Custom Music, Inc.

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
arpthark

Custom Music, Inc.

Post by arpthark »

So, does this company still exist?

Google gives a Farmington Hills address.

Has anyone been in contact with them recently?

bort2.0

Re: Custom Music, Inc.

Post by bort2.0 »

A few years ago, I was in Farmington Hills. Many phone calls, and finally one terse answer, the guy was a jerk and also hung up on me. I called back, "sorry I thi k we were disconnected..." and then he talked normally for a few minutes.

I never got to visit or anything, and gave up on trying to find the address after being treated so lousy.

I can't imagine anything has changed significantly.

Also, their website hasn't been updated in like 15 years
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

I bought a bunch of nickel silver slide tubing from them a few years ago. It was a terrible experience, and NONE of the tubes were even remotely accurately measured. I still have all of it here, as none of it can be used with any other, nor with any of the other stuff I have bought anywhere else. It is all metric but in weird sizes. The guy on the phone was a complete "engorged phallus" to me when I asked whether the listed measurements were accurate. I was very polite and happily allowed him to waste fifteen minutes of my $ on long-distance charges while I waited for him to confirm that the two in the batch I was about to purchase that I actually *needed* were accurately measured and that they could, indeed, be used as a set of inner and outer slide tubes. He disappeared for about a quarter of an hour and he assured me that the two tubes fit properly and could be moved and that the bore of the inner tube was correct.

Not only was every tube labeled incorrectly, but the two in the set only fit together because the inner one had tape all around it.

Never again. That sullen jerk can go jump off a cliff so far as I am concerned.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

:laugh:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Which store was it that had a collection of "artistes" ?

I recall (at some ITEA shindig) some store's "artistes" (mostly - seemingly - 'fessers) going off into a closed door room and having some sort of confidential meeting.
matt g

Post by matt g »

bloke wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:54 pm Which store was it that had a collection of "artistes" ?

I recall (at some ITEA shindig) some store's "artistes" (mostly - seemingly - 'fessers) going off into a closed door room and having some sort of confidential meeting.
Sounds exciting.

I never bought anything from Custom Music, mainly because I was way too poor.

At least when VMI came along to sidestep their stranglehold on imports and was shipping through WW&BW and Brook Mays, I could get what was tantamount to a PT-7P for a 40% discount.

Just too many other shops offering better service and prices.

With Floyd Copley’s recent passing, this also reminds me of how silly that HB-50 pricing was when the Nirschl York Copy came out. I think that when the Nirschl first hit the market, it was something like $10,000 less than the Hirsbrunner. It was also completely handmade, whereas I think some of the HB bows were made hydraulically, and most people were saying the WN horn was better overall.

Interesting times.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Has anybody bought their PT mouthpieces? I know the scoop: RT and MrP and whatnot, and all the stuff that has happened, but it seems like PTs are still available (made by who-knows).

In fact, I went to the aforementioned 15-years-outdated website and saw that you could still order mouthpieces online.

I even went so far as to put one in my shopping cart and check out (wasn't gonna buy it, just wanted to see if it would let me or if it was a dead link).

Sure enough, it sent me to a legit PayPal vendor screen. I could've bought it (or at least given them money) had I wanted to go through with it.
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

I bought a PT-82 from them about 2 years ago, and it came as advertised. I've been happy with it. Mainly use it in community band to make my CC sound closer to the BBb guys.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

I remember the Tuba House. I also remember being buttonholed by FM, who, to me, came off as a used car salesman (or Herbert R. Tarlek, Jr. of WKRP) — very pushy. So I did not make a purchase.

I'm also not impressed with *real* Rolls Royces (unless we are talking about the Merlin engine). But comparing tubas to a RR car is just flat-out tacky, IMHO.

I avoided that company completely after that one experience.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

There seemed to have a regional following of high school and college boys who had been transformed into (I don’t know how else to identify them) Miraphone haters. I met a few of them at Interlochen.
‘ funny how 186s are so much easier to play in tune than most things being offered there at that time.
LOL… I sort of scratched my head about all of that until finally – when I started my intermittent studying with Gene – he talked about how he would always use a 186 to get past the first round of an audition.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
the elephant (Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:02 pm)
jonesbrass

Post by jonesbrass »

matt g wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:19 pm
I never bought anything from Custom Music, mainly because I was way too poor.
Isn’t that the truth. Not like tubas have ever been inexpensive, but holy cow.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

When i was shopping for my Cc tuba, i went there. Were talking about the place in a suburb of detroit, right? My dad and i went in, and they were like "Can i help you...( down his long pointy nose with a snear..)?" um, im shopping for a Cc tuba. Theyre over there. You can try any of them out. If you need assistance, ill be out back (where you cant find me). This was 2001. I looked at the hirbrunners, wow. Too expensive, i cant even afford to look at them. Tried the pt6s, very nice. I think they had willsons... dont remember. Anyway, i had sticker shock. I knew a good Cc tuba was going to be expensive, but they only offered new stuff and i wasnt willing to spend that much.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

There seem to be a couple of businesses that tuba players always love to hate. Even if 60% or 80% of tuba players hate this business or that business, I'm not sure that it's a really good idea to start/encourage/sidebar a thread about that.

Lots of businesses charge the most they possibly can, and a few attract customers with cut rate prices. As a well-known tuba salesman is quoted as saying, "Every tuba has someone's name on it." Some sales people are naturally grumpy, and some people are naturally cheerful. No one has to buy stuff from anyone - other than from their tyrant rulers (whether those forced tyrant purchases be useful services/products, unwanted services/products, or just BS rhetoric). Every other purchase is optional.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
arpthark (Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:54 pm) • Doc (Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:37 pm)
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Keeping in mind bloke's comments above, I had a great experience with Custom Music. Some years ago they stopped in Springfield, Mo at the regional university on the request of the music department on their way back from that year's Texas show. I got an invitation to attend. I got to play the popular tubas of the day. I almost traded my Miraphone on a B&S GR51, which was a new instrument then, but decided to go home with the lady I brought to the dance, since I was a community band player, and not a tuba major twenty years younger than I was at that time. Jeff Rideout and I discussed mouthpieces for the 38K souzy I was playing for outdoor concerts at that time, and he let me try several mouthpieces in his dealer box. He sold me the PT82 out of his dealer box, and I played that mouthpiece for as long as I had the use of the 38K. So I have had good experiences with Custom Music.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

I was 20 years younger at the time, but of course that was 20 years ago.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

arpthark wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:02 pm I was 20 years younger at the time, but of course that was 20 years ago.
You too? :smilie2:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post (total 2):
arpthark (Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:21 am) • bloke (Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:50 pm)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

the elephant wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:52 pm . . . came off as a used car salesman (or Herbert R. Tarlek, Jr. of WKRP)
. . . Bailey Quarters . . . *sigh* . . . Bailey Quarters

My Sterling Virtuoso (2nd-hand, private-party) was originally from Custom Music, and while it can take some effort to get ahold of someone, my phone interactions with them have been pleasant, informative and helpful.
Interestingly, I bought a PT-64 from WWBW but the box had a Custom Music sticker.
These users thanked the author tokuno for the post:
the elephant (Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:52 pm)
jtm

Post by jtm »

Somebody (Robert Tucci?) suggested that my Scherzer (Inh. Sander) CC tuba was likely imported by Custom Music, so I thank them for that, anyway.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

I did buy from them a long time ago when Fred still owned it. He formerly had a pawn shop and he ran custom music the same way. He had two tuba professionals at the time. They were ok to talk to and somewhat helpful. The best employee they ever had was their repair guy who they fired after 30 years of service when the new owner took over.

The prices even in the mid 90s were high I thought but back then I was not as informed on options for other venders. I would stay away from that place now as it sounds like things have not improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JRaymo for the post:
RenoDoc (Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:12 pm)