Hard Cases for Sousaphones

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
RenoDoc

Hard Cases for Sousaphones

Post by RenoDoc »

I just bought a 1925 York Sousaphone. The horn is in great shape but the hard case it's in has seen better days (functional but old). I tried fitting the horn in the SKB sousaphone case and it's a tad too big for that hard case. Any suggestions for a different hard case or soft case? I'm not seeing anything with a quick search
Much Appreciated

Andy Pasternak
Hirsbrunner HB7
Conn Naked Lady 14K
1918 York and Sons 33
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Hard Cases for Sousaphones

Post by bloke »

RenoDoc wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:54 pm I just bought a 1925 York Sousaphone. The horn is in great shape but the hard case it's in has seen better days (functional but old). I tried fitting the horn in the SKB sousaphone case and it's a tad too big for that hard case. Any suggestions for a different hard case or soft case? I'm not seeing anything with a quick search
Much Appreciated
I have a sort of cool old old probably smaller Holton case here that's holding together pretty well, but I think it would be too expensive to ship.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
RenoDoc (Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:50 pm)
Please visit and "like"...
instruments: https://www.facebook.com/midsouthmusic79
mouthpieces: https://www.facebook.com/Sellmansbergermouthpieces
2021 - 2024 Border Czar
humBell

Post by humBell »

RenoDoc wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:54 pm I just bought a 1925 York Sousaphone. The horn is in great shape but the hard case it's in has seen better days (functional but old). I tried fitting the horn in the SKB sousaphone case and it's a tad too big for that hard case. Any suggestions for a different hard case or soft case? I'm not seeing anything with a quick search
Much Appreciated
A local craigslist posting offered 2 for free. I sent an email but got no response, so i assume they were claimed and poster is too lazy to take it down.
These users thanked the author humBell for the post:
RenoDoc (Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:50 pm)
"All art is one." -Hal
pjv

Post by pjv »

Try MTS.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The JP case is built just like MTS but fits King and probably not Conn 20K. They might end up having some of those cases in the US again sometime in the reasonably near future.
For now, every case has an instrument in it.
travisd

Post by travisd »

I’m sort of in the market for one as well - something not too bulky that will fit a 80’s King fiberglass Sousa. Not really interested in new pricing for the MTS since it’ll probably only get used once a year maybe.
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

There are a couple of the used flight cases on eBay. I’ve watched one for a long time. Been on there listed for more than a year. I believe but can’t confirm that SKB and MTS appear to be very similar. Not sure one would be bigger than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kirley

Post by Kirley »

@RenoDoc, next time you roll through the Bay Area (and you wanna bring your sousaphone), you're welcome to come try all of my bags and cases. I'm in Oakland.

Bags: old style ProTec and leather Gard
Cases: MTS and Wessex helicon (I removed some of the glued in blocking so it also fits sousies).
RenoDoc

Post by RenoDoc »

Kirley wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:36 pm @RenoDoc, next time you roll through the Bay Area (and you wanna bring your sousaphone), you're welcome to come try all of my bags and cases. I'm in Oakland.

Bags: old style ProTec and leather Gard
Cases: MTS and Wessex helicon (I removed some of the glued in blocking so it also fits sousies).
Thanks! If it ever stops snowing over Donner Pass, I'll take you up on that!
Andy Pasternak
Hirsbrunner HB7
Conn Naked Lady 14K
1918 York and Sons 33
Kirley

Post by Kirley »

BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

My Holton's hard case is in bad shape. A local percussionist friend was rebuilding a boat and offered to patch up the holes with his leftover fiberglass. It's a great job, and my only issue is the gaff tape I used to cover the spots the black cover was torn on didn't stay stuck to the case. I'm debating on seeing if the iron will stick the tape down better, but in general, I'm probably only going to use the case in rare occasions.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.