so this is happening:

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

so this is happening:

Post by bloke »

If you read a bunch of my crap that I post here, you know that I have a really large Miraphone rotary B flat, I shortened the main slide without shortening the tubes and without taking any metal off the tubes, but I really aligned them nicely - even better than Miraphone had aligned them.

Even though I'm not a fan of tuba playing stands, I'm trying one out again... at home with the stand and with the temperature around 68° ( though I'm suspecting that the stand is actually more of a factor than the temperature) nothing happens,
Being that I'm up on a riser (for this concert) my main slide is now sliding out, actually fell out once, early on, and particularly when I play as loud as hell... and for an extended period of time - such as extended time during some pops piece.

Knowing barely a little bit about physics, I don't see how I could possibly "blowing it out". Without my body absorbing vibration (using the stand) with the riser not absorbing nearly as much vibration as the floor in my house, I suspect it's being vibrated out.

Not really interested in screwing up the alignment of this slide - and also interested in continuing to be able to pull it quickly and reinsert it quickly - now I'm trying to imagine some Little device that is non-metallic and barely drags along the outside slide tube, just enough to discourage movement, but which I can defeat just by pulling on the slide... probably either held down with a spring, or screw adjusted.
----
... I hope I didn't screw up too many words or sentences.. this is a new phone, a new phone platform, and I couldn't even get it to go to this site for over a day.

bort2.0

Re: so this is happening:

Post by bort2.0 »

String?
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
jtm (Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:30 am)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

You will hate me but put in a Joy key so you don't have to dump water. Mine worked perfectly on the NStar, the only problem being I needed a drip rag.
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

Why do you need to pull it all the way out to dump? One of the things I’m enjoying about a rotor valve horn is all the water easily comes out in one place, the main slide water key. I’ve used Velcro with good success on my wiseman that had same loose mts problem
Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mary Ann wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:00 pm You will hate me but put in a Joy key so you don't have to dump water. Mine worked perfectly on the NStar, the only problem being I needed a drip rag.
I bought some packing tape at the dollar store last night and I'm using the water key.
Being huge, this tuba generates a tremendous amount of water, the water key works okay, but dumping every two or three minutes (pops concerts...constant strong playing) is tablespoonS.

I'm probably going to braze the current hole shut, redrill off to the side - so the bottom of the water key is in playing position, and drill a considerably larger hole with rounded inside edges - much like undercut woodwind tone holes - so the water rolls out really easily.

... but I still think I'm going to also install some nylon dragging device.

I'm more fascinated by how and when this is happening than the solution.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

Please feel to correct me if I'm wrong, but, most materials we apply to slides seem to change viscosity depending on the temperature. A warmer room / slide could certainly be enough to allow the slide to move with vibrations. If the slide moves very free in your house it's going to move even more freely in a warm room. My 1291 tuning slide regularly bailed out if I set it 1/4" from the end in warmer conditions (which is when I tended to need the extra slide). My Wessex had the same issue until I got the longer tuning slide. A heavier lubricant might be enough to keep it in place.
Rob. Just Rob.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

sure...all that...but it never even hinted at moving at home - and not on any warm days at home.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

It's the CIA.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
bloke (Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:40 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I tried to link a performance of "If he would need the F.B.I."...but don't know how to do it with this Android phone.
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Slide expander. I bet you've got one.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

UncleBeer wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:38 pm Slide expander. I bet you've got one.
would rather not.

It's not loose. The only problem is that it is perfect.
(Individual pairs of tubes do not rock, and are the same as oem.)
LittleJon1

Post by LittleJon1 »

UncleBeer wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:38 pm Slide expander. I bet you've got one.
I had this exact problem on a new Miraphone 289 a few years back . I asked for advice on the other forum . My mts would move while in its gig bag while laying on its side . Very weird . I ended up having the tubes expanded. There is no evidence that any repairs were ever done , except that the slide doesn’t migrate any more .
Miraphone 289 5V. Selmansberger symphony
John Packer 379b. Selmansberger solo with profundo rim
Wilhelm Klier VB702 double bass
Jon Paul Martin German bow
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I just don't like messing up stuff that isn't broken (and which is actually just a little bit too good).
It's not leaky...
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hrender

Post by hrender »

Total amateur suggestion: stickier grease? Most MTS grease is stickier than I like, but it might fix this.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

yeah...
I had a friend with a perfectly aligned courtois trombone main tuning slide which would move, and thicker grease or thinner grease didn't make any difference.. plus, this slide is very close to one of the rotors - and I don't really want to gum up any rotors.

pretty sure I'm going to use some lever style thing that looks a lot like a water key which drags on the outside slide tube - and that I'll be able to push it to release the drag and pull the slide right out. It will be convenient.😉
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

ah, a friction-adding device. Cool.
hrender

Post by hrender »

sorry, double post
Last edited by hrender on Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hrender

Post by hrender »

bloke wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:24 pm yeah...
I had a friend with a perfectly aligned courtois trombone main tuning slide which would move, and thicker grease or thinner grease didn't make any difference.. plus, this slide is very close to one of the rotors - and I don't really want to gum up any rotors.

pretty sure I'm going to use some lever style thing that looks a lot like a water key which drags on the outside slide tube - and that I'll be able to push it to release the drag and pull the slide right out. It will be convenient.😉
Yeah, silicone pad in place of the cork, that would work so long as it's kept clean.
jtm

Post by jtm »

It'll be a slide brake
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
bloke (Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:38 pm)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free