Learning the cello (or any other string instrument) as an adult

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
gnimoyw

Learning the cello (or any other string instrument) as an adult

Post by gnimoyw »

Hello tuba friends -

Has anyone learned the cello (or violin/viola) as an adult after being a brass player for life? I've thought about this for years and just haven't done anything about it, but I think about it often and realize I'm not getting any younger. Obviously I can read music, etc... but I've never played a string instrument, classical or otherwise. Is this so challenging for my old brain, so different from playing a brass instrument, that I would likely be endlessly frustrated by slow progress? Thoughts on how to approach? Find a teacher? Join a Suzuki class for three-year-olds? End goal would be good enough to play in a community orchestra.

If people tell me this is a terrible idea, crash and burn is certain, I'll follow that advice. Thanks all!

:tuba: :tuba:

B&S GR-51 BBb
Three Valves

Re: Learning the cello (or any other string instrument) as an adult

Post by Three Valves »

It's not a bad idea if your hands can actually do it.

My fingers roll in on one another.

Even though I played upright bass earlier, even electric (short scale) has proved challenging.

Otherwise. I love the cello!! :smilie7:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
gnimoyw (Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:37 pm)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
hrender

Post by hrender »

I played cello in grades 8-12. I'd recommend getting a teacher, preferably someone who's used to teaching adults who are just starting out on the instrument. Your background playing will be a big help, although you might expect more of yourself. There are a lot of online resources now that didn't exist when I was a kid. Good luck!
These users thanked the author hrender for the post:
Worth

Post by Worth »

I'm sure you will get a bunch of encouraging replies, but in my experience learning any brain to muscle type activity only gets more challenging with age. Take for example playing the piano, trumpet (and C tuba) fingerings, skiing, golf, playing the bass guitar, and slide trombone. I learned piano, skiing and trumpet fingerings at an early age. I can pretty much do those things well and on auto pilot, which makes them loads of fun. I took up golf in my early thirties, lessons, range time, etc. Although I can whack the ball, I suck massively and it's not fun. Same with the bass guitar and slide trombone, both taken up after 55. Also Bb tuba fingerings. Sure I can read the notes, etc but the brain has to be constantly going to even barely approach something I consider decent. Again, for me, discouraging. We're all different and for you, the cello could be a natural with how your brain works. It's an amazingly beautiful instrument when played well and if you do it, I wish you the best!
These users thanked the author Worth for the post:
2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

I've talked about it here before - I took up lute 4 years ago after 20 years playing tuba and well into adulthood. I thought it would be easier for me, because I have also played guitar and bass guitar as long as I've played tuba.

Maybe it was easier for me than someone who'd never played guitar, but it certainly hasn't been easy. I got a really good teacher who frequently teaches adults. My advantage has been my ear - I can hear the different voices in the music, and I can visualize what I want to hear come out of the instrument.

MAKING THOSE THINGS COME OUT OF THE INSTRUMENT is difficult. And because my ear is so much better than my technique, it can get frustrating knowing everything I'm not doing. But I'm learning it, and 4 years on, I'm pretty consistently making music rather than just plucking the strings.
These users thanked the author tubanh84 for the post:
Nworbekim

Post by Nworbekim »

Go for it.... Find a teacher to get a good start on the fundamentals... And a properly set up instrument. I've seen so many beginners quit because of the action being wrong on the instrument.

I think learning new instruments will help my old brain stay flexible

I've learned guitar, dobro, hammer dulcimer, some bagpipe, working on the CC tuba, and there's a cello in the corner my wife isn't using that I've been eyeballing...

Just forcing myself to think and not be lazy
Last edited by Nworbekim on Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Nworbekim for the post:
gnimoyw (Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:38 pm)
Miraphone 186 - King 2341 - JP179B - York & sons 1910 Eb - Meinl Weston 2145 - Wessex Festivo - King 2280
Play it with emotion and play it strong! Don't make a face and they won't know it's wrong!
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

I taught myself upright bass over the course of a year while playing in a traditional jazz band. I got pretty good after a few years and started gigging in a jazz trio that was quite decent. After that, I started learning the bow and applying all that to sheet music. I had only been reading lead sheets, change sheets, or playing by ear, and to be very honest, this helped me move along a lot faster. Of course, the chances of playing any of the other orchestral strings in a setting where you play by ear or read from a lead sheet are, admittedly, pretty rare…

Bass is a fantastic double, but it is every bit as frustrating to get from here to there as with a tuba, and in many cases, it is more difficult and time-consuming. Cello would be great, but it is quite competitive. I would look at the viola. I love mine and have become fairly decent. (My cats no longer attack me when I take it out of its case.) Viola is in many areas far less competitive, and if there is a community orchestra you could probably slip into the back of the section and fart around until the whole alto clef thing starts to gel in your brain. It is not as hard as you might think.

I play a 17" viola that was quite inexpensive, and my 1966 Kay upright was free. My cheap $75 bow cost me $75 more than the bass!

I STRONGLY encourage you to do this.

Have fun! :cheers:
These users thanked the author the elephant for the post (total 2):
gnimoyw (Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:38 pm) • jtm (Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:04 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I would not recommend violin or viola because your hands / body likely will not adjust to the positions they need to be in. (My degree is in violin and I had a lesson business teaching various instruments for about five years, with a lot of adult students as well as kids.)

Cello will be much less difficult to learn physically but you will need some strength. Depends on how old you are; I am still learning new instruments in my 70s and see no reason why someone cannot. If you are a musician and you can do it physically, you will get music out of whatever instrument you study. I do recommend getting a teacher to keep bad habits from forming, and an attitude of patience with your body as it figures it out. Adults learn faster than kids but have dramatically different expectations than kids do, because they know what it's like to be good at something, so they generally have a patience problem due to their perceived slowness of learning, even though it is faster than the kids at the beginning.

So..have at it, and get the teacher first so you can be guided to a decent instrument. If purchasing, Southwest Strings in Tucson, AZ, is a very good source. If you were here I'd get you started with a lot of encouragement.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
gnimoyw (Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:38 pm)
gnimoyw

Post by gnimoyw »

Worth wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:30 am I'm sure you will get a bunch of encouraging replies, but in my experience learning any brain to muscle type activity only gets more challenging with age. Take for example playing the piano, trumpet (and C tuba) fingerings, skiing, golf, playing the bass guitar, and slide trombone. I learned piano, skiing and trumpet fingerings at an early age. I can pretty much do those things well and on auto pilot, which makes them loads of fun. I took up golf in my early thirties, lessons, range time, etc. Although I can whack the ball, I suck massively and it's not fun. Same with the bass guitar and slide trombone, both taken up after 55. Also Bb tuba fingerings. Sure I can read the notes, etc but the brain has to be constantly going to even barely approach something I consider decent. Again, for me, discouraging. We're all different and for you, the cello could be a natural with how your brain works. It's an amazingly beautiful instrument when played well and if you do it, I wish you the best!
I totally agree with that, which is why I asked the question. I've noticed that hobbies I've tried to adopt as I've gotten older are harder to commit to, skills are harder to acquire, and so on, exactly as you described. I'm still very much thinking it over.
B&S GR-51 BBb
gnimoyw

Post by gnimoyw »

Mary Ann wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:21 am I would not recommend violin or viola because your hands / body likely will not adjust to the positions they need to be in. (My degree is in violin and I had a lesson business teaching various instruments for about five years, with a lot of adult students as well as kids.)

Cello will be much less difficult to learn physically but you will need some strength. Depends on how old you are; I am still learning new instruments in my 70s and see no reason why someone cannot. If you are a musician and you can do it physically, you will get music out of whatever instrument you study. I do recommend getting a teacher to keep bad habits from forming, and an attitude of patience with your body as it figures it out. Adults learn faster than kids but have dramatically different expectations than kids do, because they know what it's like to be good at something, so they generally have a patience problem due to their perceived slowness of learning, even though it is faster than the kids at the beginning.

So..have at it, and get the teacher first so you can be guided to a decent instrument. If purchasing, Southwest Strings in Tucson, AZ, is a very good source. If you were here I'd get you started with a lot of encouragement.
Thank you - and I'm only considering the cello, not the violin or viola (I only included those as bowed string instruments distinct from learning the guitar, for example). I'm only 40, but even that feels pretty old to me to take something like this on, but as I said, I'm not getting any younger! I'm looking around and planning to talk to a teacher or two without making a commitment, and thanks for the tip about Southwest Strings, I've heard very good things about them.
B&S GR-51 BBb
Worth

Post by Worth »

gnimoyw wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:35 pm
Worth wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:30 am I'm sure you will get a bunch of encouraging replies, but in my experience learning any brain to muscle type activity only gets more challenging with age. Take for example playing the piano, trumpet (and C tuba) fingerings, skiing, golf, playing the bass guitar, and slide trombone. I learned piano, skiing and trumpet fingerings at an early age. I can pretty much do those things well and on auto pilot, which makes them loads of fun. I took up golf in my early thirties, lessons, range time, etc. Although I can whack the ball, I suck massively and it's not fun. Same with the bass guitar and slide trombone, both taken up after 55. Also Bb tuba fingerings. Sure I can read the notes, etc but the brain has to be constantly going to even barely approach something I consider decent. Again, for me, discouraging. We're all different and for you, the cello could be a natural with how your brain works. It's an amazingly beautiful instrument when played well and if you do it, I wish you the best!
I totally agree with that, which is why I asked the question. I've noticed that hobbies I've tried to adopt as I've gotten older are harder to commit to, skills are harder to acquire, and so on, exactly as you described. I'm still very much thinking it over.
Life is short and other forum members do make valid points. That in mind, why deprive yourself of something that might bring you enjoyment? Much of it really depends on how critical you are of yourself as you progress. Perhaps you know someone or some organization (church, school, etc) that has a cello you could get your hands on even for a weekend to see "how it feels" before making the leap on a purchase.
2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188
Doc

Post by Doc »

It's not a terrible idea at all.

The stark reality: Life is short, and it's chock full of disappointment and pain. When you have an opportunity to enjoy something, and possibly share that joy with others, you're a damned fool not to do it. Work as little or as hard as you want at it, but enjoy it thoroughly. Take lessons if you want. You may not be Yo Yo Ma by next week, but you may very well be able to play in that community orchestra with some direction, practice, and a little excitement and inspiration. And there is this: what if you listen to naysayers and throw in the towel...? You'll always wonder what it would have been like if you had tried it and given your best effort. You'll wonder what you missed out on. You'll wonder just how much you could have accomplished, if even for your own entertainment.

Stop wondering. Start living. Invite us to your first concert. We promise to only throw tomatoes at the other sections. :tuba:
These users thanked the author Doc for the post (total 2):
gnimoyw (Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:36 pm) • prairieboy1 (Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:42 am)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Well....I took three years of oboe lessons in my late 50s. Worked my butt off for three years, got good enough to join a community band and not sound like an unhappy duck. Various disastrous illnesses intervened for a good ten years, but in January I lucked into a truly wonderful English horn. I have progressed rapidly on it and am starting a double reed trio with some friends, both of whom also play other instruments so we're anticipating a LOT of fun. If you are only 40, geez, dude, you are a young thing still. Worst that can happen is you find out you don't want to nearly as badly as you thought you did.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post (total 2):
jtm (Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:11 pm) • gnimoyw (Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:36 pm)
Charlie C Chowder
Has thanked: 0

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

I play the cello with the Native American flute group. I play the sax with a blues group. I play a lot of things with other people... ie I play them well enough to be allowed to. Going from the classical guitar to the cello was easy if I do not use a bow. I can go to a bass as well. But the hairy stick that most people call a bow is an art form in itself. Find a teacher to guide you through the hairy stick. It is the hardest thing I have had to learn of all of my toys, and the one I spent the most time taking lessons on. Like a wind instrument, you will need to do a lot of long tones. '
Barrow or rent a cello until you are sure you want to buy. Then buy the best you can afford. One that has the voice that makes you proud to own. Used is good as like most wooden instruments they get better with the playing in.

Go for it, we don't know how many lives we have,
CCC
These users thanked the author Charlie C Chowder for the post:
gnimoyw (Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:36 pm)
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I have thought about learning the double bass, mainly because any community orchestra would literally beg me to play with them if I could play in time and in tune. I played tuba in a community orchestra and in all honesty it’s was really boring, but playing in a brass band is a lot more fun.

With the double bass I am thinking of giving myself 5-10 years to learn to play well enough to make community orchestra enjoyable
These users thanked the author Ricardo for the post:
gnimoyw (Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:37 pm)
JESimmons

Post by JESimmons »

My local area lost all its tuba players, so after decades on trombone, at 70 I took up tuba. As there are no other tuba players here, I had no teacher. It’s been a great experience, mind expanding, and it’s made me a better trombone player, too. This forum has been very valuable. I did, though, have to learn that my previously injured right arm can’t handle upright valves. I’d encourage you to do it.
These users thanked the author JESimmons for the post:
hrender

Post by hrender »

Charlie C Chowder wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:28 am I play the cello with the Native American flute group. I play the sax with a blues group. I play a lot of things with other people... ie I play them well enough to be allowed to. Going from the classical guitar to the cello was easy if I do not use a bow. I can go to a bass as well. But the hairy stick that most people call a bow is an art form in itself. Find a teacher to guide you through the hairy stick. It is the hardest thing I have had to learn of all of my toys, and the one I spent the most time taking lessons on. Like a wind instrument, you will need to do a lot of long tones. '
Barrow or rent a cello until you are sure you want to buy. Then buy the best you can afford. One that has the voice that makes you proud to own. Used is good as like most wooden instruments they get better with the playing in.

Go for it, we don't know how many lives we have,
CCC
:thumbsup: All of this.
These users thanked the author hrender for the post:
gnimoyw

Post by gnimoyw »

Ricardo wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:51 am I have thought about learning the double bass, mainly because any community orchestra would literally beg me to play with them if I could play in time and in tune. I played tuba in a community orchestra and in all honesty it’s was really boring, but playing in a brass band is a lot more fun.

With the double bass I am thinking of giving myself 5-10 years to learn to play well enough to make community orchestra enjoyable

Totally agree re tuba parts in community orchestras are really no fun. At least in the ones I've played in, the string sections end up having all of the fun! I'm hoping to join them one day.
B&S GR-51 BBb
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Pick one and go with it. :smilie8:
bravo !!!
(There are actually some pretty amazing Chinese instruments at reasonable prices.)

attention benefactors: :laugh:
If some generous person decided to gift me that amazing Buescher bass saxophone that is on eBay right now, I would tear into it hard, and see how much progress I could make in a year.
(I have spent more time than you might expect playing all of the other saxes over the years, and I have to be able to play them in order to repair them well.)
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
Ace (Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:08 pm) • gnimoyw (Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:21 pm)
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I brought this up with some musos tonight at a concert. They agreed with me in that if I could play a double bass in time and in tune (but not technically brilliant) every amateur orchestra nearby would be on to me. They suggested I start on a fret less bass guitar, do that for a few years then switch over to double bass and start learning bowing. But at the same time it looks like the local orchestra has a tuba vacancy, some interesting music scheduled and they pay, which makes the orchestral tuba playing more appealing.
These users thanked the author Ricardo for the post:
gnimoyw (Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:21 pm)