What to Build?

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
Tubajug

What to Build?

Post by Tubajug »

Hey folks,

Time for another "Tell me how I should spend my time/energy/money" thread.

Some of you might remember that I had plans to build a 5/4ish CC tuba from a Conn Giant Eb bell, King body, and Conn 14K valves (two sets to make into one four-valve block). I also have a Pan American sousaphone here (essentially the same as a 14K, in semi rough shape).

As I'm sitting here looking at this and thinking about the kind of playing I do, I'm debating if I should set the CC idea aside in favor of building a BBb helicon from the sousaphone and Conn bell. For any "concert" tuba needs, I've been using either my modified King 2341, or my King medium Eb frankentuba.

I've been using my Eb helicon for some standing gigs, but am becoming more and more aware of its limitations as a three valve instrument. I do have a valveset here from which I could harvest a valve and add a fourth.

So....should I scrap the CC for now and go for a BBb helicon which will likely get more use, or continue with the CC project and fix up and sell the sousaphone? I'd really prefer a helicon for standing gigs either way, whether the BBb I would build or adding a fourth to my Eb. If I build the BBb, I will sell the Eb. With the 14K valves here, I could even make it a four-valve BBb helicon, but I might just save those for something down the road.

Thoughts? I know this is ultimately my decision, but I like to see what people throw out there. Thanks!

Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
the elephant

Re: What to Build?

Post by the elephant »

Which idea makes you smile more? Because that is all that really counts. We do this for entertainment.
These users thanked the author the elephant for the post:
bloke (Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:35 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Stop reminding me about all the stuff I haven’t finished.😡
At least, I stuck a few more doodads on my F cimbasso.
If I don’t get that bass trombone cimbasso stuck together pretty soon, I won’t have time to learn how to play it before I’ve got Dvorak 7 in March.
Yeah: it is fun…but then also: there’s a bit of urgency. 😁
Cornelian dilemma: keep the house from falling down (and the snakes and rats away from the house - by chopping these meadows back down into lawns), or maintain and build equipment that I need to be playing to make some money…(??)
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

I think the 5 valve Cc would be cooler, but I think you should do the one you think will be the most useful and will turn out the best.

No matter what I’m sure it will turn out excellent! :tuba:
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

LargeTuba wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:11 pm I think the 5 valve Cc would be cooler, but I think you should do the one you think will be the most useful and will turn out the best.

No matter what I’m sure it will turn out excellent! :tuba:
Haha! See? There's the side of me that says "I want to do it to see if I can..." vs "What will I actually use?"

The other option would be if anyone wants to donate a bell I can use to convert the sousaphone to a helicon... I could do both! Though when I ran all this by my wife, her response was "Which option will result in fewer tubas in the house? :laugh:
These users thanked the author Tubajug for the post (total 3):
the elephant (Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:49 pm) • York-aholic (Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:18 pm) • LargeTuba (Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:11 pm)
Jordan
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Yamaha YBB-103

Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

I believe have decided to go in the BBb helicon direction. I'm going to leave it as a three-valve instrument though so I can hang on to my valveset and use it in another project.

Maybe I could put a four-valve block on my Martin Mammoth...

I've also got a complete set of King bows (bottom bow through dogleg) to do something with down the road.

Thanks for the help and comments!
Jordan
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Yamaha YBB-103

arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Tubajug wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:15 pm
I've also got a complete set of King bows (bottom bow through dogleg) to do something with down the road.
Me too! (except I have up through the bell tenon all the way to the main tuning slide)

Currently toying with the idea of plopping in a York bell, but it'd be my first Frankentuba job and I'm not sure if I wanna risk trashing the York bell... it would be a five rotary valve CC.

Do keep us updated on the helicon!
Doug

Post by Doug »

a 6/4 CC/FF double tuba obviously
Doug Black
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
Bob Kolada
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bob Kolada »

Do you have a tuba shaped cimbasso? If not you need one, desperately. I went with a 3 valve Eb so I could get a cheap valve set and still have low Bb and A (more of a bass trombone sub than something to play monster movie soundtracks). 🤘

.562 is a little small in hindsight, .59x or .62x would probably be just fine but harder to source.
These users thanked the author Bob Kolada for the post:
bone-a-phone (Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:55 pm)
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

Bob Kolada wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:26 pm Do you have a tuba shaped cimbasso? If not you need one, desperately. I went with a 3 valve Eb so I could get a cheap valve set and still have low Bb and A (more of a bass trombone sub than something to play monster movie soundtracks). 🤘

.562 is a little small in hindsight, .59x or .62x would probably be just fine but harder to source.
A cimbasso is essentially a cylindrical bore tuba, yes? I guess I've seen them, but haven't ever really tried to define it...

I have a three-valve block from a front-action Eb here and a bell from an old French euphonium.
Jordan
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Yamaha YBB-103

Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

Doug wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:49 pm a 6/4 CC/FF double tuba obviously
Obviously... :teeth:
Jordan
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Yamaha YBB-103

bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

Bob Kolada wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:26 pm Do you have a tuba shaped cimbasso? If not you need one, desperately. I went with a 3 valve Eb so I could get a cheap valve set and still have low Bb and A (more of a bass trombone sub than something to play monster movie soundtracks). 🤘

I need to get one of these. 3v might be ok, but I'd prefer 4. Bass bone sub is exactly what I need. I think I'd prefer F.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Tubajug wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:52 pm

A cimbasso is essentially a cylindrical bore tuba, yes? I guess I've seen them, but haven't ever really tried to define it...

I have a three-valve block from a front-action Eb here and a bell from an old French euphonium.
Cimbasso = contrabass valve trombone, usually in a funky L shape but they have been made in tuba form as well (e.g. by Kalison).

Old euph bell and an Eb valve block is a great start.
I mostly play the slidey thing.