Wessex 6/4 Eb

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Yadent

Wessex 6/4 Eb

Post by Yadent »

Before my being bum rushed off the ‘other’ site, Jonathan at Wessex mentioned and showed prototype pics of an 6/4 Eb tuba. Anyone have any idea how that project is moving along?

Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
LeMark
Site Admin

Re: Wessex 6/4 Eb

Post by LeMark »

I was hoping to play it at TMEA in february, but that's not going to happen.

I'm looking forward to trying it. I know they had an opportunity to copy Carl's incredible Eb he built himself, and they chose to use a different design. If it's better than Carl's (one of the best tubas I've even played) then it will be amazing indeed
Yep, I'm Mark
Doc

Post by Doc »

LeMark wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:19 am I was hoping to play it at TMEA in february, but that's not going to happen.

I'm looking forward to trying it. I know they had an opportunity to copy Carl's incredible Eb he built himself, and they chose to use a different design. If it's better than Carl's (one of the best tubas I've even played) then it will be amazing indeed
I hope that is the case. Maybe @Wyvern can offer some information?
And while we're at it, what happened to the Oregon BBb?
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

That's a great question. I was really excited about that design, with the large bell pancake, if for no other reason it should have been super secure when you put in on the bell (let's be honest, I think horns are LESS likely to be damaged if they are put on their bell and leaned up against a chair or wall, instead of being laid down on the floor)

I played one in 2019, I think at TMEA, and I liked the way it felt, but I thought the Bb octaves didn't match in tune. Maybe that was a prototype and they are still tweaking it?
Yep, I'm Mark
Doc

Post by Doc »

I thought they were up, running, and for sale, but it's not listed on the website anymore.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Shawn
Has thanked: 0

Post by Shawn »

E-mails I got from them suggest that the virus delayed a few new projects.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

RE: the Oregon
Jonathan shared with me in a private email message that he's pulled the Oregon from production, as he was dissatisfied with some issues. He did not indicate if it was a temporary or permanent pull.
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I wonder if intonation was one of the issues? When I mentioned that to Chuck, he seemed more than a little annoyed with me.

Sorry Chuck, if I didn't say it, someone else would.
Yep, I'm Mark
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

LeMark wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:58 am I wonder if intonation was one of the issues? When I mentioned that to Chuck, he seemed more than a little annoyed with me.

Sorry Chuck, if I didn't say it, someone else would.
Jonathan called it 'a production/playing problem' and said they were looking at a re-design.
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Which one was the Oregon? The 6/4, BBb 3+1?
Doc

Post by Doc »

bort2.0 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:10 am Which one was the Oregon? The 6/4, BBb 3+1?
Oregon is the 3/4 4v BBb front action w/ 19" bell
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Brett,
NO, was billed as a 3/4, but looked about the size of a King 2341, with larger bore (.700 if I remember), and same 20" or so bell. 4 valves front.
I never got to play one, but to me the valve block looked way too high, like your fingers would be as high as your face. Also, to me, on a school horn the 20" bell is more likely to be bent/damaged carrying the horn thru doorways, down hallways, etc., and a 16" bell or so would've more fit the 3/4 billing as well, though yes, being tippier.
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

Wessex also has redesigned the 5th valve on the Wyvern. Looks much nicer now - the new photos they have look great.
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
Wyvern
Wessex tubas
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Wyvern »

Just got back to this forum. Sorry I have not been on here or ‘that other forum’ very often of recent.

Firstly the good news. The prototype 6/4 Eb has been manufactured and I can’t wait to try. Once I have firm news I will post accordingly. I am hoping to get to the factory December or January (if I can get visa to China), and if so might be able to get the project moving on then.

For the Oregon 3/4 BBb, we were just not happy how that turned out. A few were manufactured and sold, but I have made the decision to pull from production until we can redesign and improve. It was just not up to the standard I want for a Wessex tuba. Obviously when that redesign will take place largely depends on when we are in a situation to get back to regular China visits - not just me, but Chuck as well.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Sounds good @Wyvern!!

Sorry we wont see each other in DC or at TMEA this year, it's been an annual tradition for quite a while

I think a 6/4 EEb has the potential to be a game changer. I remember being really excited to play the Kanstul tuba, but in the end, it just wasn't a great horn. I don't have a need for another tuba right now, but I would be VERY tempted by a great playing huge Eb
Yep, I'm Mark
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

Very excited to hear that the 6/4 Eb project is alive and progressing. Anxious to hear the review on the prototype.......it could indeed be a game changer.
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso