Lighter Springs for my VMI 3302

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
LibraryMark

Lighter Springs for my VMI 3302

Post by LibraryMark »

Folks -

My VMI 3302 (4/4 4 piston, one rotor BBb) is becoming really hard on my fingers, especially the first valve, as I seem to be developing arthritis on the first outer joint. I am not sure if it's from playing this horn or just my age, but it's becoming an issue.

I would like to try some springs that aren't so stiff. What are my options for this horn?

Thanks -

Mark

arpthark

Re: Lighter Springs for my VMI 3302

Post by arpthark »

Yamaha euph springs:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Euphonium ... B00KIUO4BI

I had these in my old piston valve tuba and it really lightened up the action. I basically had the CC version of your tuba -- a PT-20P (B&S 4197) -- so you might find that solution also works for you.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
LibraryMark (Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:00 am)
Blake
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

arpthark wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:55 am Yamaha euph springs:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Euphonium ... B00KIUO4BI

I had these in my old piston valve tuba and it really lightened up the action. I basically had the CC version of your tuba -- a PT-20P (B&S 4197) -- so you might find that solution also works for you.
Thanks! I just ordered a set and we'll see how it goes. Did they slow down your valves any at all?
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

No problem!

No, I don't recall them slowing down the valve action at all. The valve machine on that horn was very nice. I kept the tuba clean and just used regular old valve oil as needed.
Blake
Nworbekim

Post by Nworbekim »

would these work in a meinl 2145? the valves in my horn wear my hand out. i was thinking of trying lighter ones. the guy i bought it from was a giant of a fellow with huge hands, i guess he needed the xtra hard action or something.
Miraphone 186 - King 2341 - JP179B - York & sons 1910 Eb - Meinl Weston 2145 - Wessex Festivo - King 2280
Play it with emotion and play it strong! Don't make a face and they won't know it's wrong!
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Nworbekim wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:16 am would these work in a meinl 2145? the valves in my horn wear my hand out. i was thinking of trying lighter ones. the guy i bought it from was a giant of a fellow with huge hands, i guess he needed the xtra hard action or something.
I believe the MW 2145s made since the 1990s and the two tubas mentioned above actually use the same pistons (but the slide routing is a bit different) -- B&S/MW/VMI "big valve". Even if you had the older small-valve 2145 I don't see any reason why the Yamaha euph springs wouldn't work. Tons of people use 'em.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
Nworbekim (Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:56 am)
Blake
Nworbekim

Post by Nworbekim »

arpthark wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:28 am
Nworbekim wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:16 am would these work in a meinl 2145? the valves in my horn wear my hand out. i was thinking of trying lighter ones. the guy i bought it from was a giant of a fellow with huge hands, i guess he needed the xtra hard action or something.
I believe the MW 2145s made since the 1990s and the two tubas mentioned above actually use the same pistons (but the slide routing is a bit different) -- B&S/MW/VMI "big valve". Even if you had the older small-valve 2145 I don't see any reason why the Yamaha euph springs wouldn't work. Tons of people use 'em.
i'm not sure of the manufacture date. it's a rainy day here, so i'll make that today's project. thanks
Miraphone 186 - King 2341 - JP179B - York & sons 1910 Eb - Meinl Weston 2145 - Wessex Festivo - King 2280
Play it with emotion and play it strong! Don't make a face and they won't know it's wrong!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Yamaha springs don’t seem to quite fit in the indentions in German tuba bottom caps.

That having been said, I’ve never gone to the trouble to mount them in the lathe and hit the caps with a slightly larger end mill.

I’ve wondered about a delrin adapter that pressed tightly into those in indentions which would also feature a riser which would fit slightly loosely inside Yamaha springs’ coils. Of course, it would have a hole drilled out through the middle.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

My tech at the time ordered and installed 'em. He might have fudged the spring a bit to fit. I don't remember any specific issues with the setup, but this was over 10 years ago. Worked great for me.
Blake
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

I use Yamaha euph springs on my 1291CC. My tech told me to use tuba springs on my Gronitz PF 125 (not sure why), but they are coated and light weight just like the euph springs
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
Ace

Post by Ace »

Yes, they will work on a MW 2145. When I bought my MW 2145 from our esteemed colleague, Roger Lewis, at WW&BW, he enclosed in the case a set of Yamaha euphonium springs. I never used them, preferring instead the stiffer MW springs.

Ace
These users thanked the author Ace for the post:
Nworbekim (Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:45 pm)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I think Yamaha euph springs aren't strong enough. Yamaha tuba springs are much better for me.

Any piston tuba I get receives the following:
* Yamaha tuba springs
* Sellmansberger valve buttons
* PVAK or synthetic washers
* Delrin valve guides

Haven't tried MAW valves yet, but seems like a fun thing to try out.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Who remembers - 30/40/50 years ago - when teachers/others/nearly everyone was recommending getting some "good strong springs" - so you can play fast ?

...and yes the eastern-German-made tubas springs aren't ridiculous, but (to me) they are quite a bit too strong.

===========================================================

This is the (probably, made of delrin) "adapter" that I've imagined:
adapter.png
adapter.png (610 Bytes) Viewed 929 times
The picture is poorly/hastily drawn and not to scale, but the fatter part would pop (tightly) into the B&S/M-W bottom valve cap spring indentions, and the smaller top part would fit (a bit loosely) inside Yamaha tuba or euphonium valve springs.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
York-aholic (Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:08 am)
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

bloke wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:39 pm Who remembers - 30/40/50 years ago - when teachers/others/nearly everyone was recommending getting some "good strong springs" - so you can play fast ?

...and yes the eastern-German-made tubas springs aren't ridiculous, but (to me) they are quite a bit too strong.

===========================================================

This is the (probably, made of delrin) "adapter" that I've imagined:

adapter.png

The picture is poorly/hastily drawn and not to scale, but the fatter part would pop (tightly) into the B&S/M-W bottom valve cap spring indentions, and the smaller top part would fit (a bit loosely) inside Yamaha tuba or euphonium valve springs.
I have a decent 3D printer. Might have to make a prototype once my springs show up.
These users thanked the author LibraryMark for the post:
bloke (Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:19 pm)
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

So after spending some time on the horn with the Yamaha euph springs I have found that my fingers are happier and the valves are no slower than they were before. But there is not as much difference as I would have thought between the two sets of springs.
matt g

Post by matt g »

Glad those worked out!

The great thing about front action pistons is that the springs only need to be strong enough to slide the piston back forward. There isn’t much weight at this angle and hopefully not too much friction.

My MW has very light springs. When it’s laying down, the pistons “sag” a little. But in normal playing position, everything is fine and the pistons are fast.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

The springs in my York 712 are so light that if the horn is horizontal in my lap, they don’t push the pistons all the way up but are perfect in playing position. I know instantly when I need to clean things.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC