Keefer happiness

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
humBell

Keefer happiness

Post by humBell »

I really just wanted to put a bad pun out there.

But asside from that, every time i seize an opportunity to play a Keefer, i really like it.

Am i nuts?

Sorry.

More specifically, is that particular sentiment nuts?

"All art is one." -Hal
bort2.0

Re: Keefer happiness

Post by bort2.0 »

I can't remember... did Distin become Keefer, or the other way around?

When I was at the Simonetti museum in NC, he showed me this one. Big for an Eb, and I thought the valve buttons were pretty slick:

humBell

Post by humBell »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:52 pm I can't remember... did Distin become Keefer, or the other way around?

When I was at the Simonetti museum in NC, he showed me this one. Big for an Eb, and I thought the valve buttons were pretty slick:

Distin (company) became Keefer when Distin (John) died.

Yeah, that front action Keefer is a thing of beauty (and quite uncommon, not that Keefers or Distins are plentiful in general)

The current TubaTuesday also merits mentioning here, as it is there helicon valve sets what are wicked cool. I'd even include Boosey & Co in the family lineage.
"All art is one." -Hal
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Quite a few years ago, a pawnshop friend of mine brought a Keefer three-valve top-action E-flat with cloisonné finger buttons to my house. It played very nicely in-tune with itself, and I can’t remember whether it was above or below modern pitch. He wanted $250 for it yet, which is probably the equivalent of $650 or $700 today.
I just didn’t need it and didn’t buy it, but did admire it.
humBell

Post by humBell »

"cloisonné"

Learn something new every day... assuming one pays attention.

I do like the rounded metal finger buttons that most have, even if the colored eagle ones are pretty snazzy.

$250 is what i paid for my BBb Keefer helicon as well. Plus 16 odd hours of driving and a regret. Seller actually said she'd take half that, but i guess i am not much of a bargainer...
"All art is one." -Hal
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I had a highly-engraved Keefer tenor horn for a while. It was in tune with itself but high pitch, had extenders that were the wrong length to put it in 440, and very very badly needed a valve job. Had its original mouthpiece. Sold it to a local trumpet pro who bought it for a student who passed on before he could take possession. It sure was pretty (silver) but not of any use to me.