Roger Bobo in Urgent Care

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Mary Ann

Re: Roger Bobo in Urgent Care

Post by Mary Ann »

I have to agree about verification. Facebook identities can be stolen, copied, etc. I think it's unlikely, in this particular case, but you never know. Maybe ask the FB poster to verify in a way that would be meaningful, if that is important to you. I was personally snagged by the misspelling of "severe" as "sever." A bit of a red flag that might shoulda be investigated.

Lots of exceedingly talented and accomplished people do not have a lot of money, if their accomplishments are not in arenas that make a lot of money (e.g., sports.)

pjv

Post by pjv »

the elephant wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:25 pm Which type O blood does he have: O+ or O-? These two are the MOST COMMON blood types for humans. How can a blood bank be OUT of the single most common blood group on the planet?

I am not casting aspersions. I am curious. I hope that he is okay and that this is a scam, but I am guessing that it is real and he needs help for whatever reason, but Melody only did a so-so job of sharing information.
O- as in O negative.
I also read it first as O, hyphen, Blood.

Personally I don't think this is a scam, but that's my take.
hrender

Post by hrender »

Mary Ann wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:35 pm Lots of exceedingly talented and accomplished people do not have a lot of money, if their accomplishments are not in arenas that make a lot of money (e.g., sports.)
This.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

hrender wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:36 pm
Mary Ann wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:35 pm Lots of exceedingly talented and accomplished people do not have a lot of money, if their accomplishments are not in arenas that make a lot of money (e.g., sports.)
This.
Over the last few hundred years, quite a few(now-/still-) famous musicians, composers, artists, etc... were very poor late in their lives. While some had plenty of money and squandered it, others were always struggling to get by, and did not live the lives we may want to imagine, given their household-name status. This idea of "famous = rich" or "professional musician = comfortable living" is not reality.

Above and beyond everything else, I wish Roger a full recovery and the best possible care he can get.
Bessonguy

Post by Bessonguy »

I was fortunate enough to see Mr. Bobo hold a masterclass this past December 10....in TAIPEI TAIWAN! He was still travelling the world teaching that recently! I think he did two classes in Taiwan, but I couldn't figure out what else he was up to on this side of the world. 

His voice was clear and strong. It was quite pleasant to listen to as well...I didn't know that about him. His wit was enjoyable, even if few in the crowd could catch his meaning.  He did a great job relating to the young (college/HS) students and getting them to calm down. His passion for teaching was quite evident from what I witnessed. The kids/young adults loved him and he signed more than a couple gig bags. I, for some unknown reason, had expectations for him to be "blunt", as Bloke described, perhaps with a large ego. He did not come across that way at all. He was very complimentary and encouraging and mixed the corrections with plenty of praise. Did I personally learn much from the class... not really. But maybe if I were one of the players I might have. I had a great time at this event.

A couple pieces of wisdom from the Maestro...
"All music is one of two types: love songs or pirate songs.""There are two kinds of breaths, like drinking  beer or like drinking whiskey."

Physically, I couldn't believe he made it through the flights and airport. He needed two people to help him on stage and also to transition from a chair mid-stage to a piano bench. He was sitting in a wheelchair otherwise. 

I'd be more inclined to purchase his albums, assuming he gets royalties. (yeah....that $ won't show up for months or ever) Any suggestions as to his best CDs? 

I'll try to post a photo later when the wife isn't waiting for me.

Don "long time listener, first time caller"
These users thanked the author Bessonguy for the post:
jtm (Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:50 pm)
tofu

Post by tofu »

First - this is very sad. I wish Roger the best and hope he makes it and recovers. He was and still is not just a "tuba player", but an extraordinary musician on the level of Heifetz and an exceptional teacher to me.

As far as his financial situation it's not our business. It happens. Things happen. Life happens. I'm a managing partner of a hedge fund so my passion is and has always been money - you could say it's a blood sport to me. Most people really have no clue about even basic money management and when you are young it's easy to not think about retirement or your later years or that life can have big bumps in the road for even young adults. When you're young there are kids and they are not cheap and there are all the things that go towards supporting those kids and just living - such as homes. Sometimes one has to support parents or other relatives. Sometimes an illness can require a lot of out of pocket costs. That can make money disappear fast - really fast.

One thing though to take away from Roger's situation is never assume your health insurance is good in other countries. This same situation happen to one of my friends a decade ago when his wife got ill overseas. They got handed an incredible bill because their insurer would not cover them in that country. It was something that honestly had never occurred to me that when traveling would my medical insurance cover a problem and what will it and will it not cover. It's the kind of thing (especially when one is fairly young) you never think you'll get seriously ill or have an accident - but it happens.

And that really opened my eyes to really examine our health plans and to keep a keen eye on any changes. And that is hard - I had never paid attention previously to annual changes in the plans - but now I do - and it's staggering on an annual basis. Insurance companies get away with it because they send you volumes of stuff to wade through - it will make even somebody who knows what they are looking at eyes glaze over. And it's worse now since they send it via online - you'd think that would be better but the truth is folks are even less likely to seek it out and read it because the insurance company made it a push event (where they send it and you at a minimum see it when you get your mail) into a pull event where you have to seek it out and review the material. Few people will do that unless they know there is something specifically they need to see. My brother-in-law fortunately was a senior executive VP at Blue Cross and on the board of directors so he is a great help even though now he's part of a really interesting medical start up out of San Francisco. But most people have to wade through this stuff on their own and that can be daunting.

So at the very least before you travel out of the country find out exactly what your insurer will cover.
I'm always struck by the people who move to the cheap countries to retire. You have none of the protections of the US. Most of the natives will automatically not like you. Most of your family is back in the states so more or less you're on your own. How much help you'll get from the ex-pat community is debatable. Especially in the event of insurrections - you're on your own - & it seems like help from the US Embassy in many of these countries is not much these days.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

One of my wife's aunt's was on a river cruise in China a few years ago. She took a bad step on the boat and blew out her knee.

They took her to a hospital in the next (small) port city, and they told her it needed surgery promptly, and they could do it. Besides the outrageous cost associated with it, it would have been a death-by-infection wish to have any surgery done there. Hell no. So, she got whatever pain meds she could from them, and then paid big $ for the 2-day flight home on short notice, via Australia home to California (because if it really started to go wrong Australia would have still been crazy expensive, but at least it would be quality first-world care. She ended up having a miserable few days, but got home okay, had the operation done successfully at some hospital in the bay area, rehabbed, and back to normal. And ain't going on any Chinese river cruises anymore.
graybach

Post by graybach »

Update
I copied and pasted because the picture file was too large to attach:

$16,623 of $22,000 goal raised; 222 donors

Jan.11.23 update
Thank you for your support. Roger remains in Urgent Care in a Hosptial in Oaxaca with moments of lucidity. His punctured Lung due to a Broken rib perferation Is showing signs of healing. He will remain in Hospital and will Likely need hospital care for some weeks.
These users thanked the author graybach for the post:
bloke (Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:11 am)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Sounds like good news, or at least encouraging.

If anyone in the world had strong lungs, it should be him. I'm hoping that gives him an easier time with recovery.

PS, I absolutely love that he named his daughter "Melody."
graybach

Post by graybach »

Maestro Roger Bobo - Emergency Hospital Care

$18,003 raised of $22,000 goal • 238 donors

January 14, 2023
by Melody Bobo, Organizer
Hi Community,

Thank you for the support for Roger.
He has stabilized, but remains incredibly frail, unable to move very much especially his left side which was impacted by the stroke 13 months ago. He continues to undergo tests to establish internal bleeding.
While he has stabilized he is still in an incredibly difficult and sad situation financially. With limited resources he continues to need the support of the brass community to support him for the next month through recovery. Ligia is an angel and earns everyone’s praise and gratitude for the work she has done and the time she has dedicated to Roger.
If you are able to support or share to expand reach of Roger’s need thank you so much.
Take care of your self & plan for your future!!!
Melody

January 12, 2023
Hi Community,
Thank you for your continued support.
Roger is now going through extensive types of testing to identify internal bleeding.
The positive is TypeO blood has been found and he’s having a blood transfusion to mitigate the internal bleeding until they can find out where it is and how to fix it.
I was able to speak to him briefly today via Ligia for a minute or so. He has more moments of lucidity but talking is still a struggle.
Ligia and I share your notes and support with him, and he gives a smile hearing familiar names from around the globe.
Thank you again for your support and continuing to help expand reach of Roger’s moment of need across the incredibly supporting Brass Community.
Melody

January 11, 2023
Hi Community,
Thank you for your continued support.
Today Roger was moved to a public hospital, the hope is he can stay longer for care with the funds available.
Roger remains in critical condition.
He’s had a Type O blood transfusion, but needs more, which is challenging and Type O is not in abundant supply in Oaxaca, the search continues for the right blood for Maestro.
I spoke to Roger for a few seconds yesterday via the wonderful Ligia’s phone, he recognized me but was not able to speak.
We’re taking all things day by day.
Any support including expanding the reach of our fundraiser is so appreciated, thank you.
Cheers,
Melody
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

It has been stated that O blood is common, but it is also sought after heavily, because (particularly O negative) can be transfused universally.
pjv

Post by pjv »

Yes it's usable for everyone. Unfortunately those that are 0- themselves can only receive 0-.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Any updates?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Knowing what's wrong, I'm thinking that only good news - for a good while - will be no news.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:12 pm Knowing what's wrong, I'm thinking that only good news - for a good while - will be no news.
That was my first thought as well. About 30 years ago, my grandfather had a stroke, and he was in rough shape for the next few years until he passed. And in general, if there was no news, it was really pretty good news
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
bloke (Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:58 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

He had a stroke? That is tough; some can be recovered from, and some cannot. That is when you are either happy you kept your long term care insurance, or unhappy that you didn't. And if it's a bad stroke, you lose your ability to control what happens to you too.
And just as general commentary, phooey that sucks.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

no
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Mary Ann wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:56 pm He had a stroke? That is tough; some can be recovered from, and some cannot. That is when you are either happy you kept your long term care insurance, or unhappy that you didn't. And if it's a bad stroke, you lose your ability to control what happens to you too.
And just as general commentary, phooey that sucks.
The GFM said he has a stroke last year
GFM says... wrote:January 14, 2023
Hi Community,

Thank you for the support for Roger.
He has stabilized, but remains incredibly frail, unable to move very much especially his left side which was impacted by the stroke 13 months ago.
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
Mary Ann (Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:15 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Thanks for the correction.
Obviously it was contributory, but my understanding is that he's in due to a very bad injury from a fall.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
bort2.0 (Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:35 am)
Snake Charmer
Has thanked: 0

Post by Snake Charmer »

He had a stroke in autumn 2021, and remembering how hard it was for him to move around in the years before it was more than stunning to hear about him teaching in Taiwan!
Coming back he fell and broke a rib, which punctured his lung.
So far we only can wish him a good recovery!
:tuba: ...with a song in my heart!