Effect of Masks on Playing

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
russiantuba

Effect of Masks on Playing

Post by russiantuba »

When I have to wear a mask all day, I notice a lot of crud in my throat, and a gritty gargling sound, particularly in a certain range. Other people who aren’t musicians say they complain of a scratchy throat. I figure something small to someone else has a different effect on us.

I am keeping well hydrated, but is anyone else having this issue and if so, any solutions?

Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
matt g

Re: Effect of Masks on Playing

Post by matt g »

If you’re using a 100% cotton mask, it could be a tiny bit of lint accumulation from breathing and talking.

Personally, my lips are completely chapped and that’s been a pain.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
tubanews
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tubanews »

russiantuba wrote:When I have to wear a mask all day, I notice a lot of crud in my throat, and a gritty gargling sound, particularly in a certain range. Other people who aren’t musicians say they complain of a scratchy throat. I figure something small to someone else has a different effect on us.

I am keeping well hydrated, but is anyone else having this issue and if so, any solutions?
I have had this issue as well, I get a sore throat from wearing a mask too much. Oh the IRONY.
Wessex Chicago York
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
KorKoro
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KorKoro »

Every time I try to play with a mask it sounds as though I have focal dystonia. :tuba: :tuba:

KorKoro
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

russiantuba wrote:When I have to wear a mask all day, I notice a lot of crud in my throat, and a gritty gargling sound, particularly in a certain range. Other people who aren’t musicians say they complain of a scratchy throat. I figure something small to someone else has a different effect on us.

Give your throat a couple of toots of throat spray during the day. A weak OTC brand would be fine or talk to someone in your school's vocal department to see what they use.