the heartbreak of heliconkneesis

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

the heartbreak of heliconkneesis

Post by bloke »

...so how many of you did obligatory Mardi Gras parades on legs no longer fit for marching in one?

UncleBeer

Re: the heartbreak of heliconkneesis

Post by UncleBeer »

15 minute "parade" for the fancy people. No harm done.
Last edited by UncleBeer on Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author UncleBeer for the post:
bloke (Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:22 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

My only obligatory one was up a steep hill for a short block, another short block to the left, another short block to the left, another short block to the left, and back down the steep hill to the party location. I managed, even though I had one sore foot and a way-too-leaky-valves (which worked me to death...just remember how loud we're expected to play, when playing NOLA brass band music) borrowed sousaphone.

This was in Jonesboro, Arkansas, and every other time I've been there, I had avoided downtown (until doing this parade/party last year and this year). Heading off the freeway into the downtown area sort of slapped me in the face that - duh - Jonesboro sits on Crowley's Ridge. Just past the exit, the road "up" into town resembles the first chain-driven upward hill on a roller coaster ride...and then even-more-and-even-more up-up-up. :bugeyes: :thumbsup:

ImageImage
Crowley's Ridge is an interruptive "lump" (rising up c. 250' - 550' higher) right in the middle of the Arkansas delta. Most believe that it's a millions-of-years-ago western bank of a massively-wider Mississippi River/glacier. To me, it's a "breath of fresh air"/"cool drink of water" in the middle of a dreary/agricultural/dusty/rice-bug-ridden vast-land.

...Otherwise, here is a dreary/typical view :smilie4: of the flat-flat-flat Arkansas delta itself...actually: Stuttgart, Arkansas:
During plowing or burning, the Arkansas delta is particularly "scenic". :smilie6:

Crowley's Ridge can be starkly jutting up - in the background:
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

I marched with the Salvation Army at the Detroit thanksgiving day parade many years ago but I had to use a beat up small Holton tuba. One of the tuba players was the other Eb bass in the brass band I played in. He cracked up when I started playing the intro to “the undaunted” on that worn out old tuba. “Oh stop!” He said. We had been playing that so much to compete at nabba we all had it memorized at that point.

I don’t know how I would do marching with my little king Eb sousaphone. Probably not much lighter than a BBb with the 4th valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob Kolada
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bob Kolada »

One of the nice things about not playing in groups anymore is that I don't have to march with a sousaphone again, and my feet/knees/back/shoulders thank me. 😆