Rudy 3/4 CC in orchestra examples

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bort2.0

Re: Rudy 3/4 CC in orchestra examples

Post by bort2.0 »

hrender wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:19 am This is the closest I've come to clips from that period. They never seem to show the tuba player, even fleetingly.

You can see him from behind at 1:18, when the music is over and they stand for the applause. You don't see much, but it's there.

hrender

Post by hrender »

I've seen film of other performances from that period (some even earlier), so I think it's possible, although likely challenging. There are a couple of YT clips of the RCO rehearsing with Haitink that show a glimpse of a tuba (can't see the player), but they're from 1965, and I think Mr. Bobo had left by that time.
aarongsmith

Post by aarongsmith »

Not sure of any video or recording, but I believe Rex Martin used a Rudy 3/4 while subbing in the Chicago Symphony. In fact, that may have been the same horn that Andrew Hitz now owns.
Rudolf Meinl 5/4CC
Willson 3400FA-5 Eb
Besson New Standard Euph
S.E. Shires Bass w/ Greenhoe Valves
jtuba

Post by jtuba »

@bort2.0

The NJSO released in the 90s several commercial recordings on the Delos label. Dvorak Requiem and Symphonie Fantastique come to mind immediately, but there were a few others as well. They might be available on streaming services
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

jtuba wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:40 am @bort2.0

The NJSO released in the 90s several commercial recordings on the Delos label. Dvorak Requiem and Symphonie Fantastique come to mind immediately, but there were a few others as well. They might be available on streaming services
Thanks!

Listened to a recording of Pictures at an Exhibition and some Gliere as well. Very nice!
Doc

Post by Doc »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:48 am Can anyone point me to some recording examples of a Rudy 3/4 CC being played in an orchestra?

I believe that Pat Landolfini(sp?) Played one as his primary instrument in the NJSO, but I'm not aware of any other examples. I'm sure there are some, I just don't know them.

I haven't found too many examples of this model on YouTube. I believe that hey Rudy 3/4 CC was used on several of the burning River brass cds, and I listened to some of those. I just want to hear what it sounds like in an orchestra setting.
People probably don’t want to hear my Shirt all over again here, so email was sent. I’ll have some additional band (section) stuff to send later.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Andy

Post by Andy »

aarongsmith wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:40 am Not sure of any video or recording, but I believe Rex Martin used a Rudy 3/4 while subbing in the Chicago Symphony. In fact, that may have been the same horn that Andrew Hitz now owns.
At one time, Rex was a dealer for Rudy Meinl and the exchange rate was very advantageous for US buyers. He had a complete set (F, 3/4, 4/4, and 5/4) in both yellow and gold brass. I am pretty sure the 5/4 Rudy was his main instrument (I remember seeing a photo of him with it when he was subbing on a CSO Japan tour). But I also believe he had access to the Yorks when he was subbing. I know that he showed up at the Grant Park audition (won by Fritz Kaenzig) with one of the Yorks. Just seems like he would have preferred the big tubas with the CSO instead of the 3/4 Rudy, but I could be mistaken.
aka Happyroman :tuba:
dp

Post by dp »

Andy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:16 pm
aarongsmith wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:40 am Not sure of any video or recording, but I believe Rex Martin used a Rudy 3/4 while subbing in the Chicago Symphony. In fact, that may have been the same horn that Andrew Hitz now owns.
At one time, Rex was a dealer for Rudy Meinl and the exchange rate was very advantageous for US buyers. He had a complete set (F, 3/4, 4/4, and 5/4) in both yellow and gold brass. I am pretty sure the 5/4 Rudy was his main instrument (I remember seeing a photo of him with it when he was subbing on a CSO Japan tour). But I also believe he had access to the Yorks when he was subbing. I know that he showed up at the Grant Park audition (won by Fritz Kaenzig) with one of the Yorks. Just seems like he would have preferred the big tubas with the CSO instead of the 3/4 Rudy, but I could be mistaken.
I've known people who were students in that area at that time who purchased the big ass Rudy tubas, interestingly I've not met one Northwestern student from that era who plays one of the 3/4 horns...
pfft (yes, that's for you)
Oedipoes

Post by Oedipoes »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:48 am Can anyone point me to some recording examples of a Rudy 3/4 CC being played in an orchestra?
Matthew Gaunt played on one of these about a decade ago... so you could theoretically look for burning river brass, Chicago chamber musicians, Milwaukee and Chicago symphonies... although you'd probably need to ask him on which recordings the Rudi can be heard...