Pan-American Eb sousaphones

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
sdloveless

Pan-American Eb sousaphones

Post by sdloveless »

It's me again, Margaret!

Was hoping you fine folks wouldn't mind chiming in with your opinions of Pan American Eb Sousaphones. Baltimore brass has a couple, which I think they've had for a long time, that really aren't very much money at all. And I was thinking about maybe driving down there next weekend and poking around a bit. I'm really kind of thinking something like this might be fun for the occasional Dixieland gig, parade, or just farting around while learning to play Eb. Also, @bloke's for sale post last April got me to pondering a bit about a "fun horn".

Anyway, what do you all think of them?

Scott Loveless
Pennsylvania, USA
1939 King 1240, JP179B
"When life knocks you down, stay there and take a nap."
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Pan-American Eb sousaphones

Post by bloke »

@groovlow virtually makes a living with the three valve and four valve Conn versions, so he should probably chime in.

Those feature a bell that is the same as the 14K, and I’m thinking the bore is bigger than .630”, on those.

For what it’s worth, I did quite a bit of work on his four valve and – not bragging on the work but on the potential and the fact that it was realized – I am quite enamored with that instrument… But again I believe the Conn versions are not the same as the Pan-American versions.

I believe I have encountered a four valve instrument like the Pan-American that said “Blessing” on its bell, and I’m thinking that I measured the bore at .625” (5/8”), rather than .630“.

The more I type here, the more it seems as though this post was a bunch of crap…here goes anyway…
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
sdloveless (Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:41 pm)
tubadude

Re: Pan-American Eb sousaphones

Post by tubadude »

If the MTS of those Pan Americans are like my 1915 York helicon, before the valve cluster, Bloke could hook you up with a cool rotary valve dohickey thingy that flips the horn from Eb to C. I do most of my playing on the C side but every now and then when I want to take a walk on the wild side I'll flip the horn over to Eb.
These users thanked the author tubadude for the post:
sdloveless (Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:53 am)
TubaDude
1909 King BBb Helicon
1915 York Eb/C Helicon
2022 Franken Helicon CC
192x Franken 5/4 Conn CC
197x Meinl Weston Bill Bell CC