CA Reverb: Conn 2J

For posting interesting and remarkable deals found on the internet.
hrender

CA Reverb: Conn 2J

Post by hrender »

arpthark

Re: CA Reverb: Conn 2J

Post by arpthark »

Condition of the valves notwithstanding, this seems to be a very fair price. Comes with a gig bag too.

---
Not that anyone asked my opinion, but to generate discussion:

The Conn 2J is probably my least-favorite model of CC tuba I have played. (speaking generally and not counting individual stinkers or intonation nightmares like the MW 2155R).

I did have own one for a while that had a fifth valve added by Norm Epley, and that one wasn't too bad, and Norm's work was great.

But in general, I'd rather play on almost anything else. I found intonation challenging, sound lacking, the slanted valve section ergonomics poor, and the lack of a stock fifth valve coupled with the small bore makes playing tastefully in the low range a bit of a chore.

But, people like 'em, so whatever.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

I owned one for a while that was so so, and never really liked it until I borrowed it from it's owner after me to play in a uni orchestra concert while my tuba was in the shop.

They're really fun tubas, and I remember having a better time playing it as a 3 valve tuba with an auxillary 4th mentality. I do kind of want this one, but local pickup only :smilie4:
Oh well, the ones with silver inside the bell look cooler
Wibbly wobbly, tubaly woobaly . . . stuff
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

TheDoctor wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:46 pm I owned one for a while that was so so, and never really liked it until I borrowed it from it's owner after me to play in a uni orchestra concert while my tuba was in the shop.

They're really fun tubas, and I remember having a better time playing it as a 3 valve tuba with an auxillary 4th mentality. I do kind of want this one, but local pickup only :smilie4:
Oh well, the ones with silver inside the bell look cooler
Glad you enjoyed yours!

There's a tuba for everybody.

:tuba: :cheers:
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

arpthark wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:16 pm
Glad you enjoyed yours!

There's a tuba for everybody.

:tuba: :cheers:
I do get your distaste for them, as they're fairly skinny tubas and play with more back pressure than I like to feel (maybe the one I played was leaky?). Anyway, I sat down and really figured out how to play it in tune because I was called on for Danzon by I forget and Nimrod from Elgar's Enigma Variations in that concert, which were both very fun pieces to play, moreso if one isn't stinkin it up with bad tuba-ing, but also very not fun to play on my f. I remember having - but I forget which model and rim - a sellmansberger that matched the horn very well for my face.

Once I figured out how to play it, I really enjoyed playing Rochut in the tuba octave for practice room routine time when I didn't really have anything in particular to work up. That is until I got my Bell model back. It really made me appreciate the sonic weight of the Bell, despite it being an undersized 4/4 by modern standards .
Wibbly wobbly, tubaly woobaly . . . stuff