Opinions on Kanstul 3/4 Bb 3 front valves

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
DonO.

Opinions on Kanstul 3/4 Bb 3 front valves

Post by DonO. »

Has anyone ever played one of these? Construction quality? Intonation issues? Tone? I was thinking about one of these as a secondary horn to my King 2341 when I want something smaller and easier to handle for things like TubaChristmas and such, plus any Jazz/Dixieland/German gigs that might come my way (wishful thinking!) :popcorn:

King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Opinions on Kanstul 3/4 Bb 3 front valves

Post by bloke »

Probably the lightest thing to carry around with the most sound and excellent intonation - darn similar to what you are to that what you are accustomed - is a previous generation King fiberglass sousaphone...the one that only has two brass nuts connecting the valve section to the body, and a pebble finish. Those are extraordinarily lightweight and well made. If the aluminum connectors on the body fail, just epoxy them back and touch up with white paint.

Based on only their appearance and how much they now weigh, I'm doubtful (??) that any "fiberglass" sousaphones made now are actually made of fiberglass. They all seem to be made of some sort of resin (??), which weighs at least as much as sheet brass.
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Bump. Somebody on this forum must have experience with Kanstul horns. If not this particular model then observations about Kanstul in general would be welcome. Thank you.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
donn

Post by donn »

Well the 66-S isn't a 3/4 BBb, but it does have front valves. It's a fine tuba, they knew what they were doing. The things I can think of against it, that might apply to yours, are that the valve tubing design has some elbows that can hold water (I had the same trouble with the 1st valve on my King, by the way, maybe I just hold a tuba at the wrong angle), and the valve caps are light and don't thread on easily.

I assume you have a line on a used one. Despite appearances, Kanstul has been gone for years.
These users thanked the author donn for the post:
DonO. (Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:02 am)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

I have never seen one in real life. :smilie5:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Three Valves wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:49 pm I have never seen one in real life. :smilie5:
Fellow east-coaster; me either.

I take that back: I have seen one Kanstul marching euphonium.

I think I played the little 3/4 F for five minutes at an Army Conference elephant room a decade ago, but that hardly counts.
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

DonO. wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:38 am Bump. Somebody on this forum must have experience with Kanstul horns. If not this particular model then observations about Kanstul in general would be welcome. Thank you.
I've only played Kanstul trombones. To me their ideas always looked better in ads than they did in real life. I've owned a bass trombone, which seems really successful as a bass trombone, but can't venture too much into the world of other trombones, which is to say it plays nice low, but no where else. Plus, the slide and valves are tempermental.

I also owned a smaller bore Kanstul trombone which was the brightest, scariest sounding instrument I've ever played.

But then they also made stuff I really wanted to love, like the very odd 8h copy with TIS. Never played it, but based on my experience with other Kanstuls, I wouldn't take a chance on it without test playing it.
These users thanked the author bone-a-phone for the post:
DonO. (Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:03 am)
matt g

Post by matt g »

Back in the mid 1990s, I was touring around with Fred Powell (for the short period of time he worked at Kanstul) and a local shop owner promoting the, then new, marching brass including the convertible BBb tubas they were making.

For a convertible tuba, they played way better than the other stuff I’d run up against in the past. Plus the horns were generally well made and the valves were well built.

It’s been noted around here that the Kanstul valve tubing layout for front action (wherein they were recycling top action sets) valves is less than ideal for both drainage and slide orientation.

I’d imagine that the instrument is built well and the mechanics are okay, but other than that, I don’t know. Probably okay?

The go-to in that realm is the YBB-103.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tofu for the post:
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

I have already informed the seller that although it looks like a very nice horn, I don’t think it is exactly what I’m looking for. Someone else here might like it though, so I will disclose that it’s on Reverb, located in Ohio, and he only is asking $1200, which seems quite reasonable. He is advertising that it’s in mint condition, includes a wood shell case, and he’s willing to ship. It was pointed out that the Yamaha 103 is the go to in this area, and it seems to have that vibe. So feel free to check it out. One of my big problems is that in my little place, it’s hard to find space for the one horn I already have, let alone multiples!
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
matt g

Post by matt g »

https://reverb.com/item/64340047-kanstu ... -2010-2015

There is the link regarding the tuba in question above.

Something about this horn makes me think that it was possibly inspired by something made by UMI or Olds/Reynolds once upon a time. Or something like a cross between a Conn 5J and a King 1135.

Regardless, that's a solid price on a tuba for a beginner or someone wanting a 3/4 3v BBb. Fantastic condition.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
donn

Post by donn »

Good work with the pictures, too. An Olds/Reynolds connection is a fact - Zig Kanstul was with both companies if I remember the story right.
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

donn wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:13 am Good work with the pictures, too. An Olds/Reynolds connection is a fact - Zig Kanstul was with both companies if I remember the story right.
Yes, he was.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
TriStateFans

Post by TriStateFans »

matt g wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:34 am https://reverb.com/item/64340047-kanstu ... -2010-2015

There is the link regarding the tuba in question above.

Something about this horn makes me think that it was possibly inspired by something made by UMI or Olds/Reynolds once upon a time. Or something like a cross between a Conn 5J and a King 1135.

Regardless, that's a solid price on a tuba for a beginner or someone wanting a 3/4 3v BBb. Fantastic condition.
I was just looking at this horn today on Reverb. I'm in the market, and I had popped this one on the watch list. I'm in no rush so I'm kind of watching and seeing how things go. I'm returning to playing after a 25-year hiatus (still doing music, just not brass) and am looking for a similar horn as the original poster is.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

matt g wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:34 am
A $1,400 (shipped) risk I'd be willing to take if I needed one. :thumbsup:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Ok,I know I said I I wasn’t interested anymore, but I changed my mind. I made an appointment to look at it and play it today (Sun.) The guy lives about an hour and 15 minutes away. I looked at it, played it, and liked it. The horn wasn’t quite as “mint” as he said in the ad. It had some lacquer discoloration on the bell and one tiny ding in the bugle on the back. I pointed out that I would have been happy to pay the asking price for a truly mint horn, and that Reverb sets a pretty high bar for what can be advertised as “mint”. So we dickered and I offered $1000 (200 off asking price). He agreed and the deal was done.

I think it’s a very nice small tuba for what I paid. This will be my spare horn, my TubaChristmas horn, and so forth. Here are my initial impressions of my new Kanstul:

BIG sound for such a little horn! Definitely punches above its weight class. Intonates as well as a three valve can with minimal slide pulling. The thing is built like a brick house! Everything just feels “beefy”. Impressively heavy bracing. Although this is a concert only tuba, the design leads me to believe it is the same as the marching convertible they used to make only without the marching leadpipe. Why do I think that? Leadpipe is removable, valve section is removable, engraving is to the side of the bell instead of the front (would be oriented center top in marching configuration). Valves are silky smooth. They appear to be Monel with valve-top plastic guides that look akin to Yamahas. The valve casings appear to have sleeves instead of the actual casing surface showing. Looks factory to me and works well.

Don’t like the old fashioned wood shell case at all. So heavy. Will be in the market for a gig bag to keep this in.

I like it for now. I hope I continue to like it! I think I did ok for $1000! :tuba:
These users thanked the author DonO. for the post:
Three Valves (Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:05 am)
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
matt g

Post by matt g »

Congrats, @DonO.!
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
DonO. (Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:35 am)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
TriStateFans

Post by TriStateFans »

Good news! I hope you have many years of enjoying it!
These users thanked the author TriStateFans for the post:
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Three Valves wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:49 pm I have never seen one in real life. :smilie5:
I did my undergrad euphonium degree on a Kanstul 975 compensating euph. Nice horn. Replaced that with my Sterling Virtuoso last year, but apparently when you get rid of one Kanstul, multiple appear in its place. Currently I find myself with a Kanstul meehaphone, G alto bugle, and G baritone bugle. Waiting for that elusive affordable used Kanstul contrabass trombone...

Anyway, I'm sure that tuba is a great instrument. Nice work!
These users thanked the author Finetales for the post:
I mostly play the slidey thing.
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Finetales wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:51 pm
I did my undergrad euphonium degree on a Kanstul 975 compensating euph. Nice horn. Replaced that with my Sterling Virtuoso last year, but apparently when you get rid of one Kanstul, multiple appear in its place. Currently I find myself with a Kanstul meehaphone, G alto bugle, and G baritone bugle. Waiting for that elusive affordable used Kanstul contrabass trombone...

Anyway, I'm sure that tuba is a great instrument. Nice work!
I had no idea what a “meehaphone” was so I had to Google it. Very interesting! I was involved with drum and bugle corps but left it completely behind in 1974. It seems like after I left the development of new horn designs was fast and furious. I played a G-F contra with a horizontal right hand piston and a left hand rotor, so I was unaware of all the changes since then. I wonder, since Kanstul was based in California, if maybe their instruments are somewhat easier to find on the west coast? Anyways, thanks for the encouraging words.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B