B&M "York Master" stencil

For posting interesting and remarkable deals found on the internet.
KingTuba1241X

B&M "York Master" stencil

Post by KingTuba1241X »

What could possibly be made by B&M in Germany as York Master but stenciled E.K. Blessing for U.S. sales?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EK-BLESSING-4- ... xtU1CPzjr8

06' Miraphone 187-4U
LeMark
Site Admin

Re: B&M "York Master" stencil

Post by LeMark »

That's a lot of tuba for the money.
Yep, I'm Mark
hrender

Post by hrender »

KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

hrender wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:19 pm York and York Master: Old vs. New
Great article, so this "Blessing" could in fact be an actual York like Dave's horn in the article was (only stenciled "Blessing").
06' Miraphone 187-4U
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

KingTuba1241X wrote:
hrender wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:19 pm York and York Master: Old vs. New
Great article, so this "Blessing" could in fact be an actual York like Dave's horn in the article was (only stenciled "Blessing").
Not sure a “Dave” has ever owned the York Master in the linked article. I know of an Oscar, a Chris, a Chuck, a Rick (your humble correspondent), and it’s current owner (who is not a Dave). (Dave Schaafsma—spelling!—owned one like it.)

But the YM is a very good tuba. 3/4” tubing, valves to die for, a nice open fourth valve that resonates easily, surely the most solid low F of any tuba I have owned. Ergonomics are...interesting, depending on one’s shape.

The one in the ad is a steal. I recall that Kanstul, working with Lee Stofer, made a replacement straight bell. One of those may still be available. Or the whole bell stack can be replaced with a bell from a Marzan. Even with that not inconsiderable extra expense, it’s a steal.

Rick “too big to be a true alternative to the Holton, though” Denney
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

KingTuba1241X wrote:What could possibly be made by B&M in Germany as York Master but stenciled E.K. Blessing for U.S. sales?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EK-BLESSING-4- ... xtU1CPzjr8
Yes, it is a B&M, but based on the fourth valve routing more like the B&M Symphonic 5500 and less like a York Master. (But more like an actual York). All had the same bugle and played the same, near as I could ever tell.

Rick “B&M stenciled a number of house brands” Denney
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Dave Schaaftma had a similar horn in silver plate, but his is/was a true Grand Rapids York stenciled as a Blessing. This EK Blessing looks to me to be a York Master. Those top valve caps are certainly not York and look YM/B&M to me. The earliest York Masters had fourth valve wraps just like this as well as their namesake Grand Rapids Yorks, but later models went with the more open fourth wrap that hung out on the back of the horn (probably easier to build that way).
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

The valve caps indeed give it away.

But a York Master had nickel-silver outer slides like a Miraphone, and the later B&M models did not.

I don’t recall a chronological aspect to the fourth valve configuration—mine was no newer than the 60’s and maybe older. I’ve seen later 5500’s with more York-like fourth branches, though the Marzan influence (which mine predated) was there also.

Rick “missing Klaus in this discussion” Denney
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

Long bottom bow, cylindrical bell tenon, bell tenon lugs, valve caps, bracing, 4th valve circuit dog-legs (yes, I can tell the difference) all say "B&M Yorkmaster".

FWIW, Dave Schaafsma's Blessing-stencil York was genuine Grand Rapids, because I bought the recording bell from him - and it has the genuine GR York tapered-style bell tenon.

But then, I've only taken 3 or so of them apart, so what do I know?
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Yorkboy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:29 pm But then, I've only taken 3 or so of them apart, so what do I know?
Amateur! :laugh:

Knowing full well that you are a much better “amateur” than I am...
(And just in case that still didn’t come across as I intended: I’m completely joking.)

I agree with Yorkboy!
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Yorkboy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:29 pm But then, I've only taken 3 or so of them apart, so what do I know?
Amateur! :laugh:

Knowing full well that you are a much better “amateur” than I am...
(And just in case that still didn’t come across as I intended: I’m completely joking.)

I agree with Yorkboy!
Dan Schultz
Band Instrument Repair
Has thanked: 0

Post by Dan Schultz »

Yup. B & M York Master very much like a Marzan except for the top main slide. Very solid horns. Well worth the money at the current price. I would bid but I know darned good and well that the price should go waaay up over the next five days.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Dan Schultz wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:26 am Yup. B & M York Master very much like a Marzan except for the top main slide. Very solid horns. Well worth the money at the current price. I would bid but I know darned good and well that the price should go waaay up over the next five days.

<sarc> ...but it's Bee-Bee-flat AND recording...a USELESS tuba...a WASTE OF GOOD BRASS !!! :huh: </sarc>

oh yeah...and 1/4000th of an inch of wear has occurred in a couple of places on a couple of the pistons. :bugeyes:
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

Solid nice playing horns - obviously patterned on the Grand Rapids York in shape and design, but there are small, subtle differences.

And, IIRC, there's plenty of cylindrical tubing in the MTS to splice a 5th valve in place.

Yorkboy "who has a very nice, new one piece upright bell that would fit perfectly on that horn"
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Yorkboy wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:57 pm Solid nice playing horns - obviously patterned on the Grand Rapids York in shape and design, but there are small, subtle differences.

And, IIRC, there's plenty of cylindrical tubing in the MTS to splice a 5th valve in place.

Yorkboy "who has a very nice, new one piece upright bell that would fit perfectly on that horn"
Back when I had my detachable bell Marzan, I really wanted a one piece bell. Would have greatly improved the top heaviness
dobiefeld
Been thanked: 0

Post by dobiefeld »

I tried ... last second autobidder beat me.
Dan Schultz
Band Instrument Repair

Post by Dan Schultz »

dobiefeld wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:38 pm I tried ... last second autobidder beat me.
Sorry. I just had to have it! Now... I have to get past my rehab so I can lift the damned thing!
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Dan Schultz wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:17 pm
dobiefeld wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:38 pm I tried ... last second autobidder beat me.
Sorry. I just had to have it! Now... I have to get past my rehab so I can lift the damned thing!
Welcome back Dan! And congrats!
Yep, I'm Mark
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

dobiefeld
Been thanked: 0

Post by dobiefeld »

Dan --- Kind of thought it might have been you .... need to use autobidder next time ... :facepalm2: