Current, US tuba manufacturing?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Grumpikins

Current, US tuba manufacturing?

Post by Grumpikins »

Im sure this has been talked about before, but im new here and my search feature brings up everything except what i search for so.... Are there any manufacturers in the continental US making Tubas? As in starting with base materials and fabricating the entire horn. Not sourcing and importing components from elsewhere and then assembling them.

Im not anti-foreign products. Im just pro-domestic.

I would absolutely love to see a re-institution of the HNWhite factory or Holton or Conn manufacturing entirely within the US!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Current, US tuba manufacturing?

Post by bloke »

Almost full size Conn, a compact full size King, and possibly a 3/4 King.

Build quality is good enough for schools.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Don't forget all the shiny new soozafones.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:33 pm Don't forget all the shiny new soozafones.
yeah...super thin walled, with "curious" valves.

There's also a resin (doesn't seem to be fiberglass, though I may be wrong...??) one as well.
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hrender

Post by hrender »

Lee Stofer is still making his CC horns, although it's artisanal work vs. mass manufacture.

https://tubameister.com/new-instruments/

Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Grumpikins wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:29 pm
I would absolutely love to see a re-institution of the HNWhite factory or Holton or Conn manufacturing entirely within the US!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
I think Big Mouth Brass shipped the tooling to China. We’d have to get it back.

Though it may be better to start anew.

It’s hard to say if lack of innovation started the decline or if it was a result of the decline of USA instrument making.
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
LeanneDBB
Has thanked: 0

Post by LeanneDBB »

bloke wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:24 pm Almost full size Conn, a compact full size King, and possibly a 3/4 King.

Do we know that Conn is using domestic brass & all US manufactured components? I know they import components for local assembly of many of their instruments
matt g

Post by matt g »

hrender wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:24 am Lee Stofer is still making his CC horns, although it's artisanal work vs. mass manufacture.

Does Lee have the mandrels and whatnot to make the complete tuba, or did he buy up a bunch of parts when Getzen was shutting down the line?

If I was making money playing, I’d be tempted to seek one of these out.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

bloke wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:24 pm Almost full size Conn, a compact full size King, and possibly a 3/4 King.

Of course bloke is referring to the Conn 5J, the King 2341, and the King 1135 3-valve. Not sure whether they still make the 1140 (3 upright valves instead of front). All of these are Conn/Selmer group products. True, they are all aimed at the school market. But I think the King 2341 punches above its weight class. This is my only horn, and it’s all the horn I need. Keep in mind I am not a professional, and I would own a different horn if I was. But the King has a lot going for it. Almost plug and play intonation wise, gorgeous tone, and fairly easy playability. I wish there was some more nickel silver trim and also slides. Everything is literally brass everywhere, except the lead pipe is nickel silver which is cool. I bought mine before they jacked up the price this year. I got an excellent deal and it is a wonderful horn for what I paid. At todays prices, I would put a little more money in the pot and buy a Miraphone 186 instead.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

:clap:
matt g wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:23 pm
hrender wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:24 am Lee Stofer is still making his CC horns, although it's artisanal work vs. mass manufacture.

Does Lee have the mandrels and whatnot to make the complete tuba, or did he buy up a bunch of parts when Getzen was shutting down the line?

If I was making money playing, I’d be tempted to seek one of these out.
Parts
matt g

Post by matt g »

DonO. wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:11 pm

Of course bloke is referring to the Conn 5J, the King 2341, and the King 1135 3-valve. Not sure whether they still make the 1140 (3 upright valves instead of front). All of these are Conn/Selmer group products. True, they are all aimed at the school market. But I think the King 2341 punches above its weight class. This is my only horn, and it’s all the horn I need. Keep in mind I am not a professional, and I would own a different horn if I was. But the King has a lot going for it. Almost plug and play intonation wise, gorgeous tone, and fairly easy playability. I wish there was some more nickel silver trim and also slides. Everything is literally brass everywhere, except the lead pipe is nickel silver which is cool. I bought mine before they jacked up the price this year. I got an excellent deal and it is a wonderful horn for what I paid. At todays prices, I would put a little more money in the pot and buy a Miraphone 186 instead.
IMO, the difference between the King and Miraphone amount to the differences between a Ford Focus and a VW Golf. Similar with respect to pretty much all the stats, just a little different to drive.

Both the 2341 and the 186 play well in tune, respond well, and are serviceable. The Miraphone might look a little prettier due to the nickel trim and wreath.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt g

Post by matt g »

Also similar to the Ford Focus…
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
jtm

Post by jtm »

Every time there's a thread like this, I'm glad I don't have to figure out how to repeatedly find decent affordable new tubas for students. I'm happy with my tubas, but I'd be in trouble if someone told me to find 10 more of the same thing at a good price.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Of course I’m aware that the build quality of Miraphone outclasses the King! But when I bought my 2341, mine was literally half the price of a 186. I didn’t find that anything on mine needed to be “rebuilt”, other than the fact that the pistons were rough. I suppose I could have had the valves worked on, but the valves were addressed in the paperwork that came with the horn. Also they acknowledged that there may be debris from the building process in there. The company says to clean out the valve casings for a couple of weeks while the valves are being broken in. It was more than a couple of weeks, it was more like a couple of months, but the valves are silky smooth now. Other than that, I have no complaints. I know it’s no Miraphone, but it’s a nice horn for the price I paid. Of course, now that Conn/Selmer has majorly jacked up their prices, a 2341 now is 90% of the price of a 186. They are no longer the bargain they once were.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

We see it throughout the western world: the decline of manufacturing due to plain and simple short term greed.

Short term decisions to maximise this year’s profits and share price mean than companies don’t invest in better labour, don’t invest in better manufacturing equipment and don’t pay sufficient attention to quality control. We allow cheap imports from other countries, with whom we’ll never compete on labour costs, and don’t see the bigger picture of how that’s going to damage employment in our own countries.

The UK once sold brass instruments all over the world and did so for decades, now we make next to nothing and if I wanted a new Sovereign it would be made in Germany - or be a Chinese ‘knock-off’ copy. If you want a quality instrument it’ll be expensive, more so than I think it should be, and likely made in Germany where they have some better handle on investment and quality.
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

I owned a 1140 at one time. It played fine. The MSRP on the 2341, 1135 and 1140 seem too be way too high compared with Chinese offerings. The 2341 is almost $10K and the 1135/40 are over $6K. Equivalent instruments from other manufacturers are as much as 40% cheaper. "Made in USA" sells in the school situation but, in reality, they are not made in USA.
matt g

Post by matt g »

Sometimes companies during times of inflation will raise prices rather steeply for two main reasons:

1. Cover future costs without having to increment prices. Even yearly price increases are a pain to deal with.

2. There’s a bit of marketing/psychology at play when prices are on the rise and one can discount prices from list a bit more. Raise prices a good bit but also discount more when the real inquiries come in: sometimes motivates people to buy a bit more when funds might be tight.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
jonesbrass

Post by jonesbrass »

DonO. wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:44 am I didn’t find that anything on mine needed to be “rebuilt”, other than the fact that the pistons were rough. I suppose I could have had the valves worked on, but the valves were addressed in the paperwork that came with the horn. Also they acknowledged that there may be debris from the building process in there. The company says to clean out the valve casings for a couple of weeks while the valves are being broken in. It was more than a couple of weeks, it was more like a couple of months, but the valves are silky smooth now.
This has been my experience with every instrument I’ve ever owned or played. Rotary or piston, American, German, Swiss, a Chinese . . . It takes time and regular cleaning to get and keep valves in top playing condition. Doesn’t hurt to do the same to the slides, either.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303