cerveney tubas

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Dean Robinson
Has thanked: 0

cerveney tubas

Post by Dean Robinson »

I have been switching between an ABB and a CBB and there seems to be a difference(besides shanks). Is there a difference in design? I like the ABB better I think but would have to get a European shank mouthpiece to replace the American 24AW it has. Thanks

DonO.

Re: cerveney tubas

Post by DonO. »

As far as I know, the ABB designation was used for Amati stenciled horns made by Cerveny. They were plainer “student” horns without as much nickel silver trim- no bell ring and plain brass slides. But other than that the actual design was not any different from the fancier Cerveny versions. I used to have an ABB Amati-Cerveny back in the 1980’s-90’s and an American shank mouthpiece fit perfectly. It was a nice playing horn. I’m sorry I sold it.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
Dean Robinson

Post by Dean Robinson »

Alright thanks for the reply. The older one has a european shank and the newer one(CBB) has an american shank. Trying to decide which one to buy
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Depending on the price of each tuba, and taking into consideration that changing a receiver is a minor detail, I would discount the receiver difference. I would go with the one that has the best combination of tone and intonation.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Can you tell us anything more about these tubas?

What size, key, age, # of valves, price, condition, etc...? It's impossible to say very much without knowing more... except pick the one that plays the best...

...given that it's a decent price to begin with. Would love to help, but need a little more info.
Dean Robinson

Post by Dean Robinson »

I'll get the info and post it, Thanks!
Dean Robinson

Post by Dean Robinson »

It turns out they're Cerveney 681s. I like the "older" one (less lacquer, more dents) with the Euro shank. I'll probably replace the shank to access more mouthpieces. Thanks for the info from everybody. This is a good site.
Dean Robinson
Bohm & Meinl Euph
Wessex Kaiser Baritone
Cerveney 681
These users thanked the author Dean Robinson for the post:
bort2.0 (Mon May 30, 2022 1:38 pm)