MSP TubaChristmas

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bort2.0

MSP TubaChristmas

Post by bort2.0 »

Today was TubaChristmas in St Paul.. about 100 players. First time in 3 years that I've been there, it felt noticeably less crowded this time, though.

I took the Martin Eb, and stumbled on some Eb fingerings but overall did just fine and had a good time.

I didn't see anyone I knew though! @ronr , did I just miss you? Was Brian there? Met a local jazz player who studied with Harvey, so that was fun to hear about.

My younger son, usually a little reserved, enthusiastically volunteered and played the bells during Jingle Bells.

Forgot to take a picture! :facepalm2:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post (total 3):
arpthark (Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:32 pm) • bloke (Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:40 am) • MN_TimTuba (Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:27 pm)

arpthark

Re: MSP TubaChristmas

Post by arpthark »

The Conn is waiting for its moment!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

arpthark wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:32 pm The Conn is waiting for its moment!
Well, the Martin won the vote, and what's the sense of having a vote if you don't pay attention to the results?

But seriously, the Conn just scared me that it would fall apart or something in transit or in use -- it's missing some braces. I've got all year now to get braces replaced, the 3rd valve leak fixed, and new felts to replace the who knows how old crumbling cork It'll have it's day!
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Well, I am glad you had a good time and trotted out the Martin on its centennial! And had an expert jingler to boot!
ronr

Post by ronr »

I was there but not playing, due to fighting crud all week. I was running around with a camera during rehearsal.
These users thanked the author ronr for the post (total 2):
bloke (Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:40 am) • bort2.0 (Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:12 am)
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
1960 Reynolds Contempora Sousaphone
2022 Wessex fiberglass sousaphone
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Sometimes "less crowded" is better! :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

I had my Holton Eb helicon there. I was the only helicon this year. I got sandwiched between the 12 U of Minnesota sousaphone squad. I spent the entire time trying not to play directly into the ear of the guy next to me. Not much can be done to direct the angle of a helicon bell. Was the first time back for me in a few years due to the previous covid vaccine mandate they adopted for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Sorry I missed both of you!

Re: crowded... The last one I went to was in 2019. I was playing my giant PT-7, and attempting to sit in a church pew. Not fun!

I can't remember Brian's last name or screen name... Wonder if he was there?

I didn't look too closely and most other people's instruments, but one that I did see that stuck out to me was a gleaming, spotless, silver King 2341. I'm not sure if it was overhauled or what, but it was the old kind with the detachable upright bell. Whatever the story was behind it, it looks spectacular.

There were a couple other big ish looking tubas in the middle, maybe Willson?

This is my first time playing a small tuba at one of these events. I miss playing a really big tuba at these events. The Rudy 5/4 would have been...!
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

I think his name is Brian the guy who sponsored the Oystein visit a few years ago. I also can’t remember his name but he was there in the middle. Looked like he brought his Wessex bubbie this time. I wanted to talk more to the guy with that beautiful York but didn’t get the chance. He sounded pretty amazing though. There was a guy with a 6/4 Martin or conn bell front sitting next to him.

ronr

Post by ronr »

JRaymo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:36 am I had my Holton Eb helicon there. I was the only helicon this year. I got sandwiched between the 12 U of Minnesota sousaphone squad. I spent the entire time trying not to play directly into the ear of the guy next to me. Not much can be done to direct the angle of a helicon bell. Was the first time back for me in a few years due to the previous covid vaccine mandate they adopted for a while.

I was the guy that came up and talked to you before the concert. I was sad to see that gorgeous horn stuck in sousaphone-land!
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
1960 Reynolds Contempora Sousaphone
2022 Wessex fiberglass sousaphone
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

ronr wrote:
JRaymo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:36 am I had my Holton Eb helicon there. I was the only helicon this year. I got sandwiched between the 12 U of Minnesota sousaphone squad. I spent the entire time trying not to play directly into the ear of the guy next to me. Not much can be done to direct the angle of a helicon bell. Was the first time back for me in a few years due to the previous covid vaccine mandate they adopted for a while.

I was the guy that came up and talked to you before the concert. I was sad to see that gorgeous horn stuck in sousaphone-land!
Kind of hard to find a good spot with a helicon. I still had fun. Those guys could crank out some sound!