just for comparison

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

just for comparison

Post by bloke »

new Heckel bassoon (current pricing for those who have been on the wait list) - $70,000

wait list length: 16 years

jtm

Re: just for comparison

Post by jtm »

Just one of the reasons that I picked tuba when I wanted to start playing again a few years ago.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

jtm wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:58 am Just one of the reasons that I picked tuba when I wanted to start playing again a few years ago.
fwiw...I have some darn-well put-together fiddles, here, that you can take off my hands for $475.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Better 16 years than 16 light years.

Actually, 16 years is a duration. Whereas, 16 light years is a length.

:tuba:
jtm

Post by jtm »

So I shouldn't be measuring the time of the Kessel run in parsecs?
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

These users thanked the author the elephant for the post (total 3):
prairieboy1 (Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:18 am) • Casca Grossa (Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:16 pm) • windshieldbug (Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:15 am)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

11 ft 8 FTW

Or for that matter, 11 ft 8 + 8 FTW
MedicineMan

Post by MedicineMan »

bloke wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:54 am new Heckel bassoon (current pricing for those who have been on the wait list) - $70,000

Insane. Thirty years ago it was around $18k as I recall and a much, much shorter wait time. There are a number of excellent makers out there these days that produce bassoons that are every bit as good as a Heckel for much less $$. Of course Heckel is to bassoons what Harvard is to higher ed…. “The Name”
These users thanked the author MedicineMan for the post:
the elephant (Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:57 pm)
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

My niece is a professional bassoonist and her main ax is a Fox 601. Her grandparents bought that for her about 15 years ago when she graduated with her undergrad degree (she now has a DMA). My father had one proviso--I had to handle the transaction. So, I drove to Ohio (to fetch my niece) and Indiana to make the purchase. One seller had a used Heckel, and frankly I thought she sounded a lot better on the Fox. She did, too. The Fox was priced similarly to the report above of Heckel prices from 30 years ago. The Heckel was about twice that.

She didn't have to wait 16 years for her Fox. She had to wait about 16 minutes. But we did stop by another place to get a few modifications made to it that she wanted, and I think she ended up with a different bocal.

Rick "she ended up buying at WWBW, which meant I got to try out tubas while she was trying out bassoons" Denney
These users thanked the author Rick Denney for the post:
the elephant (Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:01 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

A local amateur friend had a Heckel; but -- he had a tuner on the stand. Nuf said. It did have a marvelous sound. His health went downhill a few years ago (vision among other things) and last I remember he was trying to get $30k for it. I don't know if he did or not.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

MedicineMan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:33 am
bloke wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:54 am new Heckel bassoon (current pricing for those who have been on the wait list) - $70,000

Insane. Thirty years ago it was around $18k as I recall and a much, much shorter wait time. There are a number of excellent makers out there these days that produce bassoons that are every bit as good as a Heckel for much less $$. Of course Heckel is to bassoons what Harvard is to higher ed…. “The Name”
In 1993 they were about $40,000 with a two-year waiting list. I was at our principal bassoonist's party when he called them in the middle of the night to place his order and pay. That was a pretty wild party, IIRC… :thumbsup:
Mcordon1

Post by Mcordon1 »

Have you guys seen Eppelsheim's site/instruments?
I don't know their prices, but he has has unique instruments, apparently some of which are superior to their standard predecessors.

https://www.eppelsheim.com/en/

He redesigned a contrabassoon with a much bigger bore and reed, called it a Contraforte, very powerful.

The contraforte design is very close to his Bb ~~subcontrabass saxophone~~ which he calls a "TUBAX", a full octave lower than a bass sax(can hit Ab0, half-step below piano).
That design is also mirrored for a compact-wrapped version of an Eb contrabass saxophone, another one he calls a tubax.

ANND he is the only maker of the Bb "soprillo" saxophone. A full octave higher than soprano, and fifth higher than the sopranino.
MedicineMan

Post by MedicineMan »

the elephant wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:00 pm
MedicineMan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:33 am

In 1993 they were about $40,000 with a two-year waiting list. I was at our principal bassoonist's party when he called them in the middle of the night to place his order and pay. That was a pretty wild party, IIRC… :thumbsup:
Dang, maybe it’s been 35 years plus then. Regardless, tubas are just a much better deal!

P.S. Please tell me he didn’t drunk order the Heckel. :bugeyes:
These users thanked the author MedicineMan for the post:
the elephant (Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:16 pm)
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Yes, Fox make some fine bassoons, and we have a few of them sitting here waiting to be restored and sold - when Mrs. bloke has time…
… but it’s difficult to deny that when a company can charge $70,000 - and have a 16 year waiting list, that there is some demand for their products.
😐

Jimbo makes a sort-of good enough 186ish instrument, probably makes them as fast as they can, and I think the current selling price is about 2500 bucks…whereas Miraphone is also making real ones as fast as they can, and those are selling for four or five times as much.

I’m not trying to compare Fox to Jimbo, but making a point that there are things priced at different price points because there is a demand for those different products.
Tubeast

Post by Tubeast »

Try acquiring a Klaus Fehr french horn (his workshop is situated near Maastricht, Netherlands)
Waiting time has grown from two to six years since 2019...
This guy must be doing SOMETHING right, ´cause his are the FIRST horns bearing his name, there´s not centuries of horn-lore in his past to create demand in the present...
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

During times of inflation, their slogan is:

What the Heckel be the price next year?
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Spend a few shekels and get the Heckel!!

:smilie7:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:34 am During times of inflation, their slogan is:

What the Heckel be the price next year?
That’s really interesting. I wasn’t aware that they used Memphis sentence structure in Wiesbaden.