Gebr. Alexander Mainz (B&S 101 stencil) 4/4 BBb Tuba €2100

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Blechblaser
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gebr. Alexander Mainz (B&S 101 stencil) 4/4 BBb Tuba €2100

Post by Blechblaser »

Hi everyone,

I'm currently selling a very nice 4/4 BBb Tuba that was made by B&S Markneukirchen and sold under the name of Alexander Mainz.
The instrument looks great, considering it's age. It has some marks of previous repairs and some lacquer wear. Still, this instrument plays great.

The rotors move and feel great and the compression is great. All slides are moveable and the newsilver inner slides are in very good condition. These instruments were made to last for a long time!

The instrument has no case, but if you desire, I can give you a mouthpiece to it.

I'm asking €2100, shippings costs are not included. The instrument can be shipped or picked up in the Netherlands.

You can write me a message if this instrument is something for you! The tuba can be found on the website: http://www.brassshop.wordpress.com

Stryk

Re: Gebr. Alexander Mainz (B&S 101 stencil) 4/4 BBb Tuba €21

Post by Stryk »

I thought Alexander made everything they sold?? OK, I am confused now! :huh:
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
Blechblaser

Post by Blechblaser »

Stryk wrote:I thought Alexander made everything they sold?? OK, I am confused now! :huh:
They didn't make this tuba. Louis Jake Kline, a famous repairman and musician from Berlin, wrote an article about the same tuba on his website: https://brassandpipes.wordpress.com/201 ... model-101/

He stated the following:

In the past year, I have become aware of an old scam regarding these tubas. As I said earlier, the Alexander 163 and B&S 101 look and play quite similar. Apparently someone in the late 1960s to 70s imported B&S 101 to the USA and had them engraved as Alexanders. It’s true that Alexander did sell B&S 101s under the name Alexander, but they carried a stamped shield and the counterfeit horns were instead completely engraved from their bell kranz to the valve caps.

So it's a genuine B&S 101 with a Gebr. Alexander shield.
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Stryk wrote:I thought Alexander made everything they sold?? OK, I am confused now! :huh:
Just like Kayser (not Kaiser) is made in Scandinavia but considered to be German as a stencil under the maker's mark. It's just like some of these Chinese horns with the name Schiller on them. :coffee:
06' Miraphone 187-4U
Levaix

Post by Levaix »

Some other very cool horns on your site! If I weren't overseas (and, you know... the whole pandemic thing) I'd love to stop by and check some of these out.

As it is, I barely play enough to justify owning the horns I already have. :lol:
pjv

Post by pjv »

KingTuba1241X wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:14 am
Just like Kayser (not Kaiser) is made in Scandinavia but considered to be German as a stencil under the maker's mark. It's just like some of these Chinese horns with the name Schiller on them. :coffee:
I thought the J.F.Kayser was a Rudy stencil. I didn't know it was made in Scandinavia.
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

pjv wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:29 pm
KingTuba1241X wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:14 am
I thought the J.F.Kayser was a Rudy stencil. I didn't know it was made in Scandinavia.
Yes that was the name I was looking for. Yes stencil, some people will say it was made in Germany and some (based on the Kayser website) will claim it was made in Scandinavia. At least they don't hint it is a Rudy which might have been a good selling point. :huh:
06' Miraphone 187-4U