Anybody know this guy???

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Paulver

Anybody know this guy???

Post by Paulver »

IMG_1778.jpg
IMG_1778.jpg (72.59 KiB) Viewed 273 times
https://www.iup.edu/music/faculty/direc ... -zach.html

Indiana University of Pennsylvania sponsored a "Tubaphonium Day" on Sunday. Actually..... it's still going on thru Wednesday.
A very good friend of mine invited me to attend, so I went on Sunday. He is close friends with this guy, as they both attended IUP together in the 1960's.

The second pic, left to right, is of (Dr.) Zack Collins.... present IUP tuba and euphonium prof, Jim Self, Paul Walker.... my friend, a very fine trombonist, retired band director, and classmate of Jim's, and the guy on the right is me.... Paul Berendt.

IMG_1781.jpg
IMG_1781.jpg (89.06 KiB) Viewed 273 times

Zack was a doctoral student of Jim's at USC a few years back, and is an outrageously talented tuba player and instructor! (Lots of people can make an instrument sing. Zack can make it "sing and dance" at the same time!) It's a yearly event, and this year he arranged for Jim to be the guest artist, speaker, and instructor.

Paul and I worked together several years ago in a nearby school district, and I attended IUP as a grad student.

Jim is one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet, and his experiences with other world famous musicians in LA/Hollywood, New York, and other places, are incredible. Lots of insight, info, and advice for the young folks interested in being a big time professional studio musician.
Last edited by Paulver on Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

the elephant

Re: Anybody know this guy???

Post by the elephant »

Your images do not display. When I try to open them in separate tabs or pages it says that they no longer exist.

Theory:

If you uploaded the attachments from your desktop and then deleted them, for whatever reason the forum software will no longer display your images.

For me:

If you right-click the little question mark boxes it will tell you that the images no longer exist. I did this recently. Your images are doing the same thing for me right now, so if you did that, try again, uploading them from someplace they can live on your computer pretty much forever.

That *might* work. Other than that I don't know.

I hate the Attachment function here. The size is so small that you can't post anything other than small or low res images, and if you then move the images on your computer the link is broken.

I was told that doing it this way actually uploaded the image to a folder on the website and linked to that, but I guess this is no longer the case, at least for me. Probably I am wrong and your issue is something else entirely. I am just passing on my experience hoping that you can confirm or shoot down my theory on this behavior.

Either way, good luck!
matt g

Post by matt g »

Something is definitely buggy with the attachment function.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

yes, attachments aren't working right now.. Dont know why

yes, I know him! We're both former students of Richard Murrow. I just saw him last summer when the three of were cleaning out Richard's music storage building after he retired.
Yep, I'm Mark
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

Okay.... this is a quite strange. The pics are showing up just fine on the website on my computer.

I'm on my iMac desktop computer, so left and right clicking do not exist.

I emailed them to myself from my iPhone to my computer. Took them from my email program and dragged them right into the post. Not a clue what's wrong. They are medium sized pics...... pixel-wise. Would it work if I made them smaller?

P.S. The website has been taking forever to load today, and sometimes, it simply won't load at all. I've tried the usual things to get it to load normally, but it "ain't happnin' today!!" Any ideas as to what's going on?