old folks homes

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

old folks homes

Post by bloke »

My experience is that the NOT fancy ones are the ones where the people REALLY need someone to come in and sing Christmas carols, play music for them, or talk with them.

' just throwing this out there...

(I personally do about .001% of this sort of compared to what I should. It's an honor.)
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 4):
MN_TimTuba (Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:24 pm) • sc2ba (Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:15 pm) • Jperry1466 (Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:00 pm) • Doc (Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:16 pm)

Nworbekim

Re: old folks homes

Post by Nworbekim »

i haven't since COVID, but before COVID, our little brass group would take a couple evenings and play Christmas tunes at the nursing and assisted care facilities in town. i liked the assisted care facilities best. i was depressed by the nursing homes.

this year noone has said anything about it, but with the FLU raging through the area, i'd bet they wouldn't want us to play, in case we had something contagious....
Miraphone 186 - King 2341 - JP179B - York & sons 1910 Eb - Meinl Weston 2145 - Wessex Festivo - King 2280
Play it with emotion and play it strong! Don't make a face and they won't know it's wrong!
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Our community band played at a nursing home facility recently.

I don't think it went very well. It was a very small, cramped auditorium and I was playing, at most, mp the whole night (one of three tubas). Some trumpet players were not adjusting to the room. I saw some old folks covering their ears and leaving or being wheeled out. :smilie4:

The venue was more suited to chamber music; the entire band should not have been there. There was a wind quintet that played and it was the highlight of the evening.

But boy, those trumpets had to really crank it on Sleigh Ride.

So, I'm sure some residents enjoyed it but I got the sense that it was just too loud. Shame.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

well...It's a good thing to do, whether or not done sensitively or whether there are obstacles.

I played with a quintet in some very live rooms recently (small rooms in - again - not-fancy homes). We (at least I did) "puffed" (whisper-quiet playing) and my sound (to my ears) still sounded as "mezzo". Those who had completely had their faculties were extremely appreciate, those who seemed to be a bit impaired sang along, and I have to believe that those who are in really bad shape are aware of far more than they are able to show to others.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

What we did for many years was a "hit and play" Christmas carol romp. We loaded in the car (tpt, horn, euph) and using a prepared list of people at home who would appreciate it, we would set up on the front porch, ring the doorbell and start playing, just three or four carols. We usually hit about eight houses in an evening. Horn player is deceased, trumpet is recovering from four weeks of near-death covid plus pneumonia, and I think it may be another year before we can do it again. Instead I'll have to be satisfied with the Salvation Army things I'm doing with a quintet. I think nursing homes etc are still out of reach this year.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

bloke wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:38 pm well...It's a good thing to do, whether or not done sensitively or whether there are obstacles.

I played with a quintet in some very live rooms recently (small rooms in - again - not-fancy homes). We (at least I did) "puffed" (whisper-quiet playing) and my sound (to my ears) still sounded as "mezzo". Those who had completely had their faculties were extremely appreciate, those who seemed to be a bit impaired sang along, and I have to believe that those who are in really bad shape are aware of far more than they are able to show to others.
When the 1st trumpet in our quintet was on his way out and in a rehab facility, he was not able to open his eyes, but he was definitely aware, able to squeeze hands etc. The most amazing thing happened when the rest of the quintet visited him there; we were all gathered around the bed and dammit if a brass quintet didn't come on the radio. It was magical; he passed within the week.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post (total 2):
bloke (Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:33 pm) • MN_TimTuba (Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:53 pm)
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubeast

Post by Tubeast »

I know it´s winter and all...
we played for people in a Hospiz (in German, that´s a place where people with diagnosis beyond hope go to spend their last 2 weeks in dignity).
But we did so from OUTSIDE, serenading in a way...

Ideal for multiple-locations "shoot ´n´scoot" events.
Most hospitals or other facilities will have a central foyer or lobby.
Perfect place to set up and play: Residents who will join you there will be in a shape to benefit from the occasion.
The music will fill the whole building in a way suitable for those who are in real bad shape.
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

bloke wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:22 pm My experience is that the NOT fancy ones are the ones where the people REALLY need someone to come in and sing Christmas carols, play music for them, or talk with them.

' just throwing this out there...

(I personally do about .001% of this sort of compared to what I should. It's an honor.)
My wife works in an old folks home. One of the mid range to nicer ones. My brother-in-law recently sold the super upscale one he ran for many years. My uncle is in a not so nice one. As a young person, I took my tuba into one on a monthly basis and played for the residents. In my experience, it doesn't matter if it is high end, nice or not so nice, the residents are lonely. Many do not get regular visitors, even from family that lives close by. Before Covid hit, I would go to where my wife works and we would walk the halls at the end of her day and hang out for an extra hour just to talk to people. So many of them have incredible life experiences. We used to do a yearly Christmas caroling stroll through the facility. It seems every time Covid restrictions are loosened, there is a big outbreak where my wife works. There is a pretty good music program weekly. I have helped out with some of those activities. I never ask for money. The musicians that do perform make very little. It's worth it though. Usually every retirement community has some sort of activities director. Reach out to them and donate some of your time. It's worth it.
These users thanked the author Casca Grossa for the post:
bloke (Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:21 pm)
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I used to play in a few bands in Baltimore... Always played 3 or 4 retirement/nursing homes EACH during December, as well as the nearby state psychiatric hospital.

The less good band played at some of the medium/lower venues, and it was always a good time.

The better band played at the better retirement communities (partially because the conductor's 90+ year old mother was a resident there). Those were a blast, packed audience and they genuinely seemed to enjoy it. Always had one or two people come up and talk afterwards. I miss those times.

The state psychiatric hospital was always a good show, too. Obviously, a setting with an audience of people who have serious conditions and need serious care... But for the most part, they just sang along the best they could, and had a great time. It was a big deal for them. It was nice for us, too, because they served us dinner afterwards which IIRC was actually pretty good!

Regardless, it's nice to play for people who want to come and listen. If only that could include people in younger generations!
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:03 pm)
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

My parents were greatly relieved that I took up Bass/Tuba. :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Doc

Post by Doc »

I wish we had enough players around here to put together a quintet or group to do these kinds of things. Until life got really busy with kids getting older, I played polkas and waltzes 2-3 times a month at a local nursing home. They filled the rec room with all who were able to leave their rooms. I appreciated the opportunity to do that. Sadly, there is a shortage of brass musicians locally.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

The 91-year-old tuba player in our Tuba-Euphonium ensemble lives in an Independent Living (not assisted living) center. They all have their own cars; it's just apartment life with the cooking and cleaning done by staff. We play there at least 4 times a year, and they are a very enthusiastic, if not boisterous) audience, and it is always a good time. They seem to enjoy our Octoberfest and Christmas performances best (alcohol is usually provided).
These users thanked the author Jperry1466 for the post:
Doc (Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:49 pm)