TubaChristmas 2020

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Doc

Re: TubaChristmas 2020

Post by Doc »

bort2.0 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:55 am
I guess the kids could all do virtual school these days, but not sure. One problem around here last spring was that rural Minnesota has lousy high speed internet coverage. So more than just a few families were sitting in their vans in parking lots, trying to snag a signal from Starbucks, McDonalds, etc...

Seems like an excellent place to retire. But, you'd better like the snow. And remember, "summer" is short. Current temperature up there is 43 degrees. (Hey, it's only 47 degrees here in Minni...)
Internet may be less of a concern when that time comes.

No issues with snow. Not fun to shovel, but I can afford a blower (or a neighbor kid). People make it through winters just fine up north, so I figure I can also. I'm sure there's a learning curve, but I'm willing to study.

Current temp 43 degrees? OUTSTANDING! Add 50+ degrees to it with staggering humidity, and you have my area.

There are, however, many benefits to my area: No bears, no moose, no elk, no blizzards, there is great culture, Texans are quite conservative and old-fashioned (generally, not just politically), people still have manners, the attitude is bold and no-nonsense, independence and self-reliance are virtues, great food and great music can be found all over the place, many people still show respect to others even if they have different views, there is significantly more uninhibited exercise of personal freedoms compared to many other places, and NO STATE INCOME TAX. No wonder people come here in droves.

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

The board of the HPF is weighing options for TubaChristmas.
Check the tubachristmas.com website for updates.
The artist formerly known as Snorlax.
Shires Q41 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 Baritone, Conn 50H trombone.
Shawn
Has thanked: 0

Post by Shawn »

Why do they call it Tourist Season when we're not allowed to shoot them?
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

If it is that you are planning to travel to Alaska, please make sure that you choose the fastest way to get there. American tourists who decided to "stop over" in Banff were reported to the RCMP and now face a $750,000 fine as they overstayed their welcome in this resort town. Of course, the window police snitched on them and this has happened in other locations in the country as well. If this is all people have to do with their time, then perhaps they should take up an instrument as long as it is not the tuba! :tuba:
To Doc regarding your comments about Canada, "Thank You"! and one small correction, We have BS here by the truck load!. :facepalm2:
Last edited by Schlepporello on Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Just helping Prairieboy out.
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Furguson11

Post by Furguson11 »

Outside maybe informally small group, even in St. Paul. It would be fun to line everyone around Rice Park.

Lexon mouthpiece is at the ready.
Furguson11

Post by Furguson11 »

LeMark wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:59 am Nope, with the exception if you are heading to Alaska via the roads
My son worked the past few summers in Skagway, AK. It would only work to drive now if you didn't have to cross the Canadian Border. Last week Grand Portage was as far as I could drive in MN. They are boating peopleand supplies to their cabins in the Northwest Angle because they can't get across the border.
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

Thank you to Schlepporello for your help!
:thumbsup:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Schlepporello

Post by Schlepporello »

prairieboy1 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:04 pm Thank you to Schlepporello for your help!
:thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :teeth:
TubaForum.net Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
There are three things that I can never remember.
1)...................?
OK, make that four.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Furguson11 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:06 pm Outside maybe informally small group, even in St. Paul. It would be fun to line everyone around Rice Park.

Lexon mouthpiece is at the ready.
That would be cool! I've always thought downtown St Paul was very pretty in winter.

Originally I had been thinking of playing on Nicollet Mall, but the last few weeks of "unrest", as we say these days, has put that idea to rest. Or, maybe I'll just find a place in my new neighborhood to play on the corner. There's a small "town" area with shops and stuff. I have lived there through a Christmas yet, but I can imagine that it is quite charming. And will only get better with tuba.

Or, go to the German or Swedish Institute Christmas markets and play some traditional German or Swedish carols. I'm drawing a blank now, but I seem to recall some absolutely beautiful Swedish Christmas carols. Hrmm... Or maybe it was the carolers themselves who were Swedish and beautiful? Because that too. Or, maybe the glogg plus music plus carolers... :teeth:
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Special note to Minnesota Tuba players - the Tuba Christmas in Brainerd is a GO! Sunday, Dec. 13th, 1:30 rehearsal at CLC, performance at 3 pm in the Brainerd Mall. Brainerd is roughly 2 hrs N of the north side suburbs, good places to grab a bite together before we all head home.
I hope to see some of you there!
Tim
Last edited by MN_TimTuba on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

Appears Tuba Christmas Ventura, CA is a go. December 6th at 12:00 noon. Location is Pacific View Mall, Community Plaza. Strangely it says NO registration or rehearsal. Maybe that will update later. Participation fee is still $10.00. The last two I played at this location, participation was under 40 horns.
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
opus37
Been thanked: 0

Post by opus37 »

MN_TimTuba wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:44 pm Special note to Minnesota Tuba players - the Tuba Christmas in Brainerd is a GO! Sunday, Dec. 13th, 1:30 rehearsal at CLC, performance at 3 pm in the Brainerd Mall. Brainerd is roughly 2 hrs N of the north side suburbs, good places to grab a bite together before we all head home.
Tim
I hope the covid issues are reduced by then. It has been a long period of time since any of my usual gigs have been scheduled.
Brian
Woodbury, MN

1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
gnimoyw

Post by gnimoyw »

opus37 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:09 am
MN_TimTuba wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:44 pm Special note to Minnesota Tuba players - the Tuba Christmas in Brainerd is a GO! Sunday, Dec. 13th, 1:30 rehearsal at CLC, performance at 3 pm in the Brainerd Mall. Brainerd is roughly 2 hrs N of the north side suburbs, good places to grab a bite together before we all head home.
Tim
I hope the covid issues are reduced by then. It has been a long period of time since any of my usual gigs have been scheduled.

So true. One of the groups I play with is trying to organize outdoor rehearsals in a parking garage (I can only imagine the echo factor). Seems like not a great idea but if they build it, I would go to it. :smilie7:
B&S GR-51 BBb
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

The events I have gone to in Frederick, MD or Newport News, VA will probably be canceled, just like the Fall semester for my community band. :facepalm2:

But I’ve got player interest for a Christmas Quintet and I’m looking for a rehearsal venue!! :thumbsup:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

As I mentioned above, in the midst of all the OT of trips to Alaska :smilie8: ,
nothing is firmly universally out at this time unless a local coordinator has
so decreed.
Please check the TubaChristmas website for updates about your event of choice.
Jim
The artist formerly known as Snorlax.
Shires Q41 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 Baritone, Conn 50H trombone.
tofu

Post by tofu »

:smilie7:
Last edited by tofu on Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

I know one thing. I can not abide any more virtual crap.

:gaah:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Three Valves wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:52 am I know one thing. I can not abide any more virtual crap.

:gaah:
You too? It was a nice effort but totally fails in so many ways. Technically challenging and amazing but artistically unsatisfying.
Steve
Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (Trombone/Board)
Doc

Post by Doc »

I see a very small number of TubaChristmas events that seem to be going forward. Most are canceled, and there are a bunch that they didn't bother even listing. SUCKS!

In Texas, TC in Austin seems to be going on, but I am NOT hanging out in that $#!+^0l&. Brenham is one of my favorites, but it's canceled, despite being outdoors at a Christmas parade and downtown stroll that is still taking place. GRRR!!!

Any more talk of folks getting together on their own to do small stuff? Aside from a handful of seemingly uninterested students, I don't think there are enough tuba and euph folk in my county to cover all the parts. :smilie6:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Yadent wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:08 pm Appears Tuba Christmas Ventura, CA is a go. December 6th at 12:00 noon. Location is Pacific View Mall, Community Plaza. Strangely it says NO registration or rehearsal. Maybe that will update later. Participation fee is still $10.00. The last two I played at this location, participation was under 40 horns.
I was in contact with the coordinator, it is his own group of friends and no outsiders or school people allowed this year. Don't waste your time showing up. :eyes:
06' Miraphone 187-4U