Props to Wessex!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tobysima`

Props to Wessex!

Post by tobysima` »

I was browsing the Wessex website, and they seem to have revamped both the Wyvern and the Mahler, and I must say, both of those tubas look GORGEOUS! On the Wyvern, they seem to be gold lacquered now, and the 5th valve rotor design has been reworked, and it look way nicer. The Mahler also seems to have been gold lacquered, and it has Overture by Wessex stamped on the bell. Beautiful engraving job. They have really been working hard, and I just want to congratulate them!

Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
KingTuba1241X

Re: Props to Wessex!

Post by KingTuba1241X »

3rd valve pull ring? Do C players need to pull that slide alot I thought maybe 1st would. That Mahler is now twice the cost of the Mack 410 and other variants. I wonder how well it plays in comparison.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

you're right, never looks at the all the engraving on the valves and spatulas before. That's a nice dressy touch.

I'm interested in what looks like the stop arm screws. Are those brass? Nickel silver? Looks like they are designed to be tightened by hand. Interesting, maybe they aren't stop arm screws at all? I don't really understand how Z valves work
Attachments
Screenshot (112) copy.jpg
Screenshot (112) copy.jpg (38.61 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
Yep, I'm Mark
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Mark, the very old Leningrad horns had those and were a pain the butt when they got old because they would keep backing out of the hole and the whole stop arm would pop off mid song at random. Maybe 1960's Soviet engineering was < Modern Chinese I don't know. But the engraving is neat on these at least.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

KingTuba1241X wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:04 am 3rd valve pull ring? Do C players need to pull that slide alot I thought maybe 1st would. That Mahler is now twice the cost of the Mack 410 and other variants. I wonder how well it plays in comparison.
BIG upcharge for double silver plating, (same as triple plating on other wessex horns for some reason) but the Gold brass version (out of stock) is only 800 more. I'm not familiar enough with the different valve design to be able to claim if that's worth it or not, but It is a really pretty tuba
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

KingTuba1241X wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:09 am Mark, the very old Leningrad horns had those and were a pain the butt when they got old because they would keep backing out of the hole and the whole stop arm would pop off mid song at random. Maybe 1960's Soviet engineering was < Modern Chinese I don't know. But the engraving is neat on these at least.

It might be something that looks like that design as a tribute, but functions differently. I know the Z valves come apart differently than a normal rotor
Yep, I'm Mark
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

LeMark wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:10 am
KingTuba1241X wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:09 am Mark, the very old Leningrad horns had those and were a pain the butt when they got old because they would keep backing out of the hole and the whole stop arm would pop off mid song at random. Maybe 1960's Soviet engineering was < Modern Chinese I don't know. But the engraving is neat on these at least.

It might be something that looks like that design as a tribute, but functions differently. I know the Z valves come apart differently than a normal rotor
That's what I understand it to be. The Z valves are meant to be easy to take apart and maintain, to what my limited knowledge on the subject is.
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I'm going to see if I can get Jonathan to check on this thread
Yep, I'm Mark
Doc

Post by Doc »

They put out a video on Z valve maintenance:

Z valves
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

Doc wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:15 am They put out a video on Z valve maintenance:

Z valves
Looks like solid rotary valves to me!
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

That is a nice video, but it doesn't show the stop arm screw. I'm wondering what they are made of. If they are brass, I would be nervous about eventually twisting them off, even by hand. I hope they are at least nickel silver
Yep, I'm Mark
Wyvern
Wessex tubas
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Wyvern »

Right now got to this thread!

To answer your points;

The fancy screw on the top of the rotary valves is based on traditional German design. You will find on some B&F and Alexander tubas. It is made of nickel silver, but should not have to be screwed hard on, as we now pay special attention that the stop arm is always tight on the top of valve - and the valve is tight in the bearings (no slack).

The Mahler CC tuba is an improvement overs similar design tubas from other suppliers in many ways. We have gone for the original size bell of the Miraphone 16.5” which does make it play better, the leadpipe is nickel silver, the rotary linkage is a lot more robust and made of nickel instead of brass. The stop arm is improved, Z-valves are fitted for easier maintenance and as well as double silver plating, the brass is four times as much polished for a much better finish - it is quite noticeable. This is done by Wessex now dedicated team of polishers (the most experienced at factory) and production of the Mahler although not in the high-grade workshop is now also done by a dedicated Wessex team - and even QA is done by dedicated Wessex team. This was all agreed with factory management last year as the only way to consistently reach Wessex quality standards which are considerably higher than any other company Jinbao supplies. Most importers from China just want made as cheap as possible, while for Wessex cost is secondary to quality. That is fully understood by management and production workers at the factory. The last batch, although we could not get to the factory to QA on site as usual were impressively high standard (made the warehouse manager exclaim “wow these are good”). I am in WeChat contact with the QA supervisor (a very nice young lady who has worked with Wessex for a couple years) who is dedicated to ensuring standards are maintained and will ask me if in any doubt on any area.
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

So is this horn proprietary to the Wessex line as in, built from scratch there or still supplied in part from Jinbao and assembled at Wessex? Just to clarify.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I think what he means is wessex has their own team at the jinbao factory, that exclusively works on their instruments
Yep, I'm Mark
tobysima`

Post by tobysima` »

Wyvern wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:09 pm Right now got to this thread!

To answer your points;

The fancy screw on the top of the rotary valves is based on traditional German design. You will find on some B&F and Alexander tubas. It is made of nickel silver, but should not have to be screwed hard on, as we now pay special attention that the stop arm is always tight on the top of valve - and the valve is tight in the bearings (no slack).

The Mahler CC tuba is an improvement overs similar design tubas from other suppliers in many ways. We have gone for the original size bell of the Miraphone 16.5” which does make it play better, the leadpipe is nickel silver, the rotary linkage is a lot more robust and made of nickel instead of brass. The stop arm is improved, Z-valves are fitted for easier maintenance and as well as double silver plating, the brass is four times as much polished for a much better finish - it is quite noticeable. This is done by Wessex now dedicated team of polishers (the most experienced at factory) and production of the Mahler although not in the high-grade workshop is now also done by a dedicated Wessex team - and even QA is done by dedicated Wessex team. This was all agreed with factory management last year as the only way to consistently reach Wessex quality standards which are considerably higher than any other company Jinbao supplies. Most importers from China just want made as cheap as possible, while for Wessex cost is secondary to quality. That is fully understood by management and production workers at the factory. The last batch, although we could not get to the factory to QA on site as usual were impressively high standard (made the warehouse manager exclaim “wow these are good”). I am in WeChat contact with the QA supervisor (a very nice young lady who has worked with Wessex for a couple years) who is dedicated to ensuring standards are maintained and will ask me if in any doubt on any area.
Might have to sell my horn to get one - It looks great and I bet it could do some wonders in Bruckner!
Toby Simard
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Bach 18
Mack EU1150S - SM2U
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I have found that the steel center screws used on quite a few Chinese rotary valves – and not just on standard-style Jinbao – are easier to break than nickel silver screws, as the steel screws are more brittle, and nickel silver is stretcher.
That having been said, (as long as mallet blows are true north to south) the steel screws are tough enough to use to drive the bearings free from the casings.
TIP:
To better control the swing path of any type of hammer or mallet, anchor your elbow against your rib cage.