Miraphone 190 impressions

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
MikeMason

Miraphone 190 impressions

Post by MikeMason »

Well, it got here safely, believe it or not, ups store. Seller packed with my instructions. Did a good job and a big helping of luck. It’s BIG, as expected, and in a totally different way than a York. Mine has a 19.75’’ bell, so that part is similar, but every other dimension different. Intonation things are as described by most people. I’m having a main tuning slide rod put on and something on the 2nd slide too. Second has a Very long pull. Main plus second long pulls will get 2+4 combinations in tune. The damn thing really likes a miraphone C4 mouthpiece 🙄. I’ve never used one but have an old battered one with a dented shank in my bag O mouthpieces. All my favorites are just hollow, dead, or too ringy. Second best is a bobo symphonic, but it ready likes a c4. What other mouthpieces are similar but a bit bigger? But I may just have to get used to it. The pitch is very bendy, like a whole step if I try, but yet still has a degree of guard rail/slot. I think it will be a keeper, at least for a while. I’ll put in line at the shop for service/polish plus some custom work. Real test will be live gigs of course. Next one not til October.
These users thanked the author MikeMason for the post:
bloke (Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:27 am)

Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
matt g

Re: Miraphone 190 impressions

Post by matt g »

The old Marc. TJ N4 is probably a decent match but the throat might be a bit small?

I use one of @bloke’s Imperial cup setups on my 2165 and that works well.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I've never read a review that leaves me more uncertain if the owner likes it or not. :laugh:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I realize that a reconfig of the #4 circuit might (??) be a more involved way to solve the 2-4 pitches, but - moving #4 - you can tune C and F individually (as C with 4th is flatter than F with 4th), PLUS you'll be able to tune E/B. ALSO, you can tune some of the extended low pitches (such as 4 ALL THE WAY IN, for 1-2-4 low E-flat, as well as the same for all-valves-down low D-flat...or EXTENDING the main and PULLING #4 for an "almost" 1-2-3-4 double-low C.
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

bort2.0 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:13 am I've never read a review that leaves me more uncertain if the owner likes it or not. :laugh:
Keeping it real. Pro’s: interesting new type of sound, can play really f’ing loud, my left ear isn’t ringing after a loud session- taller bell maybe accounts for. I do like it, but only been on 1 short date “ for coffee” so far. And it was cheap, for a tuba.
These users thanked the author MikeMason for the post (total 2):
Doc (Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:43 pm) • bort2.0 (Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:32 pm)
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

bloke wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:41 am I realize that a reconfig of the #4 circuit might (??) be a more involved way to solve the 2-4 pitches, but - moving #4 - you can tune C and F individually (as C with 4th is flatter than F with 4th), PLUS you'll be able to tune E/B. ALSO, you can tune some of the extended low pitches (such as 4 ALL THE WAY IN, for 1-2-4 low E-flat, as well as the same for all-valves-down low D-flat...or EXTENDING the main and PULLING #4 for an "almost" 1-2-3-4 double-low C.
Current plan: trumpet thumb saddle on second slide to be operated by right thumb with a max throw limiter(2 trumpet lyre holders with a length of leather shoestring), which means second slide needs venting. Main tuning slide rod on outside mts tube operated by left hand first and second fingers while other fingers grab upper outside bow for stability. With another max throw limiter setup.( which is how I do it on my f). Non surgical, low cost solution with commonly available parts, if it works.
donn

Post by donn »

As you probably know, the C4 was the recommended mouthpiece for the 190 BBb back in its day. I actually got one with mine, but eventually went to a Bach 7, which of course is not like a C4 in any apparent way, and the subsequent owner also preferred the Bach 7.
edfirth
Has thanked: 0

Post by edfirth »

Just to toss it out there, there's a C3, and a C6. Each progressively bigger than the C4. If there are any near you it might be worth a blow. Ed
jtm

Post by jtm »

C4 is a TU-23?
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
dp

Post by dp »

Hi Mike, since C4 is cup, or bowl-shape..
try the Miraphone Rose Solo, it is also cup shaped but a skootch bigger, may fit your order. Have fun with the 190!

C3 is like a Helleberg 7 funnel but without the sharp rim, Rose Orchestra bigger all-around funnel I think you'll prefer the Rose Solo
pfft (yes, that's for you)
donn

Post by donn »

jtm wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:33 pmC4 is a TU-23?
Yes.
These users thanked the author donn for the post:
jtm (Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:51 am)
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

I’m surprised how well I can get all over the horn with this old c4.high-check. Mid-check,low and loud-also check. The horn only has real core with this mouthpiece,at least of the ones I have. So for those in the know -how close is an old c4(Which mine is,but battered rim and shank) to the new 23? Exact or no? I guess I will just stick with this and acclimate, but I’d like a newer one or just order a new 23.
matt g

Post by matt g »

From what I’ve read and heard, the TU23 is very close, if not an exact copy, of the old C4.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Ask around for a Schilke 69C4, which is also the same, but I agree with Dale, that the Miraphone Rose Solo might work out better, because it’s basically a C4 with a larger throat.

A web search hints that the modern equivalent is a TU27.
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

Had the first concert on the new horn a while back. American in Paris, espana, el salon Mexico.Really enjoyed the new horn. Mostly the sound quality and the sense of power, especially low and mid register. The sound quality is like an old 186 b flat but bigger and without the edging out(it can ,but you really have to try, maybe due to big 20’’ bell this one has). I can basically play as loud as I want from around low f to f in the staff with quality sound. Still figuring out pitch solutions, but no issues on this concert. Still haven’t had all the work done I plan. I suspect,main and second slide moving devices will solve everything but low b and possibly low c will still be sharp. Slots are pretty bendy. From f# in the staff to about c above the staff the slots are very tight and narrow. Extra care is needed here. Alternative fingerings and very clearly hearing the pitches(“become a singer in your brain”-A.J.) helps greatly. I’m having a lot of fun on a small budget. Side note- only 2 trombone players noticed and/or commented on the different horn this season, from a silver Eastman 836, you know, virtually twinsies. Nobody really cares but us, folks :) I’m using the blokepiece symphony, btw. Not sure it’s the ultimate mp for the horn, but works well for now. It likes the miraphone c4, but I can’t keep the pitch down. Blokepiece working fine, and I’m very familiar with it.
Last edited by MikeMason on Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

matt g wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:11 pm From what I’ve read and heard, the TU23 is very close, if not an exact copy, of the old C4.
I have an old C4 I used for years. I tried it against a TU 23 at the Miraphone booth at a conference. The TU 23 appears to look the same as the C4, but it did not play the same. I would say the TU 23 is "based on" the C4. It is kind of like how the RT mouthpieces are supposed to be different than the perantucci, etc etc etc.
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

With a really REALLY good B-flat tuba, the C below the staff is better, because it’s not hollow-sounding, and because it can be tuned with 1 & 3.

Low B-flat is also better, because there are 18 feet of expanding bugle resonating that pitch.

Bragging on a B-flat tuba - and not on myself, you should’ve heard the 1984 Olympic Fanfare (key of C) performed last night. 😎
(there were also some amazing trumpet players on hand, so that helped a good bit, because a really nice/huge tuba low C sounds a good bit better when there are some really nice trumpet C major cords sitting on top of it. 😉)

I chuckle when people consider me to be a maverick (please: in the James Garner way, and never in the John McCain way 😎😳) because I’m playing B-flat tubas - and maybe also because I actually spent a little bit of money and and or/time significant acquiring them - in paid orchestras in the USA.

I just sold a C tuba to a community college.
My car was stuffed with tubas, because I dropped off that instrument, dropped off another large tuba at a high school in the same town, and had my B-flat, F, and cimbasso in the Toyota as well. One of the former band directors was kicked upstairs in the fine arts department of the community college, and it was his idea to buy the C tuba. He and one of the band directors (very large band department) were out by my car watching me pull everything out so I could get their instrument out of the car. (Unfortunately, everything only fit in the car one way, and theirs was not on the top.) when I pulled out the big case with my B-flat in it, they asked, “What kind of C tuba is that?” When I told them it was a B-flat, their eyebrows went up really high, but they were no longer interested in the make/model.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
York-aholic (Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:27 am)
poomshanka

Post by poomshanka »

I liked the LOUD LM-10 on my 190 CC. I've always called it a C4 on steroids. Mine has the LM-3 rim on it, which has a bit more bite, but the stock rim is great as well. You may need to ping Dave Houser about getting one, or maybe try and find one used on eBay.