Short play test of Eastman and Jupiter BBb/CC tubas

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
rodgeman

Short play test of Eastman and Jupiter BBb/CC tubas

Post by rodgeman »

A few days ago I took a trip to Milano's Music in Mesa, AZ. My Cerveny 601 BBb tuba needs some dent work and my rotors were sluggish. While I was there I played three tubas tubas - two Eastman and one Jupiter tuba piston valve tubas. They did not have the rotor versions in stock. The sales people were very helpful and accommodating. Thanks to them.

The Eastman Tubas

First was a EBB534 BB-Flat tuba (four piston). Easy to hold and play. Lighter than the King version. Good tone and did not take too much air. Pretty good intonation. Would consider buying if I was in the market.

The second was a EBC836 CC Tuba (four piston and one rotor). I do not play CC. I was able to use the rotor to put it in Bb ish. Also played well, was not very heavy, and nice ergonomics.

Both of these felt solid and not cheaply made.

The Jupiter

It was a JTU1110 BBb Tuba (four piston). This has a very heavy bottom bow. Surprisingly heavy. Played well but the Eastmans just played better for me. Well made but a tank. Felt almost as heavy as the Conn 20J I played years ago.

The mouthpiece I used was a Conn Helleberg 120. It was a short test on each but gave me a good idea as to how each played.

Milano's will have these and others at ITEC as it is in Tempe, AZ this year. I will probably go to try the rotor versions if they have them.

Thanks for reading and hope this short test gave an insight into these instruments.

Link to the website https://milanomusic.com/brass/tuba/

Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
Three Valves

Re: Short play test of Eastman and Jupiter BBb/CC tubas

Post by Three Valves »

The Eastman 534 King knock off is a good, do it all tuba.

The Jupiter 1110 is obvious (to me) built for the rigors of public school.

I found it easy playing, but yes, a beast to hold.

In this cage match, Eastman wins! :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I didn't realize there was that kind of music store in the Phx area. (Tucson here, just a couple hours to drive there on a day that is NOT HOT.)

I played that Eastman CC model a couple weeks ago here; too big for me to haul around but not difficult to play.

Is that store capable of doing things like venting valves and moving a leadpipe? The local guy who was going to do that for me hurt his back and isn't doing any heavy instruments for a while.
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

Mary Ann wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:14 am I didn't realize there was that kind of music store in the Phx area. (Tucson here, just a couple hours to drive there on a day that is NOT HOT.)

I played that Eastman CC model a couple weeks ago here; too big for me to haul around but not difficult to play.

Is that store capable of doing things like venting valves and moving a leadpipe? The local guy who was going to do that for me hurt his back and isn't doing any heavy instruments for a while.
I think they might. The bottom bow of my horn is being removed to dedent along with my leadpipe. Give them a call and ask for brass repair.
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Let me know how that turns out. Locally I've had some disastrous results with music stores.
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

rodgeman wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:26 pm While I was there I played three tubas tubas -
That's six. Wouldn't three be 1 one-ba and 1 two-ba?
*snork*
Seriously, thanks for the writeup. My son-in-law has a meager budget and no tuba . . . I've heard good things of the Eastmans and will forward this along to him.
These users thanked the author tokuno for the post:
rodgeman (Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:44 pm)
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

Mary Ann wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:14 pm Let me know how that turns out. Locally I've had some disastrous results with music stores.
I just got the tuba back and they did really nice work. The dents have been removed and the valve actions is good. They even removed the little fin from the bow so it sits better. It came in at cost and on time. Very happy with the work. People were really nice and proud of their work. The had me go through it,
These users thanked the author rodgeman for the post:
Three Valves (Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:37 pm)
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

What I want is rotary valves vented. It doesn't appear that they do that. I'm glad it turned out well for you. It's quite a drive for me to go and back in one day, anyway.