Rotary Valve Upkeep

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
Alebeard

Rotary Valve Upkeep

Post by Alebeard »

Hello,

I got to thinking that I will be receiving my first personally owned rotary valve tuba. I have never had to maintain rotary valves before as most of the stuff I played in the past had piston valves. Figured this would be the best place to ask you all for tips and tricks on keeping the rotary valves in primo condition. I sincerely appreciate any feedback you can provide!

Cheers,
Jared

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Rotary Valve Upkeep

Post by bloke »

(others - perhaps not you, as you might be seeing this advice for the first time - are tired of reading my posts on this sort of thing...)

On the pivot ends (top and bottom - "bearings") use the THICKEST oil that does NOT slow down the rotors (possibly up to regular 30W that's out in your storage room for you mower). A needle oiler is probably what you would use to spill the least amount.

Down through the rotor bodies (sloshed through the main bore of the instrument through the rotors - probably introduced from the main slide outside slide tube) slosh a a generous amount of cheap oil (buy a gallon of "ultrapure paraffin lamp oil and refill little bottles as needed) back-and-forth (tilting the tuba this way and that) through them (while working the levers) several times before playing (and after playing helps as well. Obviously - as the excess finds it way to the main slide, empty it out.
Alebeard

Re: Rotary Valve Upkeep

Post by Alebeard »

bloke wrote:(others - perhaps not you, as you might be seeing this advice for the first time - are tired of reading my posts on this sort of thing...)

On the pivot ends (top and bottom - "bearings") use the THICKEST oil that does NOT slow down the rotors (possibly up to regular 30W that's out in your storage room for you mower). A needle oiler is probably what you would use to spill the least amount.

Down through the rotor bodies (sloshed through the main bore of the instrument through the rotors - probably introduced from the main slide outside slide tube) slosh a a generous amount of cheap oil (buy a gallon of "ultrapure paraffin lamp oil and refill little bottles as needed) back-and-forth (tilting the tuba this way and that) through them (while working the levers) several times before playing (and after playing helps as well. Obviously - as the excess finds it way to the main slide, empty it out.
Hey Bloke, forgot to say thanks for this handy info! Appreciate it!

Cheers,
Jared
These users thanked the author Alebeard for the post:
bloke (Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:27 pm)