Wrong hand, sir*!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.

As exegencies of the situation make life easier, how do you end up managing wrong handed playing?

No! just don't.
17%
Thumb indexed: thumb-first valve, index-seond, middle-third (etc.)
17%
Index indexed: Index-first, middle-second, ring-third (etc.)
33%
Thumb indexed backwards: thumb depresses highest numbered valve.
No votes
Index indexed backwards.
17%
Something even more creative.
17%

Total votes: 6

humBell

Wrong hand, sir*!

Post by humBell »

* or madam of course, but a movie homage is more remote the further it gets altered.

Not sure i have made poll yet, but i was pondering the subject last night, and figured i'd at least open the question.

Realizing that there are many different reasons this ight be done, and you get mad points with me if you are up to something that would fit in a Mnozil Brass performance.

And the most common reason i have had to do this is playing a sousaphone in a large band with repetitve bass parts continuous through a long song, it offers a chance to rest the hand, and the correct hand is more visible for passing signals to others indicating transitions. When i do it, depending how much the song uses the 3rd valve i waffle on indexing as the reach arround is an awkward stretch, but i do it in order.

But ihave bad idea or two this would be useful for...

And natureally i am more concerned with performance, but wouldn't mind knowing ettiquete pertaining to these circumstances...

"All art is one." -Hal
Breavdah

Re: Wrong hand, sir*!

Post by Breavdah »

On a sousaphone as I recall left thumb is valve #1. Index, or index and middle combined is valve #2. Valve #3, who even uses that one.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Yeah. If four valve tubas play better than five valve tubas, just think how great no valve tubas would play. :smilie8:
martyneilan

Post by martyneilan »

One soiled.
These users thanked the author martyneilan for the post:
humBell (Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:56 pm)
humBell

Post by humBell »

And i should take a moment to describe the actual circumstances that lead to this post.

The strap loop on a top action Eb i was busking with recently lines up with the top of the valves, making playing it normally awkward whether i go over or under the strap. The valves are low enough on the body a can mostly reach them left-handed, but my ring finger needs to stretch just a little for the 3rd valve, but thumbing the first valve just feels weird, as it messes with hand alignment. Still left-handed had the advantage of putting my fore arm against all the loose and muffling the rattling i think occasionally pops up from a brass or two being broken.

I am sure this will be useful knowledge when i am good enough to multitask.
"All art is one." -Hal
humBell

Post by humBell »

martyneilan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:36 pmOne soiled.
Do you have a Ms. Piggy?
"All art is one." -Hal