Tubas in Wisconsin

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Tubas in Wisconsin

Post by ParLawGod »

Nice little article posted on the Wisconsin Public Radio website today.

https://www.wpr.org/tubas-history-unive ... band-polka

TriStateFans

Re: Tubas in Wisconsin

Post by TriStateFans »

Good stuff! Thanks for the post!
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Post by ParLawGod »

It's nice when people write articles about IMPORTANT things :smilie8:
These users thanked the author ParLawGod for the post:
Bessonguy (Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:19 am)
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

ParLawGod wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:50 pm Nice little article posted on the Wisconsin Public Radio website today.

The article mentions a tuba instructor named Mike Forbes which seemed familiar from this board. Is there a Mike Forbes here?

Interesting the mention of about two dozen sousaphones in the U Wisconsin Band. The marching band sousaphone is relatively easy to learn to play at the level needed to be in a college level marching band. In college, I had a number of friends who were in the marching band on sousie and only one of them played it upon arrival at college. A few of them had played some other instrument and knew the rudiments of reading music and rhythm but a few didn't even start at that level. Although I never liked it, marching band is kinda fun and schools usually have a sousaphone to use so you don't even need to own an instrument. It was something to do with friends and you get to wear flashy uniforms, march around on a field, make a lot of noise and get free tickets to the game. That, plus a desire to do it all as best as you can, can make a successful sousaphone career even if it is only for three or four years.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

The Big Ben wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:58 pm
ParLawGod wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:50 pm Nice little article posted on the Wisconsin Public Radio website today.

The article mentions a tuba instructor named Mike Forbes which seemed familiar from this board. Is there a Mike Forbes here?
Mike Forbes was a tuba player in the Sotto Voce quartet for a long time, and also composes/arranges stuff for tuba. I don't think he is active on the forums.

Unless I'm wrong, in which case, hi Mike!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

That's the same Mike Forbes, yes. Also played in Pershing's Own, and did his DMA at Maryland (while I was there).

A number of military guys went through Maryland while I was there... Mike Forbes, Scott Cameron (Army Field Band), Tom Holtz (President's Own)...
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bort2.0 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:06 pm That's the same Mike Forbes, yes. Also played in Pershing's Own, and did his DMA at Maryland (while I was there).

A number of military guys went through Maryland while I was there... Mike Forbes, Scott Cameron (Army Field Band), Tom Holtz (President's Own)...
Was that Toby Hanks teaching at the time? Makes sense if so.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Yes, that's when Toby was there. I took lessons from him, too. What a nice guy he was! :tuba:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
arpthark (Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:25 pm)
hrender

Post by hrender »

bort2.0 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:06 pm That's the same Mike Forbes, yes. Also played in Pershing's Own, and did his DMA at Maryland (while I was there).