Mouthpiece suggestions?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Kctuba

Mouthpiece suggestions?

Post by Kctuba »

I have been playing on a Schilke HII for many years now. I have now been playing on a Mack Thunderbird for a couple months, and really dig the horn. I just have a feeling I need to experiment with mouthpieces a bit to see if I can dial the horn in a bit further. I know MP’s are different for everyone, but what models out there have you guys had success with on the larger York knock offs? I’m just old enough to have not payed attention to the tuba mouthpiece explosion over the past ten-fifteen years. 😜

KCMO free lance musician and teacher
Band Director NKC Schools
Besson 982
tubanh84

Re: Mouthpiece suggestions?

Post by tubanh84 »

My two “American tuba” mouthpieces are my Mike Finn H and my Olka CB1. The Mike Finn does a great job of reining in a lively horn. The Olka…does the opposite.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

tubanh84 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:27 pm My two “American tuba” mouthpieces are my Mike Finn H and my Olka CB1. The Mike Finn does a great job of reining in a lively horn. The Olka…does the opposite.
Man, I sold a Mike Finn H many years ago and always wished I had kept it.

For that matter, is Mike Finn still making and selling mouthpieces?
GC

Post by GC »

Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Actually, I have come full circle. After trying many mouthpieces of different geometries and prices, I have come back to a Conn Helleberg 120S for my Jupiter JTU1110, which with its .732 bore and large throat 17.4-inch bell is on the larger side of what most consider 4/4 tubas, or maybe even the small side of 5/4 tubas. Since there are so many variations over the years with rim contour and bite, cup diameter and even throat diameter, you would have to try several to find one that fits you.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic