Cerveny News

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bisontuba

Cerveny News

Post by bisontuba »

V.F. Cerveny + Buckeye Brass & Winds

Buckeye Brass & Winds is excited to announce our relationship with AMATI Kraslice.
We have worked very closely over the past few months with Kirill Khryakov, CEO of AMATI/Cerveny, in setting up our dealership and will be taking delivery of Cerveny product later this summer and early fall.
The Amati / Cerveny company has been working diligently in building quality products and clarifying to the musical instrument world the state of the Amati/Cerveny company. They have faced many challenges not only in the US but in Europe as well. But they are excited with their reemergence.
We are excited to be a part of this story. AMATI/Cerveny is doing it right. Earning their integrity one customer at a time.
Let's welcome them back to our community! #mwrtec #mwrtec2022 #swrtec2022 #swrtec #cerveny #červeny #tuba #tubaplayer #kaisertuba #euphonium #euphoniums #euphoniumplayer #ITEC #itec #ITECconf22
These users thanked the author bisontuba for the post (total 3):
hrender (Sat May 28, 2022 1:06 pm) • Three Valves (Sat May 28, 2022 1:58 pm) • the elephant (Sat May 28, 2022 8:02 pm)

GC

Re: Cerveny News

Post by GC »

Is Lidl still in the mix with the Cerveny brand?
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

It was just recently posted here that Lee Stofer was going to bring several Lidl (formerly Cerveny) horns with him to display at this past weekend’s ITEA conference in Lexington, KY. Did he? I can remember people on here saying all the old Cerveny models were being sold under the Lidl name. I would assume Lee is an authorized dealer to be able to get “several” horns to sell. Perhaps it’s all in the name stenciled on the bell. The Lidls seem to be sold a lot in the EU. Perhaps the company is going to stencil the same horns “Amati” or even “Cerveny” for the US market because they think folks here are less familiar with the Lidl name.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

DonO. wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:05 pm It was just recently posted here that Lee Stofer was going to bring several Lidl (formerly Cerveny) horns with him to display at this past weekend’s ITEA conference in Lexington, KY. Did he? I can remember people on here saying all the old Cerveny models were being sold under the Lidl name. I would assume Lee is an authorized dealer to be able to get “several” horns to sell. Perhaps it’s all in the name stenciled on the bell. The Lidls seem to be sold a lot in the EU. Perhaps the company is going to stencil the same horns “Amati” or even “Cerveny” for the US market because they think folks here are less familiar with the Lidl name.
Lee did bring a few, I didn’t play on them because there was a certain horn I almost walked away with that he had.

Rob Phillips at Buckeye Brass can answer any questions on the Cerveny/Amati. He told me it is also his goal to clear up any questions or misunderstandings
These users thanked the author russiantuba for the post:
DonO. (Sun May 29, 2022 1:06 pm)
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

From the head of AMATI to Rob of Buckeye...fyi...

Hi Rob,

Thank you for passing this information.

Indeed it is false, because Lidl it isn't former Cerveny.
Lidl is a company which were renting the Cerveny production department during AMATI-Denak s.r.o. insolvency period (during approx. 1,5 year).
From October 1, 2021, when AMATI Kraslice, výrobní družstvo took over all the activities from former AMATI-Denak s.r.o., the rental contract was terminated, equipment, material and spare parts was returned to AMATI and now all Cerveny instruments are producing in AMATI facilities.

But during this 1,5 year Lidl was able to copy Cerveny instruments and start to produce it under their own brand.
Here in Europe was a lot of information stuffing about it, and now we can see that the same things are happening in USA.
This problems now are solving by our lawyers, but it is good if we also can give the right information to the people.

Would be nice if you can forward to me all fake info which you will get media in the US.
Espesially if there will be some official posts, catalogues, flyers, banners, etc.

But most important if we can start to provide the correct information.
For example next week is a NUMM show and maybe if you can publish in some music media that you received the status of an authorized dealer of V.F. Cerveny - traditional brand with 180 years history.
What do you think?

Best regards,
Kirill Khryakov
These users thanked the author bisontuba for the post:
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

These users thanked the author bisontuba for the post:
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

It is really good to get the straight story on the Amati-Cerveny-Lidl relationship. Thank you very much for that. By reading it I clearly understood the situation, even though it didn’t translate well into English 100% (still trying to figure out “information stuffing” :huh: “. But it’s good to know the actual Cerveny company is back on its feet, and with a US distributor!

I don’t know what good lawyers will do, unless copyright laws are different in Europe. Can you even copyright an instrument design? It would be odd for them to bring legal action against Lidl for “adopting” (nice word) their designs. Miraphone was originally formed by former Cerveny employees, was it not, who copied the 681 and reversed the numbers to 186? Copying of instrument design is rampant in the tuba world. Look at the term “Miraclone” we toss around. Not to mention all the Chinese designs that are copies of King, Miraphone, and Yamaha. I guess there’s only so many ways to bend a tube into a playable shape. So the best they could hope for with lawyers is to make certain that Lidl makes it clear in their advertising that they are NOT Cerveny.

If they came out with a BBb Piggy at a halfway reasonable price, I’d be tempted. :tuba:
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

I 'believe' a BBb and a CC Piggy are on order through Buckeye...but check with them on availability, options, price, etc ..
hrender

Post by hrender »

bisontuba wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:17 am http://www.vfcerveny.cz/en/news
Unfortunately the News page on the Cerveny site shows up as blank (not entirely, just no news) on all three browsers on my laptop. However, the language of the email sounds like the usual contentious lawyerese, so I assume it's the public position of the current company leadership. I'm still hoping to be able to play some of the current models over here at some point. I really like the old one I have.
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

This:

http://www.vfcerveny.cz/en/news

Takes you to the English VF Cerveny site with models, etc.
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

What does the weird rod-shaped trigger on the left hand side of some the models do? I don’t think it’s a 5th valve because you see it on models designated 4 valves.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

I think you are referring to a second slide kicker....
donn

Post by donn »

hrender wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:03 pm Unfortunately the News page on the Cerveny site shows up as blank (not entirely, just no news)
Thanks, I only tried two browsers. You know what they say, though - no news, is good news.

I didn't spend much time with the list of production models, but I see the F and Eb helicons aren't there no more. I don't know that the Eb was ever for real - I mean, they made them, but not necessarily within the last couple decades - but I thought the F was kind of popular.
Dean Robinson
Has thanked: 0

Post by Dean Robinson »

I'm going to NAMM so guess I'll have to stop by the booth

Dean Robinson
Bohm & Meinl Euph
Wessex Kaiser Baritone
Cerveney 681 w/Euro shank
cktuba

Post by cktuba »

Lee had a REALLY nice Lidl BBb tuba. Extremely smooth throughout the range of the horn and very well built. At a GREAT price. If anyone is looking for a REALLY nice 4/4 BBb, give Lee a call.
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Post by greenbean »

I would say this is great news! The Cerveny's I have played have been very good. And different.

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
Breavdah

Post by Breavdah »

The thing about Cerveny is there's too many. There's 3 basic bodies of 6/4 BBb, 2 of squatty bell BBb, up to 4 normal size+proportion BBb, and variants within like red brass, kranz, 5th valve. Its like..."can they all be good?". Maybe it is so.
matt g

Post by matt g »

Breavdah wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:14 pm The thing about Cerveny is there's too many. There's 3 basic bodies of 6/4 BBb, 2 of squatty bell BBb, up to 4 normal size+proportion BBb, and variants within like red brass, kranz, 5th valve. Its like..."can they all be good?". Maybe it is so.
I somewhat agree with this assessment.

With the F tuba offerings, it seems like they are trying to bundle together too many premium features at once. Maybe someone wants a 6V F without red brass and gadgets?
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Breavdah wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:14 pm The thing about Cerveny is there's too many. There's 3 basic bodies of 6/4 BBb, 2 of squatty bell BBb, up to 4 normal size+proportion BBb, and variants within like red brass, kranz, 5th valve. Its like..."can they all be good?". Maybe it is so.
The squatty ones all look like Piggies to me. I'm clueless on the different models based on photos in isolation.
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Any word on availability of parts?