Roger Bobo's new authorized biography: "Love Songs & Pirate Songs"

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Steve Oberheu

Re: Roger Bobo's new authorized biography: "Love Songs & Pirate Songs"

Post by Steve Oberheu »

bloke wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:51 pm
bort2.0 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:36 pm $20 shipping is a deal-breaker for me.
I didn’t notice that. I wonder if the seller knows about media mail. Perhaps there is a mitigating circumstance. (??)
Hello friends!

Ahhh, yes...the shipping. This has been a problematic issue for a lot of people. I just wanted to answer a few of the questions I've been getting:

Q: Why are shipping costs so high?
A: A few reasons...the biggest one being that I live in Canada. For each transaction, in addition to just the shipping cost ($17.81 is the cheapest option for one book through Canada Post) there is an accompanying $2-3 PayPal fee, packaging fee ($2 per bubble mailer...$4 for orders of two books), and fuel surcharge of $3.44 and upwards (the greater the distance, the greater the charge) which has only gone up in recent days, oh yeah...and tax too! So, as you can see, it actually costs me an average of around $25 to ship one book. Charging $19.95 for shipping to the US? I'm not even covering my costs. I get it, it sucks to have to pay for things, but, as an independent who has done everything to produce this book on my own dime and my own time, my costs are just a little bit higher than they might be for someone who has the backing of a publishing company.

Q: Is there someone in the US who can ship your book for less?
A: Right now, no. I have asked a couple of folks, but nothing has been arranged. I dropped off a few copies with Steve Ferguson at The Horn Guys. Other than that, the only place to get this book right now is through the Upper Hay website.

Q: Do you know about media mail?
A: Yes, that's available through the US Postal Service. I live in Canada. The only comparable thing we have up here is a reduced rate for something that is considered a news publication, which this book is not.

Q: Do you ship through Amazon?
A: No. I refuse to do business with a company that treats its employees the way they do.

Q: Do you have an e-book available?
A: I will after these books have all sold and my credit card is paid off.

Q: Will you ever have sales?
A: Yes. Every now and then I will have a half-price shipping or free shipping two-day sale for special occasions (Gustav Mahler/Ringo Starr's birthday was one of these). Half-price shipping for purchases over a certain amount is also a thing I do.

We actually took a moment on the Conical Supremacy podcast with John Noreyko and Doug Tornquist to address the shipping. Go to the 43:34 mark to hear the whole bit, and especially check out what Doug has to say about the shipping at 44:22. https://youtu.be/FO8U9Tu9Ix4

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I view the book price as perfectly fair.

Eventually, I'll likely go ahead and pay the international shipping.

Having a USA friend (who might owe you a favor...??) offer to media mail them for you might (maybe...who knows...??) result in more sales.

To make it easy for that person, you could supply them with a stack of mailing envelopes and a bunch of stick-on USA stamps - to they could (simply) mail any from home (rather than carrying them to a post office) for which you received orders.

Just as an example: For me to mail a 1 lb. book - via Media Mail, from rural Tennessee to Seattle (2400 miles over US highways - or however it might get there) - only costs $3.49

You could charge $5 for inside-USA-Media-Mail postage and (well...) the extra buck-fifty could help defray the cost of the envelope and the credit card processing.

https://postcalc.usps.com/

I hope you sell hundreds of these.
:cheers: :clap:

(Hey folks, It's pronounced Ober-hoy, I've heard.)
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

As your neighbour one province to the west, I can empathize about the shipping costs with our American friends. However, the fact that this entire project was done on YOUR dime and you incurred costs that must wait to be paid off mitigates any complaining about the mailing cost. Thanks for taking this massive project on and I am really looking forward to reading the book! Cheers! :tuba:
These users thanked the author prairieboy1 for the post (total 2):
York-aholic (Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:37 pm) • arpthark (Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 pm)
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Steve Oberheu

Post by Steve Oberheu »

bloke wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:01 pm
Having a USA friend (who might owe you a favor...??) offer to media mail them for you might (maybe...who knows...??) result in more sales.

Just as an example: For me to mail a 1 lb. book - via Media Mail, from rural Tennessee to Seattle (2400 miles over US highways - or however it might get there) - only costs $3.49

You could charge $5 for inside-USA-Media-Mail postage and (well...) the extra buck-fifty could help defray the cost of the envelope and the credit card processing.

This is not a bad idea! Media mail is definitely the most cost-effective way to go within US borders. Unfortunately, of all the friends I have in the USA, none owe me any favours of this magnitude. But, if I could find someone...anyone...who would be willing to front me the money for a box of 32 books at cost to re-sell for the same price I have listed on my website, and to ship via media mail, that would be a deal worth working out. Do you know anyone who might fit that description? Please point me in any direction towards someone of a similar mind.

Thank you, Joe!! I have 544 of these books and hope to sell them all, eventually.

Yes, it is....rhymes with "Chips Ahoy." I'm considering changing the spelling of my surname just so Canadians can pronounce it!
Steve Oberheu

Post by Steve Oberheu »

Steve Oberheu wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:54 pm
bloke wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:01 pm

This is not a bad idea! Media mail is definitely the most cost-effective way to go within US borders. Unfortunately, of all the friends I have in the USA, none owe me any favours of this magnitude. But, if I could find someone...anyone...who would be willing to front me the money for a box of 32 books at cost to re-sell for the same price I have listed on my website, and to ship via media mail, that would be a deal worth working out. Do you know anyone who might fit that description? Please point me in any direction towards someone of a similar mind.

Thank you, Joe!! I have 544 of these books and hope to sell them all, eventually.
Yes, it is....rhymes with "Chips Ahoy." I'm considering changing the spelling of my surname just so Canadians can pronounce it!
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

The book arrived yesterday. I’ve only read the first chapter but, you’re a gifted storyteller. I quite enjoyed that first chapter and will attack it anew after some much needed sleep.

Thank you for writing this.
These users thanked the author York-aholic for the post:
Steve Oberheu (Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:42 pm)
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
Steve Oberheu

Post by Steve Oberheu »

Thank you so much for the kind words!! I hope you enjoy the rest of the book!
Steve Oberheu

SALE announcement!! "Love Songs & Pirate Songs" -- 25% off!!

Post by Steve Oberheu »

Hello friends!

Just wanted to let you all know that between now and Labour Day, Upper Hay Music will be having a "Back to School" sale. Enter the coupon code "Back2School" in your cart and then click on "Apply Coupon" to receive a 25% discount on your order. Offer expires on September 5.
Last edited by Steve Oberheu on Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

Got my copy Monday....tnx.
Steve Oberheu

Post by Steve Oberheu »

bisontuba wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:08 pm Got my copy Monday....tnx.

My pleasure! Enjoy!!
Bob Kolada
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bob Kolada »

Thanks for doing this Steve; I ordered two, one to join the other books I haven't read on my shelf 🤣 and one for a Bobo student I know. FWIW, I selected pay by card and it still sent me to the PayPal checkout.

Order 316, get them while you can people!
dobiefeld
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dobiefeld »

Got mine today ! Will start reading soon ..( after finishing Neil Gunn's Highland River and Samuel Florman's Blaming Technology. )
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I missed an opportunity last year (the year before that…??) to hear him do a master class in the Nashville area. I was sick, but had registered to attend and had to cancel.

A friend went after I told him about it, and (reportedly) most of the things that were offered as critiques were all the things that I know and have heard – but I certainly would have liked to have heard him say them in his frank, matter-of-fact, and somewhat no-holds-barred way… even including things that other clinicians might be embarrassed to point out - such as distracting mannerisms, or distracting noises of a performer or their instrument.
Steve Oberheu

SALE ANNOUNCEMENT!! FREE/HALF-PRICE SHIPPING!!

Post by Steve Oberheu »

Hello friends!

Now through Labour Day, as part of our Back2School sale, Upper Hay Music is pleased to offer FREE SHIPPING to addresses in Canada and HALF-PRICE SHIPPING to everywhere else in the world (that's $9.95 for USA and $15.95 for addresses outside North America). Enter the coupon code "Back2School" in your cart and then click "Apply Coupon" to receive an additional 25% discount on your order.

Hollywood studio tuba legend Jim Self had this to say:

"I just finished reading "Love Songs and Pirate Songs", Steve Oberheu's fine biography of the great Roger Bobo, Roger is one of the most important tuba players and teachers of all time. I had the privilege of working and studying with him in Los Angeles. His most unusual pied-piper trip though life, music, and the world is documented with surprising honesty. I encourage you all to buy copies and learn about Roger's life."

Sale ends Sept. 5. Supplies are limited. Get your copy of "Love Songs & Pirate Songs: The Life and Music of Roger Bobo" now at: http://www.upperhaymusic.com/?product=l ... iratesongs

Don't forget to pick up a .pdf copy of the manuscript version of the score and solo tuba part to Vaughan-Williams "Tuba Concerto" too: http://www.upperhaymusic.com/?product=c ... -solo-part
Steve Oberheu

"Back2School" Sale on for 3 more days!! FREE/HALF-PRICE SHIPPING!!

Post by Steve Oberheu »

Hello friends!

BUMP for a little reminder:

"Love Songs & Pirate Songs: The Life and Music of Roger Bobo," the new authorized biography, is available now!! This limited-edition pressing of 544 physical copies of the book is a one-time run. Once these are gone, the book will only be available in digital format. Supplies are limited and are selling fast! Get your copy of "Love Songs & Pirate Songs: The Life and Music of Roger Bobo" today at: http://www.upperhaymusic.com/?product=l ... iratesongs

Now through Labour Day, as part of our Back2School sale, Upper Hay Music is pleased to offer FREE SHIPPING to addresses in Canada and HALF-PRICE SHIPPING to everywhere else in the world (that's $9.95 for USA and $15.95 for addresses outside North America). Enter the coupon code "Back2School" in your cart and then click "Apply Coupon" to receive an additional 25% discount on your order.

Don't forget to pick up a copy of the complete manuscript score and composite solo tuba part of the Vaughan-Williams "Tuba Concerto." See for yourself the original manuscript and all the markings in the composer's hand. Download the .pdf at: http://www.upperhaymusic.com/?product=c ... -solo-part
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 4.26.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 4.26.52 PM.png (75.66 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
Steve Oberheu

Post by Steve Oberheu »

Hello friends!

Are you feeling bad because you missed out on the "Back2School" sale? Don't!! Upper Hay Music is please to announce that we have extended our sale until Sept. 11!!

"Love Songs & Pirate Songs: The Life and Music of Roger Bobo," the new authorized biography, is available now!! This limited-edition pressing of 544 physical copies of the book is a one-time run. Once these are gone, the book will only be available in digital format. Supplies are limited and are selling fast! Get your copy of "Love Songs & Pirate Songs: The Life and Music of Roger Bobo" today at: http://www.upperhaymusic.com/?product=l ... iratesongs

Now through Sept. 11, as part of our Back2School sale, Upper Hay Music is pleased to offer FREE SHIPPING to addresses in Canada and HALF-PRICE SHIPPING to everywhere else in the world (that's $9.95 for USA and $15.95 for addresses outside North America). Enter the coupon code "Back2School" in your cart and then click "Apply Coupon" to receive an additional 25% discount on your order.

Don't forget to pick up a copy of the complete manuscript score and composite solo tuba part of the Vaughan-Williams "Tuba Concerto." See for yourself the original manuscript and all the markings in the composer's hand. Download the .pdf at: http://www.upperhaymusic.com/?product=c ... -solo-part
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 4.26.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 4.26.52 PM.png (75.66 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
Steve Oberheu

"Back2School" coupon malfunction

Post by Steve Oberheu »

Hello friends!

It has come to my attention that some of you ordering from the Upper Hay website may be getting the message that the 25% off "Back2School" coupon is "expired." This is due to an error on my part; my deepest apologies to anyone who was not able to take advantage of that discount. I have double-checked the details and made a couple of adjustments inside the website so hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else.

To anyone who may have been affected by this, to make up for the inconvenience, I would happily do one of the following:

1) Send a Paypal refund for the amount of discount you would have received with the coupon.
2) Send you a free copy of the Vaughan-Williams tuba concerto .pdf (value of $9.99).
3) Send you free .pdf copies of some of my original music once it becomes available (value of $12.99 and up...coming this fall).

You can contact me via PM here or through the website: http://www.upperhaymusic.com/.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

This next week (after this hectic weekend) I'm going to take care of this purchase, and - if it gets to be later on in the week, and I haven't done so - I would appreciate a prompt.
Steve Oberheu

Post by Steve Oberheu »

bloke wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:37 am This next week (after this hectic weekend) I'm going to take care of this purchase, and - if it gets to be later on in the week, and I haven't done so - I would appreciate a prompt.
Hello friends!

Hope the school year is off to a good start for all of you! Today is the last day to use the "Back2School" coupon code for 25% off your order. Half-price shipping to international addresses and FREE shipping to Canada will continue throughout the month of September. Get your copy now before these are gone!!
Steve Oberheu

Worldwide Shipping Sale!!

Post by Steve Oberheu »

Only 4 days left in our worldwide shipping sale, featuring FREE shipping to Canada and HALF-PRICE shipping to the rest of the world. http://www.upperhaymusic.com/?product=l ... iratesongs