Sold: Conn Sousaphone, 1941 $500

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Urgon

Sold: Conn Sousaphone, 1941 $500

Post by Urgon »

My dad is in a nursing home, and I need to sell his instruments. This is a Conn Sousaphone. I was told this is a 1941 model.

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GVRqxKbSkmfuDasv6

Price:

$500. Offers will be considered.

I live in NC, but I just arrived in NY, and picked up this horn from the repair shop where it was being held. (No repairs were made to it). Sadly, the owner of the shop, Paul Abel, has died. To anyone who knew him, if you're in the area, there's going to be a celebration of life party soon with people bringing instruments and playing. I think his brother, Phil, might post some details somewhere on these forums because I told him how many people mentioned knowing him as I was selling all these horns. You can also check The Abel Brass Clinic website or Facebook page.

A couple of people have asked about shipping this horn, and I got a quote from The UPS Store today for shipping it from Rochester, NY to Louisiana. The shipping estimate was $500, and the packaging was $297. That's insane, but I figure I'd share. I'm sure it'd be a lot cheaper if I built my own box and used a less expensive shipping method, but not very interested in doing that.

Instead, I'd rather find a buyer somewhere between Rochester, NY and NC to whom I can deliver the horn when I head back to NC. I can go pretty far out of my way, too. I won't be in any hurry, and I'm driving an RV, so I don't mind seeing some sights. I don't know exactly when I'll be heading back, but not until early September at the earliest.

So if anyone interested in the horn fits that bill, let me know. I check my DMs fairly regularly.

Condition:

I don't know much about horns, and I can't really speak to it's condition too much. My father says it's playable. Paul Abel said it leaks air, probably from the valve cylinders, but he wasn't sure. To which my dad said something like, "Well sure, it's old, but there's a trick you can do with cold cream and a drop of oil and make it perfectly playable for weeks." You can see the condition of the valves in the photos. The slides all work to my knowledge, but might be a little sticky.

The neck you see in the photos was lost. I think Paul accidentally gave it to someone buying a different sousaphone they came to pick up. When I picked up this horn, I noticed it had a different neck on it that looks brass, and not silver plated. It's also pretty banged up. I can take a new picture of it. It had a mouthpiece in it, so I have that, too, now.
Last edited by Urgon on Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:03 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Urgon

Re: FS: Conn Sousaphone, 1941

Post by Urgon »

Lowered the price from $1500 to $975
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

Pm sent
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

pitch?
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

Boomer wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:05 ampitch?
It's in Eb
Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
Urgon

Re: Pending: Conn Sousaphone, 1941

Post by Urgon »

This is still available.
halissen1

Re: Pending: Conn Sousaphone, 1941

Post by halissen1 »

PM sent
Urgon

Post by Urgon »

This is the last horn I have for sale. It's still being held in Rochester, NY.

Price reduced to $500.
hrender

Re: FS: Conn Sousaphone, 1941 $500

Post by hrender »

This is a great price for a 4 valve Eb.
Urgon

Post by Urgon »

I just told a couple of people this in private messages:

> Sorry, I can't ship it. I'm in NC, and the horn is in NY with no one available to deal with shipping it. Maybe when I'm back up there in July, but not until then. At this price, I'm thinking eventually someone in the area will want to make the trip.
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

Wow, at that price, I'd love to have this! Unfortunately it's nowhere near me! I agree; Someone will take it.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
joshealejo

Post by joshealejo »

Hello I have sent you 2 PMs

Thanks,
Jose
ellanora57
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ellanora57 »

Is this still available?
Urgon

Post by Urgon »

This horn is still available.

I just arrived in NY, and picked it up from the repair shop where it was being held. Sadly, the owner of the shop, Paul Abel, has died. To anyone who knew him, if you're in the area, there's going to be a celebration of life party soon with people bringing instruments and playing. I think his brother, Phil, might post some details somewhere on these forums because I told him how many people mentioned knowing him as I was selling all these horns. You can also check The Abel Brass Clinic website or Facebook page.

A couple of people have asked about shipping this horn, and I got a quote from The UPS Store today for shipping it from Rochester, NY to Louisiana. The shipping estimate was $500, and the packaging was $297. That's insane, but I figure I'd share. I'm sure it'd be a lot cheaper if I built my own box and used a less expensive shipping method, but not very interested in doing that.

Instead, I'd rather find a buyer somewhere between Rochester, NY and NC to whom I can deliver the horn when I head back to NC. I can go pretty far out of my way, too. I won't be in any hurry, and I'm driving an RV, so I don't mind seeing some sights. I don't know exactly when I'll be heading back, but not until early September at the earliest.

So if anyone interested in the horn fits that bill, let me know. I check my DMs fairly regularly.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

arpthark

Post by arpthark »

I've unfortunately used up my toobah budget on a King recording bell horn, but this is a seriously great deal and the seller has been really upfront and honest when I've chatted with him about this horn.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
Urgon (Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:38 pm)
ellanora57
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ellanora57 »

Is this still available?
Urgon

Re: Sold: Conn Sousaphone, 1941 $500

Post by Urgon »

I finally sold this horn. Thanks for all the interest, everyone.
These users thanked the author Urgon for the post:
arpthark (Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:16 pm)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Many thanks to Todd for the meet up!

Now, whoever accidentally ended up with the original silver gooseneck for this horn, give me a call! :tuba:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If this had been before the inauguration and before the retirement of Mr. Secrist, I would have bought it the first day it was advertised.