TubaChristmas 2020

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
LeMark
Site Admin

Re: TubaChristmas 2020

Post by LeMark »

Nope, with the exception if you are heading to Alaska via the roads

Yep, I'm Mark
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

If one has a business there, one can obtain a visitation permit. My son-in-law has been to Toronto a couple of times within the last month and is scheduled to return in 2 weeks. Chartered flights.
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Thanks. I mean living in Minnesota, Canada is like "right up there." Quite a porous border.

I guess if you live in "the angle", you can probably still cross through too. Always thought it'd be pretty wild to live there.
KorKoro
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KorKoro »

LeMark wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:59 am Nope, with the exception if you are heading to Alaska via the roads
Tell me more. I've been there via motorcycle before and have stopped by the closed border this year. Did you mean if I had been going by road I could have gone. :bugeyes:

KorKoro
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I think you have to be able to prove you are on your way to Alaska, like have a Driver's license With an Alaska address.
Yep, I'm Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

LeMark wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:09 pm I think you have to be able to prove you are on your way to Alaska, like have a Driver's license With an Alaska address.
Or you could live in Point Roberts, Washington.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

acemorgan

Post by acemorgan »

In Southern Arizona the TC performances are always outside. Last year, the Tombstone gig was in the high 70s, and I think it hit 80 in Tucson. That sounds nice on paper, but keeping a festive stocking cap on because otherwise the sun is beating down on your head can be unpleasant. But back to the original point, yeah, we can spread out. Sunshine kills the virus, too.
Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought. -Basho

Courtois Eb
Carl Fischer Eb
Wessex Dolce
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Screw “permission”.

It’s about three months past time to just show up and do things unfunded, no one in charge, and just do them. People need to see normal people doing normal (fun/traditional) things, not being afraid, and doing what they like doing - because THEY decide to do them...and WITHOUT someone taking their friggin‘ temperature.
Schlepporello

Post by Schlepporello »

bloke wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:53 pm Screw “permission”.

It’s about three months past time to just show up and do things unfunded, no one in charge, and just do them. People need to see normal people doing normal (fun/traditional) things, not being afraid, and doing what they like doing - because THEY decide to do them...and WITHOUT someone taking their friggin‘ temperature.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TubaForum.net Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
There are three things that I can never remember.
1)...................?
OK, make that four.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Just to clarify…
My post has nothing to do with “the border”, or “Alaska”, or any of that kind of stuff.
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers:
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
Doc

Post by Doc »

:thumbsup:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Doc

Post by Doc »

bort2.0 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:31 am Thanks. I mean living in Minnesota, Canada is like "right up there." Quite a porous border.

I guess if you live in "the angle", you can probably still cross through too. Always thought it'd be pretty wild to live there.
Have you ever been there? Looks like a place I could retire. Remote, quiet, fishing, hunting, pleasant summers, nice folks, no BS.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Well, if there are any people left in downtown Minneapolis by Christmastime, I'll stand on the street corner and play for them. Next best thing -- maybe better-- to TubaChristmas!
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Doc wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:48 am
bort2.0 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:31 am Thanks. I mean living in Minnesota, Canada is like "right up there." Quite a porous border.

Have you ever been there? Looks like a place I could retire. Remote, quiet, fishing, hunting, pleasant summers, nice folks, no BS.
Ask a Northern Montanan how they feel about Canadians who cross the border to vacation in their small towns, might get a different answer. :teeth:
06' Miraphone 187-4U
Doc

Post by Doc »

KingTuba1241X wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:01 am

Ask a Northern Montanan how they feel about Canadians who cross the border to vacation in their small towns, might get a different answer. :teeth:
What about Texans who come to visit but try to blend in and not act like obnoxious tourists? :cheers:

I'm sure tourists can be a royal pain in the rear.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Texans aren't that bad. I think Montana likes ya'll. Now if you go to Colorado, you might get a different reception.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
Doc

Post by Doc »

KingTuba1241X wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:21 am Now if you go to Colorado, you might get a different reception.
True.
Colorado is just mad and jealous because part of their state used to be Texas, but it isn't any longer.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Republic of Texas Map 2.jpg
Republic of Texas Map 2.jpg (47.86 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
Republic of Texas Overlay Map.jpg
Republic of Texas Overlay Map.jpg (26.08 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I have not been there. This is my reference point:

I guess the kids could all do virtual school these days, but not sure. One problem around here last spring was that rural Minnesota has lousy high speed internet coverage. So more than just a few families were sitting in their vans in parking lots, trying to snag a signal from Starbucks, McDonalds, etc...

Seems like an excellent place to retire. But, you'd better like the snow. And remember, "summer" is short. Current temperature up there is 43 degrees. (Hey, it's only 47 degrees here in Minni...)