Had a Good Run at Blue Bells of Scotland Tonight, But…

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Doc

Had a Good Run at Blue Bells of Scotland Tonight, But…

Post by Doc »

…the video cut off in the first cadenza! GRRR!!!

I was bit nervous at the beginning, but as piece went on, I got comfortable. I checked it after the concert, but Zoom camera had cut off before the first variation. The best I had done the variations, and no record of it!

At least the blokespecial 186’s gloriously resonant sound came through in that 1:30 I managed to capture.
:smilie6: :smilie6: :smilie6:

Ever have crap like that happen?
These users thanked the author Doc for the post:
bloke (Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:52 am)

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Snake Charmer
Has thanked: 0

Re: Had a Good Run at Blue Bells of Scotland Tonight, But…

Post by Snake Charmer »

Did it really cut off? On my first longer recording session (live concert) with my Q2nI thought this, too. But the program just splits up in different files. So you start looking at e.g. ZOOM0013, which ends suddenly and unexpected. You have to find ZO010013 (ZO020013...) and put them together to have the whole thing in one clip.
:tuba: ...with a song in my heart!
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Yes, I have made recordings that cut off at some point. It sucks. Every time. I'm sorry your moment in the sun ended up with a personal solar eclipse.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I have one of those little recorders, and only barely know how to use it, because I’ve only used it once or twice.
I tend to use my phone when I’m just making a quick recording. Lately, my phone has been dropping out and cutting back in and dropping out again on the audio. 🙄
… or maybe it’s just me who’s playing at 70 dB and then zero and then 70 and then zero…??
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
York-aholic (Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:16 am)
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Snake Charmer wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:44 pm Did it really cut off? On my first longer recording session (live concert) with my Q2nI thought this, too. But the program just splits up in different files. So you start looking at e.g. ZOOM0013, which ends suddenly and unexpected. You have to find ZO010013 (ZO020013...) and put them together to have the whole thing in one clip.
I didn't see any additional files, but when I hook it up to the computer, I can see for sure.

I don't think I ran out of room on the 256G mini card, but I'll see if previously deleted files were actually deleted. I had plenty of battery left, so I'm thinking storage may be the problem.
YorkNumber3 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:11 am Put out the word. Maybe someone else recorded it?

(I don’t know the circumstances of the setting, but seems like phones are always at the ready today!)

“BB of S” is one of my favs.
I thought about that. It was a local high school band concert. Full house. Small community - everyone knows me because I either taught them or taught their kids. Worked in the schools 20 out of my 27 years here. It's certainly possible a recording was made.
the elephant wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:58 am Yes, I have made recordings that cut off at some point. It sucks. Every time. I'm sorry your moment in the sun ended up with a personal solar eclipse.
I don't think I was as bent as you were yesterday... well... maybe for a second or two...

To be sure, my moment in the sun was not going to be too bright (it sure as hell weren't no Joe Alessi or Gene Pokorny kind of bright), but it wasn't bad, especially when the initial nerves wore off. I definitely like recording for the purposes of self-criticism/improvement and for my own entertainment when it's decent. And I like to document events I participated in, which (strangely), my kids seem to appreciate. When I'm gone, they can say their old man left an indelible mark on the world, even though it's a smudge. A tiny one. In the lower right hand corner.

Regardless, it went pretty well, and it was very well-received. But the dunce cap is fitting extra well this morning. :eyes:

Doc (betting firmly that the failure was some sort of operator error or general dumbassery)
the elephant (Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:31 am)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Doc

Post by Doc »

bloke wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:57 am I have one of those little recorders, and only barely know how to use it, because I’ve only used it once or twice.
I tend to use my phone when I’m just making a quick recording. Lately, my phone has been dropping out and cutting back in and dropping out again on the audio. 🙄
… or maybe it’s just me who’s playing at 70 dB and then zero and then 70 and then zero…??
I use mine occasionally to record from the music stand, and this happens. Phones, particularly iPhones, are incredibly limiting/sensitive to sound pressure. Soft playing sounds full, and loud playing is suppressed. And the manner in which it limits the volume sounds funky and artificial, and there is little contrast in actual volume. The video is often top shelf, but the sound can be seriously lacking. And when these phones can cost upwards of $1200-1500, that friggin sucks.
bloke (Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:34 am)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Yes to all, but this particular phone didn’t used to suffer from dropouts.
Were I not such a cheapskate and unwilling to learn where stuff is hidden on a new phone, I would throw this one (a transitional phone between five and six) in the garbage in a minute and get another (NON-i) one.

I hope you have another chance to record that.

If I knew my way around my dedicated recording device a little better, I would actually probably put up a few more short demonstration clips - and then more people would know how badly I really suck.
I guess the easiest thing to do is to use Mrs. bloke’s phone when recording.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Doc (Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:56 am)
Doc

Post by Doc »

bloke wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:36 am Yes to all, but this particular phone didn’t used to suffer from dropouts.
Were I not such a cheapskate and unwilling to learn where stuff is hidden on a new phone, I would throw this one (a transitional phone between five and six) in the garbage in a minute and get another (NON-i) one.
It's ok to be a cheapskate. If a cheapskate decides something is important enough, he'll find a way to do it frugally.
I hope you have another chance to record that.
Doubtful, but that would be fun.
If I knew my way around my dedicated recording device a little better, I would actually probably put up a few more short demonstration clips - and then more people would know how badly I really suck.
I guess the easiest thing to do is to use Mrs. bloke’s phone when recording.
Or buy other video/audio equipment $$$, and then have it not work because of some other reason.

Doc (the other reason)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Doc

Post by Doc »

And btw, @the elephant...
If you're 186 has the same resonance and projection that mine does, I KNOW how stoked you must be about it. It's the only Miraphone I've ever owned that has that special, classic mojo,and it has it in spades. To be sure, the Hagen has it's own mojo, but it's a different mojo. A Teutonic hammer/daisy cutter sort of mojo. And when you need a big German hammer, it delivers big blows. I've pretended it was a Mahler hammer a couple of times (with great success), but I digress...
the elephant (Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:13 pm)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

I love this 186, to be sure! We should meet up and swap horns for a few minutes to clarify and define the goods and the bads of these two tubas. I would love to plat-test your 186 one day.

These users thanked the author the elephant for the post:
Doc (Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:29 pm)
Doc

Post by Doc »

the elephant wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:18 pm I love this 186, to be sure! We should meet up and swap horns for a few minutes to clarify and define the goods and the bads of these two tubas. I would love to plat-test your 186 one day.

I'm game. When one of us closes the gap, we should plan for it.
the elephant (Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:02 pm)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

I'm really sorry that you're recording equipment failed. I have experienced this problem with my Q2N. I purchased an external hard drive and external power bank, and that fixed the problem... mostly.

I don't really use it anymore because it's more of a hassle than just using my phone. If I want higher quality audio, I use a Zoom H1. I purchased a micro SD card reader that plugs into my phone to transfer the audio (super cheap). It's super easy and quick. I use my phone to record video. I then drop the audio into a video editing app (Viva cut pro). It only takes a few minutes to finish a decent quality audio/video recording.

Also from my experience with phone recordings, I have found that the video recording app that you use can have quite an impact on both the video and audio quality. My phone's(Android) built-in camera/video recording app has great video, but horrible audio. So I found an app that works fairly well (open camera).

There are a few other things that I have discovered over the past couple of years in COVID isolation in regards to audio/video recording on a budget with your phone, but I will try to avoid rambling and taking over your thread, lol 🤦
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
jtm

Post by jtm »

Maybe you can add some Blue Bells to your play-along video series. That'll be fun. One key might be enough, though.
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
Doc (Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:36 pm)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free