point. Zero.
These users thanked the author kingrob76 for the post:
bloke (Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:42 pm)
Rob. Just Rob.
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Plastic tuba? I call that a sousaphone.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
matt g

Post by matt g »

I figured for $100 if might be okay to fiddle with and then sell off as needed.

For the record, a $150 plastic trumpet got me back in to playing again.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post (total 2):
jtm (Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:50 pm) • MN_TimTuba (Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:02 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
hup_d_dup
Has thanked: 0

Post by hup_d_dup »

What happens to all that plastic after the horn stops working?

Hup
Yes, I play tuba. What else is there to say?
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

hup_d_dup wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:47 pm What happens to all that plastic after the horn stops working?

Hup
Incinerated into zero emissions energy or recycled into unicorns and rainbows!!

:smilie7:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

yes...
Via taxpayer subsidization (aka "classical fascism"), they are converted into windmill, solar panel, and electric truck components.
hup_d_dup wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:47 pm What happens to all that plastic after the horn stops working?

Hup
hrender

Post by hrender »

Hup
The same thing that happens to any thing after it stops working:
  • Optimal -- restored to an operational form and sold or donated to someone who can use it
  • Less Optimal -- broken down into component materials and recycled
  • Suboptimal/most-likely -- thrown into a landfill
I hate throwing things away because of the inherent expense and waste, but options for doing otherwise for many things are expensive or unavailable. This has been a growing problem at least since the 1920s. Curiously this is also around the time of growth of mass advertising. It's also why I own a small house that still has most of its original appliances (Hotpoint range from 1952, Maytag washer & dryer from 1972).

People have long been addicted to cheap, "disposable" things.
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

I paid $1200 for one. It is a pre-commercially available clear plastic from the tuning slide through bell one (aka the Kane tuba).
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I that "counted" as one, so would fiberglass and (now) resin sousaphones.
' doesn't "count".
btw...
You need to donate it to the tuba museum, so that almost no one will see it, and so that no one can play it.
Stryk wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:18 pm I paid $1200 for one. It is a pre-commercially available clear plastic from the tuning slide through bell one (aka the Kane tuba).
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

I’d consider a plastic bottom bow and bugle tuba!! :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

kingrob76 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:43 pm Zero. Point. Zero.
To add some color to this, I will not pay for one but if someone gave me one I would take it because I can most certainly sell it, and I am a big fan of free money.
Rob. Just Rob.