Cimera - 73 Advanced Studies - errata

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Cimera - 73 Advanced Studies - errata

Post by bloke »

This book ($1.00 price on my printed copy) never particularly intrigued me, but I'm hungry for music to read while playing (defacto new-to-me) B-flat tuba - particularly if it offers goofy harmonic twists and turns (so I actually have to READ the music, rather than merely easily/aurally recognizing where things are "going", and relying on decades-known finger patterns for arpeggios, scales, etc.)

Cimera isn't difficult, but it's just goofy enough to require my brain to work to hear everything in advance - as well as calculating the button-mashing for the double-sharps (etc.) which are tossed in fairly often.

The thing is this: There is/are tons of errata in the engraving (I'm fixing them in pencil as I play through the more attention-requiring etudes), though the engraving is quite nice-looking - an old (PRE-Belwin-Mills) BELWIN, Inc. - Long Island, NY publication.

Is there any known list of errata for this etude book?

Please visit and "like"...
instruments: https://www.facebook.com/midsouthmusic79
mouthpieces: https://www.facebook.com/Sellmansbergermouthpieces
2021 - 2024 Border Czar
the elephant

Re: Cimera - 73 Advanced Studies - errata

Post by the elephant »

I have come across some personal errata sheets by individuals, but beyond that, no. That book has between 25 and 30 misprints in it, IIRC.

Good book, but lots of "HUH?" moments when you are a kid and still foolishly believe that editors are all good at their jobs. Pretty much all stuff put out by Cor Publications is like this.
These users thanked the author the elephant for the post:
bloke (Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:11 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Now that music writing programs can PLAY the music, perhaps they are there are fewer errors, but the trade off between engraved/printed and current era created sheet music - which looks more like xeroxes - is the obvious difference in the quality of the appearance.

EDIT:
Of course, not all old published music was handsome. There were some pretty crude things put out. I recall a collaboration between Roger Bobo and a gent named Bixby that included a few Johann Sebastian Bach pieces written down super low for tuba, and that engraving was horrible. I also bought a book where by Cherry Beauregard transcribed Verne Reynolds 48 horn etudes for tuba, and it was handwritten on staff paper, badly xeroxed, and then plastic spiral bound. The staff lines had to be drawn back in with my ruler and a pen. Further, Walter Sear - who sold Cerveny tubas, composed, and also made "movies" 🤐 - some of his engraving featured multiple below-the-staff ledger lines that were jammed so close together that they appeared to be additional staff lines, and would soon confuse the eyes and brain.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

HISTORY and sociology (not politics)

Those who set up this Republic centuries ago - with no idea whether it would last even a decade - warned us against alliances. In our personal lives, we are told over and over by our parents, our betters, and later by our colleagues to mind our own business.
No individual, group of individuals, nor country has ever been completely nor even mostly moral, but I continue to observe the Swiss (about whom all of these same judgments can be made), notice that they avoid alliances, avoid joining into alliance-based warring, and don't boycott nor turn down business. They seem to do pretty well.
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

I believe that Cor Publications was Walter Sear.
These users thanked the author the elephant for the post:
bloke (Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:43 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

yes...

(' tried to stay on topic)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

The Cherry Beauregard / Verne Reynolds book has been out of print for a while. I've been trying to find a copy.

The version I had played off of before (photocopy) when I was auditioning for Falcone was typeset into music notation software, so I'm unfamiliar with the handwritten version.
Blake
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

LOL...There's some confounding stuff in them-there etudes.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

bloke wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:13 am Walter Sear - who sold Cerveny tubas, composed, and also made "movies" 🤐 - some of his engraving featured multiple below-the-staff ledger lines that were jammed so close together that they appeared to be additional staff lines, and would soon confuse the eyes and brain.
I pulled patch cords for the soundtracks on some of those "movies." Fond memories! Some familiar faces (at least for those in NYC tubadom in the mid/late 60s and 70s) had cameos. Yes, Cor publications was a Sear enterprise. Not sure who did the actual MSs. 'Twas not I. I remember the "Schmutzig Method" book. Anyone ever see that?
These users thanked the author Jim Williams for the post:
the elephant (Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:35 pm)
The artist formerly known as Snorlax.
Shires Q41 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 Baritone, Conn 50H trombone.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

"WILL 'WORK' FOR A
MODEL 68 STRING
LINKAGE TUBA
"

:red:
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Jim Williams wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:47 pmthe "Schmutzig Method" book. Anyone ever see that?
Our operations manager (one of our hornists) occasionally uses stuff from that in our monthly information letters. I loved that book but lost my personal copy.