Time with an Eastman 562 b flat

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
MikeMason

Time with an Eastman 562 b flat

Post by MikeMason »

I work for a music store that is an Eastman dealer and am doing a little talk on Eastman and other tubas and euphoniums at our annual sales meeting. We had a demo model 562 in stock so I brought it home with me this weekend. I’ve been using the Eastman 836 as my big horn for several years now and enjoying it very much. I’ve had the itch recently to add a b flat for certain uses, so this work assignment killed two birds. I really enjoyed it and it immediately reminded me of the early,smaller bell Thor I used to own. That tall top bow, compact bell diameter, and great low register! Except this low register was even better. I’ll say it virtually solved my low register issues. I did some research on our favorite former tuba hangout, and found the 562 is very similar, if not identical,to a gr51 b & s/ mw 605. You could also say a b flat tuono. I’ve not played any of those. I also have seen Chris Olka’s video of the modified 562 and the just released 825v . The things I didn’t love about the 562 were pretty much like Mr Olka said. Slides awkward to reach, but the intonation good enough to maybe require less slide pulling with using 3 for most 1+2 combinations. And it could benefit from a 5th valve, which could potentially solve some more of the low register pitch issues and possibly result in less slides to pull. I had a thought that pitch was close enough and quite bendable, that I might be able to plant my left hand around the side bow and with a few alternate fingering, just play. The 562 was really fun. It was surprisingly great to have all the spit come out in one easy accessible spit valve. Oh the time,hassle, and clanking I’ve dealt with emptying spit!It can be played very loud, like Thor. But some differences too like more warmth and bendability, maybe from the rotors? The 825v will add a larger bell, 5th valve,some rewrapped and more accessible tuning slides, gold brass, and hand made from sheet brass. I’m not sure if the sheet brass part made it into the final production model,and the 5th valve is an option. This would essentially be a b&s gr55 5v/2 ,the 2 meaning hand made from sheet brass. I would expect one of those to be in the 15-20000 range, and they probably would make you one with a big deposit. I’m hoping get my hands on an 825v as soon as possibly to check it out. A couple other thoughts,I know some folks liked the Thor less with the bigger bell version. I wonder if this could apply here too. Also, being hand made and presumed thinner gauge bell, wouldn’t this give more blend and less punch? Or just easier response? I guess you have to play for yourself to really know. I’m impressed with the Eastman products and happily play and sell them. I don’t represent or work for them. I sell many other brands as well,but more and more Eastman these days.Just my personal opinions.
Last edited by MikeMason on Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author MikeMason for the post:
the elephant (Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:11 pm)

Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
Three Valves

Re: Time with an Eastman 562 b flat

Post by Three Valves »

That was a great option when I played it BR.

(Before Rona)

New ones are a little costly now. :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
rschroer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by rschroer »

You work for a music store that sells Eastman instruments, but you say " I don't work for or represent them". Okay, sounds like bs to me.
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

I suppose we all have our biases, I can sell all major brands and was very slow to warm up to Eastman. But at least for low brass, I’m there now until and unless I have reason not to. They don’t need my help. They are sold out of most products far into the future. I’ve bought more pro tubas for myself than I’ve sold to customers by around 3X. We aren’t really in that part of the industry.
Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
Doc

Post by Doc »

I also am a believer in the 562, and I have posted accordingly in the past. It's a really good tuba.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!