stage presence

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

stage presence

Post by bloke »

On Facebook, there are a lot of pictures of college children playing tuba solos on stage taken by their teachers with kudos regarding their playing.
Most of them are still pictures, so there’s no sound. What I notice is the slouching posture, the poor self placement on stage, the disrespectful attire, and - possibly worst of all - hiding behind their music stands and buried in their sheet music.

Realistically, tuba players aren’t hired to play solos, but humans occasionally have to stand up in front of others and say things or even make speeches. Teachers must do this every day, and the vast majority of college children who played tuba solos in college on stage end up being school teachers.

… just a few observations this afternoon before I am through resting from the work I did earlier and about to get back up to do some more. 😐
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:52 pm)

Jim Williams

Re: stage presence

Post by Jim Williams »

A few years ago, I was gonna give a recital at my kolij--Quintet (in which I play horn parts on euphonium), Tuba-Euph quartet, and euph/piano pieces.

At the first rehearsal with the piano professor at the kolij, her first question was "You're not gonna do that thing where you talk to the audience, are you?" After my affirmative response, we determined that there would be no euph/piano pieces on that particular recital.
The artist formerly known as Snorlax.
Shires Q41 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 Baritone, Conn 50H trombone.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Technically, the affirmative to that question would be, “Yes, no I will not.”

Anyone can do as they wish, but I figure program notes - on the backs of programs - can pretty much cover stuff like that.

If a musical piece and performance are engaging, no explanations are needed. If they aren’t particularly engaging, there are always the program notes.

- bloke “tugging on one of your shoe-supporting appendages“
iMav
Has thanked: 0

Post by iMav »

I appreciate when the artist is familiar enough with the piece they are about to perform to give a quick synopsis.
Euphoniums
Sterling Virtuoso IV
John Packer 374LT
John Packer 274L
S.E.Shires Q41s

Larry Herzog Jr.
Twitter: iMav
Facebook: iMav
Email: me@imav.org
Founder of geekhack.org

Linktree: iMav

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I was only referring to posture, dress, demeanor, positioning oneself on the stage, music stand height, and other visuals…
…If someone wants to get chatty before they play to get over nerves (or to explain why the patrons aren’t going to like the piece 🤣) – whatever.

bloke “ i’ve noticed people never really feel the need to explain Mozart.”
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:20 am
…If someone wants to get chatty before they play to get over nerves (or to explain why the patrons aren’t going to like the piece 🤣) – whatever.
"I played this piece to get over my depression, so if you don't like it, or fail to grade me well, you're a bigot." :eyes:

I appreciate good grooming and a polished look. :tuba:

"Oh, you don't like the way I dress either? You're a bigot AND a snob!"

:smilie2:
Last edited by Three Valves on Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

I made some faux pas in my day as a freshman toobist.

All our directors -- from wind ensemble to studio prof -- were big on decorum.

The proper length to bow after a performance, I was taught, was to look down at your feet, say "Hello, toes," to yourself, and rise.

After my freshman jury I remember bowing... to no applause. :facepalm2: My pianist was like, "what are you doing??" I guess I thought I played the Hindemith that well.

--
The less-visually distracting a performance, for me, the better.
Blake
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I’m not in charge of anybody, but quite a few people my age and a little bit younger or older are in charge of decisions. I’m still not accustomed to a black suit with brown shoes or Halloween colors in head hair. Neither am I accustomed to T-shirts and flip-flops on stage No one’s going to say that those things caused them to judge someone differently, but what people say is not always everything they are thinking.

When I was 18 through 21 years old, I supported the “so what“ attitude. I wish I had been smarter.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

@Bloke you may pull that particular digit, but no others, please.

When I address the audience, it is to engage them and show appreciation for their attendance, and to give them some background info. I also believe that some brief respites between pieces are advisable.

While I may give some background about one of my arrangements, I have been fortunate enough
never to have to play a piece that needs explanation or "deserves to be heard." I also have a well-
developed sense of humor and am accustomed to ad-libbing in front of audiences, skills developed in my former life.

It also helps me to curb nervousness and gives my chops a break after playing high horn parts on a euphonium.

I can do this when I'm in the quintet or solo with my computer but not in the larger groups. I enjoy it.
The artist formerly known as Snorlax.
Shires Q41 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 Baritone, Conn 50H trombone.
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

Realistically, tuba players aren’t hired to play solos
Perhaps I’m wrong I don’t really think of Euphonium (Tenor Tuba) players as Tuba players, but them aside nobody is much interested in Bass and Contra Bass Tuba Solos. Trumpet solos and Trombone solos might be in demand but I’ve yet to see an audience be really grabbed by someone playing a Bass Tuba.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Are two threads getting intermingled?
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

bloke wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:41 pm Are two threads getting intermingled?
Maybe, apologies if so. I lifted an interesting comment from the original post and also mentally noted that Jim Williams is a Euphonium player and does perform.
These users thanked the author 2nd tenor for the post:
bloke (Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:29 pm)
Tubeast

Post by Tubeast »

Regarding attire: I´m not too picky about style, but will appreciate CARE.
I can live with "Edel-Punk" (weird, but elaborate hairstyle).

Strange colors are fine with me, but please not partially grown-out.
If You dyed your hair in signal green but made up Your mind 10 days before recital and now want to return to your natural color,
PLEASE just re-dye your hair in that tone of your choice.

Torn pants can be OK, too, but please WITHOUT coffee stains, even at non-suspicious places.

To me, yellowish, tobacco-stained index- and middle fingers will ruin the positive effect of the most formal of dresses.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

It was quite the shock when I got here to Tucson and started going to recitals / whatever at the U of A. Back East, we were formally dressed and no one would have even considered on an outdoor Saturday what I saw here, which was flip flops and basically sloppy dress on stage. That was a little extreme, but the casual dress here is ubiquitous except in really formal large group concerts, in which people in the back will still wear sneakers. Part of the culture, and I guess due to the heat, which is not even imagined Back East. I'm a jeans and tee shirt person but geez not on stage.
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

what I realized was that true virtuosos on any instrument could make me forget what the instrument(s)/music was and just become immersed in the music & performance.
I think that that is right, well it works for me. I’ve heard some fantastic music played on Recorders, but surely everyone knows that they’re screechy instruments with a limited range. As they say it ain’t what you’ve got it’s what you do with it and whilst I’m sure some folk can give wonderful solo performances on their particular instruments they’re probably the same type of (rare) folk that can run up hill pulling a heavy load behind them.

Solo Bass Tuba, I find that they are better as a supporting act as here:

Solo Tenor Tuba is a different matter, as in the start of this piece: . Glynn Williams can, and later does, play anything.

On stage presence and dress code I often think that Brass Bands sometimes trip up on this one. Uniforms can be good, but be careful what the uniform is as rather than give presence a poor uniform diminishes it. As far as I’m concerned, plain, smart and respectful of your audience’s expectations is appropriate - what suits one situation might not suit all.
Last edited by 2nd tenor on Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Tuba players sit in the back of bands, can probably slouch behind their instruments, and even probably - every once in a while - whisper to each other during concerts.
They just don’t have any experience being up front - next to an accompanist - playing solos, and most need more coaching in regards to this. Even the way they carry their instrument on and off stage makes an impression.

Further, the fit of their clothing, the choice of their shoes, the shine of their shoes, their grooming - of this sort of thing… It’s just not emphasized with tuba players.

That’s my main point.
Please visit and "like"...
instruments: https://www.facebook.com/midsouthmusic79
mouthpieces: https://www.facebook.com/Sellmansbergermouthpieces
2021 - 2024 Border Czar
iMav
Has thanked: 0

Post by iMav »

bloke wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:14 am When I was 18 through 21 years old, I supported the “so what“ attitude. I wish I had been smarter.
That's quite the minimal time frame. I've spent decades without a clue. LOL
Euphoniums
Sterling Virtuoso IV
John Packer 374LT
John Packer 274L
S.E.Shires Q41s

Larry Herzog Jr.
Twitter: iMav
Facebook: iMav
Email: me@imav.org
Founder of geekhack.org

Linktree: iMav

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

iMav wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:43 am
bloke wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:14 am When I was 18 through 21 years old, I supported the “so what“ attitude. I wish I had been smarter.
That's quite the minimal time frame. I've spent decades without a clue. LOL
Yeah, I left the stupid window open and didn't bother closing it for nearly a decade! :laugh:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

bloke wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:04 pm Technically, the affirmative to that question would be, “Yes, no I will not.”

Anyone can do as they wish, but I figure program notes - on the backs of programs - can pretty much cover stuff like that.

If a musical piece and performance are engaging, no explanations are needed. If they aren’t particularly engaging, there are always the program notes.

- bloke “tugging on one of your shoe-supporting appendages“
I'm reminded of a piano concert when I was at FSU. I don't remember the player, but he was a professional piano soloist and this was part of a tour he was on, I believe.

Played a great concert, and he received a standing ovation. He came out, sat down for the encore, and as soon as everyone stopped clapping, he smiled and said, "Chopin." And played one of the preludes. That was the only thing he said the entire concert.

All I remember about the concert is a very well-played concert, and that one single word. I don't remember any of the pieces he actually played, and I couldn't even remember a single melody from that entire concert at all. Hell, I don't even remember who he was. But I do remember how professionally quiet he was on that stage, and let his fingers do the talking.
These users thanked the author BopEuph for the post:
bloke (Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:24 pm)
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.