storage stands

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
cjk

Re: storage stands

Post by cjk »

no tuba stands here.

JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

I’ve have the ones from string swing which primarily makes wall mount guitar stands. They make one which will hold a tuba or sousaphone. I use them for my helicon and sousaphone but not my willson eb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

A long time ago I had one of those wooden things that hold the bell and sit on the floor. I think it worked pretty well. Better than sitting the bell on a bare floor to get scratched up. It had carpet in its surface so if you sit your bell on carpet not much advantage. It does help the horn to balance better I think. I believe Baltimore Brass makes something like it now?
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
Tuba1153

Post by Tuba1153 »

DonO. wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:47 pm A long time ago I had one of those wooden things that hold the bell and sit on the floor. I think it worked pretty well. Better than sitting the bell on a bare floor to get scratched up. It had carpet in its surface so if you sit your bell on carpet not much advantage. It does help the horn to balance better I think. I believe Baltimore Brass makes something like it now?
I have one of the Baltimore Brass Stands and it works as advertised, but only if the queen lets me use it...

:laugh:
These users thanked the author Tuba1153 for the post:
bloke (Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:56 am)
===================
Mirafone 186 CC
B&S PT-5P CC
Cerveny Piggy CC
Cerveny 686 BBb
B&S Symphonie F
Meinl-Weston Pre-25 BBb
Weril CC
BMB J-345 Eb
B&H 782 Imperial Eb
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I was amused when I saw that someone - in the very large clarinet forum on Facebook - was showing off their project of painting over the hideous yellow portions of their assortment of Hercules clarinet stands.😉
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Tuba1153 (Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:52 am)
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

No storage stands here either. Tubas are packed away in their bags after use and are either on the bed in the spare bedroom or behind the sectional couch in the living room. Perhaps I would practice more if they were out, however this is the safest solution for me. I do nearly all of my practicing at the band hall anyway with the "Yard Goat" tuba listed in my signature. :tuba: :thumbsup:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
MartinMan
Has thanked: 0

Post by MartinMan »

I have no choice but to use stands because all of my horns are either sousaphones or recording bell tubas. If I had the option to just prop the horns against the wall, I would.

+1 on the K&M sousa stand. I'm trying to find a second one, but they're hard to come by. As for my main tuba stand, I've really enjoyed using an older-style playing stand that I assume a lot of bass doubler players used in dance bands used back in the day, that cradles the bottom bow of the horn and keeps it in an upright playing position. I'm in the market for a second one of those as well, but again, hard to come by.
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

MartinMan wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:22 pm , that cradles the bottom bow of the horn and keeps it in an upright playing position. I'm in the market for a second one of those as well, but again, hard to come by.
The one I posted a picture of on page 1 of this thread could be for sale. PM me if interested.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
Furguson11
Has thanked: 0

Post by Furguson11 »

bloke wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:34 am I’m a hypocrite - regarding this post, because I have/use them here (mostly, Mrs. bloke’s idea - combined with me having picked up several of them for virtually no cost, over the years), …but do people really believe that using storage stands (at home) is better for their instruments than simply setting them carefully on their bells and leaning them carefully against the wall?
My Cerveny 683 with a 14" bell is always better placed in a Hercules storage stand, the bell is small and it is completely out of balance so it would have to be pointed into a corner to avoid tipping over. When I go to German Band gigs with multiple sets with 15 minute breaks, I bring the stand with me. We sit in the back so no big deal to have it behind my stool for easy access.

Plus I do tend to pick the tuba up to toot a few notes when letting out the dog in the back yard.
These users thanked the author Furguson11 for the post:
bloke (Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:44 am)
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

Not helpful, but perhaps interesting or amusing:

Ceiling stand:
4 young, rambunctious kids + 2 bedroom apartment (we were between selling our previous home and buying the next) + uncased BBb sousaphone (only used during Independence & Christmas seasons).
I inverted the horn (valve-side down), nested the bell in it, and suspended it snugly against the ceiling in a relatively quiet corner.
I wish I'd taken a picture - I don't recall the particulars of the fastening or suspension system.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Now that I've solved my storage problem for my expensive bags (that - for the time being - I've decided to NOT use, in favor of hard cases), I need to devise some sort of wide/strong shelf for my CASES. I'm looking around this spacious "tuba room", and not immediately seeing a good spot for them...but I imagine something will occur to me.

EDIT
Actually, something just did occur to me: ((💡))
SInce I've sold off so many of my instruments (re: the bloke 1-year/collecting-dust/not-generating-income rule) I can toss these bulky Wenger floor stands into the attic or the barn, and (simply) set these cases on their bell ends behind the TV-watchin' tuba-room couch.

F tuba case problem resolved:
I have a fiberglass Walt Johnson HD fiberglass "road" case (NO tuba case is a "flight" case) which is 4/4 and the interior is a PERFECT fit for my B&S F tuba. It may (??) be a few pounds heavier than a plastic-molded case, but it has great wheels (which I installed). I'm just going to use it (had been taking up space, upstairs) and quit looking.